• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Frunk open button Mod

Another video:

[video=youtube;Pd8ksxibXog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Pd8ksxibXog[/video]

Personally I think it is not needed.
The original design using the same key could have incorporated a "safety" consideration. Never open the trunk while engine is turned on (assuming you are riding the bike).
It is sort of same safety thing about not able to watch a video while driving, etc.

Just my interpretation. Some people would like this. I do not. Too much trouble.
:p

There is another way to get easy access to the storage compartment and open the rear seat. Search for the thread "creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment" and you will find instructions on how to make a key knob.

Bob

I got an extra key and cut the top off and used a rubber knob to set the key inside to make a knob for the frunk. I don't have to remove my key from the ignition to open the frunk. It's very handy and I'd recommend doing it.

Some use plastic knobs but I like the grip that rubber provides. YMMV
Mike

Love the idea. Wait till you accidentally lock you key in the frunk. Sucks!!

Although it was my own stupidity, I hated my NC at that moment. Haha

Some use plastic knobs !! no doubt you'll feel like a knob when you come to find the frunky lid is open coz some knob left the key knob in.

I got an extra key and cut the top off and used a rubber knob to set the key inside to make a knob for the frunk. I don't have to remove my key from the ignition to open the frunk. It's very handy and I'd recommend doing it.

Mike

IMHO the best thing to use for the knob is a black GoldWing audio knob. They can be ordered from your friendly Honda dealer for around $5 and if you cut the key short enough to minimize the gap between the knob and lock it looks like a factory part. The only people I've shown it to that realized it was actually a key were ones that already knew the lock was in that location.

Bob

I agree. What happens then if your battery dies and it won't start? How are you going to open it to access the battery from the frunk? Unless it still retained the ability to use the key to open. In which case. What's the point?

Looks like it retains the ability to use the key. It is a solenoid that pulls a cable that is attached to the release. Looks like an electric version of the emergency release cable Handabikepro came up with when his frunk lock broke.

Last edited:

Mike

Some use plastic knobs !! no doubt you'll feel like a knob when you come to find the frunky lid is open coz some knob left the key knob in.

IMHO the best thing to use for the knob is a black GoldWing audio knob. They can be ordered from your friendly Honda dealer for around $5 and if you cut the key short enough to minimize the gap between the knob and lock it looks like a factory part. The only people I've shown it to that realized it was actually a key were ones that already knew the lock was in that location.

Bob

Do you also leave your house keys under the door mat or under the flower pot?
how about your car keys under the left front tire?

Honda should have design so that a button can be pressed to open the frunk, of course be able to lock it too... Kind of like the BMW side bags designed.

I open my frunk pretty often on rides, it's kind of troublesome to have to insert key to open every time....

Honda should have design so that a button can be pressed to open the frunk, of course be able to lock it too... Kind of like the BMW side bags designed.

I open my frunk pretty often on rides, it's kind of troublesome to have to insert key to open every time....

Yeah, even worse to have to pull it out of the ignition and shut off the bike because you forgot your ear plugs, gloves, etc...

Happy and johnakay,
The only time I have the key knob in the lock is when I'm on the bike or its in my garage. I didnt mean to give anyone the impression that i was advocating leaving the key in an unattended bike. It's just a very convenient way to open the frunk and gas filler. I also use it if I want to get something out of the frunk while riding. The lid is actually in very still air even on the freeway.
Having said that, your obvious concerns for my security have made me realize that I could forget and leave the key in the lock so I destroyed it. Of course I then realized that I might some day also forget to remove the ignition key, so I destroyed that also. Then I got to thinking about my house keys....... Gee, thanks to a simple mod that sounded like such a good idea initially I'm now homeless and without transportation. :)

Bob

I guess im a lucky one.the dealer had a blank key made for mine.it only opened the frunk and gas so they could leave that key in it and not have to worry about someone starting the bike.they gave me the key.

Do you also leave your house keys under the door mat or under the flower pot?
how about your car keys under the left front tire?

Uuuuhhhhhh, you can remove it and put it in your pocket if needed. Surely you are not that dim and just being a smartass.
Mike

Back