• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Frunk Latch won't close

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
I know people have had this issue in the past but this is a first for me and Ive taken the panels off a couple times before.

I did the air filter a couple of days ago and ever since the latch won't work correctly. The key seems to work, I can press down on the latch with a screw driver and it will lock and unlock with the key. It seems like either the lid isnt going down far enough or the key lever isnt moving back into place properly.

I have taken it apart three times to make sure it was installed correctly. I cleaned all the grease and gunk off and applied new grease. When apart the key disengages the latch fine. It doesnt always move back completely into place after but if I push down on the latch with a screwdriver it seems to lock fine even though the lever isnt fully engaged.

I've read a bunch of the posts about others having issues and couldnt find a solution. I'm open to thoughts.

Did you run the wire through the lock mechanism area? There are pegs you have to run the cable around. The frunk won't operate properly if the cable doesn't run in the right way

No, I don't think it's the cable unless it got stretched somehow which seems unlikely. I didnt remove the cable bracket the first time when I did the air filter. And I took it apart today to make sure it was installed correctly. Sill won't close correctly. I was able to get it to shut by hitting it hard but applying a lot of pressure does nothing. It almost seems like it isnt going in deep enough even though the lid is closing correctly and tightly. Even if the cable lever wasnt sliding back all the way turning the key the other way slightly should move it into the correct position.

This is a really annoying problem.

Did you get this figured out? Your original assumption sounds like it is right on the mark. Here are some photos & measurements from my '12 NCX for comparison:
The ruler measures: 1" from top of plastic to the movable metal part on the latch. The latch loop protrudes 1.5" from the lid and the latch metal is just visible above the plastic. Also check to make sure the lid is closing all the way. It's always possible the latch mechanism is correctly positioned, but something is preventing the lid from fully closing?

Good Luck!
IMG_20210627_061242372.jpgIMG_20210627_061434251.jpgIMG_20210627_061710288.jpg

This probably isn't the problem but check the weather seal on the frunk lid to make sure it hasn't moved out of position. When I purchased my 2012 (used) the seal had folded over near the hinge and would cause the lid to require more pressure to close.

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried everything and it still wont latch without hitting it hard. I've pulled it apart a dozen times and everything seems to be working and lining up correctly.

It is such a small annoying issue though.

Back