• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Freeway speeds

So for me on my 2020 NC750X DCT it is just like driving my wife’s Grand Caravan on the freeway. Not overpowered but enough to get out of its own way. Is it a Hellcat? No. But it gets the job done. With no worries. Drop a gear crank the throttle and it will do what you want it to with time to spare. The flick ability of this bike is great. Throw it where you want it.

I was in the Highway Traffic Safety business for 24 1/2 years, over the road sales, 5 days a week, 200 miles (on average) a day. I learned it was most conducive for me to travel in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway. The far left lane is for the speeders, the far right hand lane for the mergers getting on the freeway and those slowing down to exit and the really slow people. Meanwhile I just kept motoring at my speed limit +5. Not trying to tell anyone what lane they should ride in, but I have learned what works for me.
To a point I agree but in urban traffic I don’t linger in the middle lane. The right lane and middle lane is the kill zone on many urban freeways. Drivers merging onto the freeway are often impatient of merging traffic ahead of them and cross the solid white of the ramp in order to get into the middle or left lane as soon as possible, crossing one or two travel lanes without hardly a check of their six and don’t or can’t see the car or motorcycle in middle lane. It causes accidents around here up to several times a week. On rural stretches it’s much less of a risk of course.

Regarding following the “wall” directly ahead never do it, it’s another killing zone. Instead ride to the left or right of car/truck wheel tracks of vehicles ahead in order to see far ahead and many seconds ahead. Cagers won’t consciously run over debris in a wheel track and will normally juke around it. If you can always position yourself to see 10 or 15 seconds ahead we can get early warnings of something in the roadway.

If you are not paying attention and suddenly two or three freeway lanes ahead are full of brake lights, tear your eyes away, don’t look at the “wall” blocking your lane but focus on the escape route between lanes. Freeway lanes are 12 feet between stripes and cars are only 6 to 6.5 feet wide. Tractor trailers are 8.5 feet wide. A three lane freeway with all lanes blocked give us several escape routes a brain in panic mode cannot see even though they perhaps 4 to 8’ wide, more than enough width to provide safe passage. If you are already in or just outboard of the wheel track and in the habit of looking around the vehicle ahead it’s a simple maneuver to move over and lane split to safety.

Safest or the most aware riders are always changing lane positions in order to see and be seen and have an out.

I was in the Highway Traffic Safety business for 24 1/2 years, over the road sales, 5 days a week, 200 miles (on average) a day. I learned it was most conducive for me to travel in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway. The far left lane is for the speeders, the far right hand lane for the mergers getting on the freeway and those slowing down to exit and the really slow people. Meanwhile I just kept motoring at my speed limit +5. Not trying to tell anyone what lane they should ride in, but I have learned what works for me.
I agree with the center lane theory. However, I strive to ride in places where there is only one lane to chose from and I only see another vehicle at all on the road every 5 minutes or less. Avoiding freeways is my preference.

To a point I agree but in urban traffic I don’t linger in the middle lane. The right lane and middle lane is the kill zone on many urban freeways. Drivers merging onto the freeway are often impatient of merging traffic ahead of them and cross the solid white of the ramp in order to get into the middle or left lane as soon as possible, crossing one or two travel lanes without hardly a check of their six and don’t or can’t see the car or motorcycle in middle lane. It causes accidents around here up to several times a week. On rural stretches it’s much less of a risk of course.

Regarding following the “wall” directly ahead never do it, it’s another killing zone. Instead ride to the left or right of car/truck wheel tracks of vehicles ahead in order to see far ahead and many seconds ahead. Cagers won’t consciously run over debris in a wheel track and will normally juke around it. If you can always position yourself to see 10 or 15 seconds ahead we can get early warnings of something in the roadway.

If you are not paying attention and suddenly two or three freeway lanes ahead are full of brake lights, tear your eyes away, don’t look at the “wall” blocking your lane but focus on the escape route between lanes. Freeway lanes are 12 feet between stripes and cars are only 6 to 6.5 feet wide. Tractor trailers are 8.5 feet wide. A three lane freeway with all lanes blocked give us several escape routes a brain in panic mode cannot see even though they perhaps 4 to 8’ wide, more than enough width to provide safe passage. If you are already in or just outboard of the wheel track and in the habit of looking around the vehicle ahead it’s a simple maneuver to move over and lane split to safety.

Safest or the most aware riders are always changing lane positions in order to see and be seen and have an out.
With those people getting on the freeway, it is incumbent when you are on a motorcycle to watch these people getting on and anticipate what they might do and prepare for that.. usually that means squirting ahead of the first person merging so it doesn't matter what they do behind you.

Also since we live/travel in different locales, all of our freeways are not the same even though they would look the same if empty. The freeways I've ridden on in California outside of San Fran and again around San Diego, thru Chicago and Atlanta and Miami and New York City and Dallas-Ft Worth were 10 times worse, no make that 50 times worse, than the freeways here in southern Ohio, northern Kentucky, and central Indiana where I do the majority of my freeway riding, even though freeway riding is maybe 1% of my motorcycle riding. My freeway riding here is pretty much drama free as long as it isn't rush hour.

But experience and paying attention to your surroundings whether rural or urban will go along way towards keeping you alive. We can't foresee or anticipate everything, but we can foresee and anticipate a lot..if you are paying attention.

Last edited:
I agree with the center lane theory. However, I strive to ride in places where there is only one lane to chose from and I only see another vehicle at all on the road every 5 minutes or less. Avoiding freeways is my preference.
Of course that's likely the kind of riding that many of us like to do but if you don't live in a place with those roads at the end of your driveway you might have to ride 15-45 minutes from home on urban arteries to get there. Being safe and confident during urban riding including freeways is relevant to post #1.

With those people getting on the freeway, it is incumbent when you are on a motorcycle to watch these people getting on and anticipate what they might do and prepare for that.. usually that means squirting ahead of the first person merging so it doesn't matter what they do behind you.

Also since we live/travel in different locales, all of our freeways are not the same even though they would look the same if empty. The freeways I've ridden on in California outside of San Fran and again around San Diego, thru Chicago and Atlanta and Miami and New York City and Dallas-Ft Worth were 10 times worse, no make that 50 times worse, than the freeways here in southern Ohio, northern Kentucky, and central Indiana where I do the majority of my freeway riding, even though freeway riding is maybe 1% of my motorcycle riding. My freeway riding here is pretty much drama free as long as it isn't rush hour.

But experience and paying attention to your surroundings whether rural or urban will go along way towards keeping you alive. We can't foresee or anticipate everything, but we can foresee and anticipate a lot..if you are paying attention.
The phrase I find myself saying the most while riding thru my urban jungle is SEE ME insert your own expletive.

I live an hour outside of Chicago, but I'm in a very rural area, despite my proximity to the city.

There are roads in/around Chicago that I would NEVER consider riding any motorcycle on. Dan Ryan Expressway, 8 lanes each direction, is one of those roadways.

I have no issues riding fast. I have no issues riding on rural divided highways. But damn if you think you can convince me to go into some of the urban areas with the crazy traffic.

I live an hour outside of Chicago, but I'm in a very rural area, despite my proximity to the city.

There are roads in/around Chicago that I would NEVER consider riding any motorcycle on. Dan Ryan Expressway, 8 lanes each direction, is one of those roadways.

I have no issues riding fast. I have no issues riding on rural divided highways. But damn if you think you can convince me to go into some of the urban areas with the crazy traffic.
Just took my first trip on 290 last night. After 2am. From 11pm-3am especially on weekends people tend to what I call “race and chase” down 290 west. Incredible dangerous for motorcycle riders that are just a small set of tail light among many while some teenagers weaves in an out of lanes with other behind. I got on the expressway-as we call it-just long enough to get through some undesirable areas of Chicago and then off again entering the near western burbs.

Just took my first trip on 290 last night. After 2am. From 11pm-3am especially on weekends people tend to what I call “race and chase” down 290 west. Incredible dangerous for motorcycle riders that are just a small set of tail light among many while some teenagers weaves in an out of lanes with other behind. I got on the expressway-as we call it-just long enough to get through some undesirable areas of Chicago and then off again entering the near western burbs.
My daughter recently moved from Wrigleyville to the South Loop. I'd have no issue riding anywhere around her, in fact anywhere north of Comisky Park, but I don't simply because I'd have to ride on the Dan Ryan or through some incredibly undesirable areas. 2 bad choices. So I use a car to visit her. 290 can be crazy too.

I'd actually ride 294 if I had no other option, that roadway is typically fast but sane.

My 2021 NC750X DCT is squirrelly at freeway speeds while riding behind cars and trucks, very susceptible to turbulence. Almost scary...

Going to the original question;
NC = No Cajones
Not a fast bike. Not a quick bike.
Not what it's made for.
Not why we buy them.
Freeway speeds? 80, no problem. The sweet spot for my NC is about 70-75. Low vibration, and the tall gearing keeps the bike at low RPM's. I genuinely like this bike for what it is. Very enjoyable. And if price point is a factor, you hands-down can't beat an NC.

If you are not concerned with price (at all), you might explore the BMW line of mid displacement bikes. The F750, F850, and F900 are fabulous (the 900's are strangely the least expensive due to low sales). They can all be ordered with "low suspension" and low seats from the factory, if need be. A couple of these models have nearly double the HP and are time-traveling spaceships compared to any NC. And BMW will actually let you ride demo motorcycles prior to buying. I had no such courtesy from Big Red.

Good luck in your search, RidingPassion

I explained to someone once that it was fine on the highway, but if you are going 65 and need to go 80 to pass, you need to make an appointment.

I just don't enjoy riding a motorcycle on a freeway. I only do it if necessary.
I have taken I-5 from Seattle North to the Canadian Border, and short stretches on Canada Highway 1.
Sometimes I take I-5 South from Seattle to Olympia, WA and then turn off and head west to the ocean.
My wife and I love to take trips involving the ferry boats around here. Motorcycles don't have to wait in line the way cars do.
I guess I am not offering much to this discussion.
However when my bike's speedometer reads 80 my GPS indicates more like 73. I could re-calibrate, but I like it this way.

I was about 20 cars (yes, I was in my car) behind a fatal motorcycle accident on Sunday.

Traveling northbound on IL-394 just south of I-94 (feeds into Chicago) at the US30/IL-394 cloverleaf

I saw the brake lights illuminating in front of me and traffic rapidly slowing and was right at an exit, took the exit and saw people getting out to help the vehicles involved. Initially didn't see much. Then saw the bike in the ditch, front wheel up in the air.

That whole stretch of road is crazy. It is like a drunken race track all the way up into the city. About 15 minutes later I was on I-94 (straight up the roadway from the accident as IL-394 merges into I-94) and was doing about 70mph (going with the flow of traffic) when 3 sport bikes passed me at what I'd guess was 100mph.

About 2 miles farther north I saw brakes lights and stopped traffic but I was at the Chinatown/22nd Street exit ramp at that point. I just hope it wasn't the sport bikes.

I do my very best to stay off the interstates

I have taken I-5 from Seattle North to the Canadian Border, and short stretches on Canada Highway 1.
Sometimes I take I-5 South from Seattle to Olympia, WA and then turn off and head west to the ocean.
My wife and I love to take trips involving the ferry boats around here. Motorcycles don't have to wait in line the way cars do.
However when my bike's speedometer reads 80 my GPS indicates more like 73. I could re-calibrate, but I like it this way.
My 2018 NC750X has consistantly shown 1 or 2 miles per hour over at 60 mph per the radar I ride through.

RIP the rider involved.

While specific sections of interstates like that described may be outliers the fact is that interstate travel is far safer than highways and undivided secondary and rural roads. This holds true year after year in many studies. While it's difficult to parse out motorcycle fatalities from other vehicles by road type there's no reason to believe that motorcycles buck the statistical data that interstates are twice as safe compared to highways.

I avoid interstates when I can but it's not always possible and if I consider the many times higher risk that riding an interstate-parallel secondary urban artery provides it's the interstate for safety.

My 2018 NC750X has consistantly shown 1 or 2 miles per hour over at 60 mph per the radar I ride through.
Yes, my NC's speedometer is almost dead on compared to GPS. Be aware that mudtrack's bike that he referred to is not an NC7x0X.

NC will do anything you need to do on the slab. It is NOT a crotch rocket, wasn’t meant to be. If you want to slice and dice with interstate speed cars this may not be for you. If, on the other hand you want a competent, reliable machine that will happily run way above any posted speed, deliver great fuel economy, and makes a great light tourer, the NC is your ride

Today was windy. The NC is certainly not as planted as my old cruiser (makes sense). It is a bit more high sail and requires a bit more attention. Not bad, it just keeps you awake a bit.

RIP the rider involved.

While specific sections of interstates like that described may be outliers the fact is that interstate travel is far safer than highways and undivided secondary and rural roads. This holds true year after year in many studies. While it's difficult to parse out motorcycle fatalities from other vehicles by road type there's no reason to believe that motorcycles buck the statistical data that interstates are twice as safe compared to highways.

I avoid interstates when I can but it's not always possible and if I consider the many times higher risk that riding an interstate-parallel secondary urban artery provides it's the interstate for safety.
Generally speaking the wide swaths of Interstates are SAFER than most roads.

I happen to live in a horrific area from the road safety standpoint.

To my East is I-65 in Northern Indiana, it is closed at least 1x per week for serious accidents. They have been improving the roadway, widening it to 6 lanes, but it is not enough. It is not lawless and crazy but it is just so damn busy because it is the only road, and over crowded that it just is a bad place to take a bike. The exit nearest to where I live is often the "detour" point for the closures which happen both to the north and the south of the nearby town. Just a cluster!

To my north is I-94 in Indiana. That is a total mess. Especially at the I-90/I-94 merger area and the I-94/I-65 merger area. Accidents 24/7. 6 to 8 lanes. Speeding traffic to Stop & Go.

To my northwest is IL-394 to I-94 into Chicago, again a madhouse. And as I described above, nearly lawless and fatal.

Due west are I-57 and I-55 in Illinois. Both are actually reasonable interstate roadways. Boring to ride, but safe rides, while not my first choices I'd consider both as routes.

As stated earlier, I'd consider riding I-294 on a bike if I had to do it, it is mostly sane. It is the interstate route that was the loop around the Chicago/Suburban areas but the suburbs have expanded far to the outside of I-294 now so the area actually needs another bypass that is farther outside the city/suburban sprawl. Still, I-294 is somewhat sane on the south and west side but turn totally nuts nearly I-290 westbound out of the city and on the Northwest side of Chicago near O'Hare airport, but mostly pretty reasonable traffic flow south of O'Hare or I-88.

Last edited:
Back