• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front Brake Caliper Upgrade - Part Numbers?

OEM front pads on NCs are HH.

Note that in Motorcycle Consumer News tests back in 2012 the 60 to zero test results put the NC700X in very good company, that of 600cc sport bikes, and in a shorter distances than many bikes.

The feel at the lever may be less sensitive than sport bikes and lack of feedback may underlie the general notion that the single disk setup needs help but in stopping power it is perfectly adequate. Even at the end of long spirited mountain downhill runs I've never noted brake fade or wanted for more braking power.

Last edited:
Stopping distance on sportbikes (on good pavement) is limited by wheelbase and ride height: the rear wheel comes up before the front locks.

Since the NC700 has a significantly longer wheelbase, and a fairly low center of gravity, it makes sense that it does fairly well at stopping quickly.

With the bike loaded up I end up using 4 fingers, not something I exactly like doing. I prefer more sensitive brakes, and the feel isn't great either.

OEM front pads on NCs are HH.

Note that in Motorcycle Consumer News tests back in 2012 the 60 to zero test results put the NC700X in very good company, that of 600cc sport bikes, and in a shorter distances than many bikes.

The feel at the lever may be less sensitive than sport bikes and lack of feedback may underlie the general notion that the single disk setup needs help but in stopping power it is perfectly adequate. Even at the end of long spirited mountain downhill runs I've never noted brake fade or wanted for more braking power.

I found and revisited the other brake thread I mentioned earlier, looked like some may have been misinformed and thought the oem pads were organic, but someone else chimed in and said oem pads are HH sintered.

Here is that thread.
EBC vs OEM brake pads

And here is a quote from 670 *from that thread linked above* where he tried EBC HH pads on his Goldwing and did not like the grabbiness of them, but in this thread said his oem Wing pads were also HH, so what is the difference in EBC HH and oem Goldwing pads that are also HH that makes the EBC's that much more grabby? I assume the oem HH pads on 670's Goldwing were also sintered, as the NC's also appears to be.

Ditto on the OEM pad choice. I put EBC HH pads on my Goldwing and disliked them due to their abrupt “grabbiness”, so I went back to OEM. I’m sticking with OEM pads for the NC, although I’m still on the originals at 40,000 miles.

HH is just a standard of friction coefficient measured in a specific manner of test samples starting cold and achieving hot temperatures. Since it is a range some pads are barely over the HH line and other HH pads could achieve higher numbers. The methodology doesn’t measure feel or other objective criteria.

HH is just a standard of friction coefficient measured in a specific manner of test samples starting cold and achieving hot temperatures. Since it is a range some pads are barely over the HH line and other HH pads could achieve higher numbers. The methodology doesn’t measure feel or other objective criteria.

Ah, learn something new every day. I like it. I suspect within a year I will throw some EBC HH pads on my NC and report results when I do.

I got EBC HH's simply based on price. The OEM cost more. Have done the rears already. Will do the front on my next maintenance day.

Those are my calipers.........traded my 700X for a vintage bike back in September.......dumb mistake (but have other bikes to ride in the stable). I will make someone a "deal" on the two calipers I have..........
mark444

Those are my calipers.........traded my 700X for a vintage bike back in September.......dumb mistake (but have other bikes to ride in the stable). I will make someone a "deal" on the two calipers I have..........
mark444
PM sent

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I watched ebay for a few months and was able to scoop up a like new caliper for $33 shipped. It took more time to bleed the line than swapping the caliper. It certainly stops faster. A couple people asked in another group if you could use the factory bracket, but you can't. the one that come with the CBF is larger and needed to mount the caliper. Now I have to justify spending the money for the rear, just so I can have matching gold.

20190704_102508 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20190704_104547 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20190704_111550 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20190704_111657 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

I watched ebay for a few months and was able to scoop up a like new caliper for $33 shipped. It took more time to bleed the line than swapping the caliper. It certainly stops faster. A couple people asked in another group if you could use the factory bracket, but you can't. the one that come with the CBF is larger and needed to mount the caliper. Now I have to justify spending the money for the rear, just so I can have matching gold.

20190704_102508 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20190704_104547 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20190704_111550 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20190704_111657 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr
hi, do you think these fit will a 2015 nc750D ABS model? Does someone has any alternatives for enhancing the brakes on my bike?

Hello, first, sorry to dredge up an old thread! I was curious if anyone happened to try a 12 - 16 VT750CS (Honda Shadow Aero ABS) ABS front caliper? Looks promising. Wondering if that bracket (minus the extra ABS bit) would align the caliper properly on a 2012/13 non-abs NC700X.

.Capture.JPG

Hello, first, sorry to dredge up an old thread! I was curious if anyone happened to try a 12 - 16 VT750CS (Honda Shadow Aero ABS) ABS front caliper? Looks promising. Wondering if that bracket (minus the extra ABS bit) would align the caliper properly on a 2012/13 non-abs NC700X.

.View attachment 44485
Why would you want a cruiser caliper on an NC?

Why would you want a cruiser caliper on an NC?
Guessing they are attempting to get a three piston caliper “upgrade” ???

I used “upgrade“ because of the frenzy back in 2012-2015 when this was some what popular.........but comments like this were also common:
“ I would say it increases the front braking force "somewhat" on the 700X, not "night and day" difference.”

Back