• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Frunk Survey

fiestcr

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious as to how many of you ride around with the Frunk unlocked? I never lock mine unless i have something valuable in there. It doesnt fly open; even on the interstate. Didn't know if i was alone in this.

thanks

I assume by unlocked, you mean unlatched. Mine is always latched. The one time it wasn't was a oversight. I had to go back a quarter mile and find a lost hat on the highway after it blew open.

On the other hand you can just make the knob key mod and have it "unlocked" but latched.

I made a small key with a knob on it for mine, so it is closed most of the time, with the key in it.
Key gets removed when left alone.

I always lock mine except when I don't. The times that I don't (which is not on purpose) it has not come open. I'm not sure how fast I was going. Maybe the type of windshield you have makes a difference.

Mine will stay down with the stock screen, after I put the vStream on something started hit my stomach at about 70 mph.
The air moves differently with the big screen on, I latch it with both now so it becomes a habit every time.

+1

I find that to be true. I had an ErMax that always flew open around 40 mph. Now with my Puig, I've been up to 90 mph and it stayed closed (unlatched). So I leave it unlatched when I ride just in case I need to toss something inside real quick.

I just finished today the knob-key mod for the 2016 bike. The knob seems to need to be smaller than on the older bikes. I would say max 1 inch diameter. And the key is expensive. It cost me £30 ($40) to get a non-chipped key duplicated.
Mike

It doesnt fly open; even on the interstate.
Rider faster ;-)

I modified a GL1800 radio button and now I have instant access. One of the cheapest, best mods I did thanks to someone on this forum....

IMG_2926-L.jpg

IMG_2918-L.jpg

The radio button is a stock GL1800 item and is sorta a rubbery soft material that is super easy to grip w/riding gloves on. I really don't open it while riding (too deep to find anything in it) but a great place to keep my garage door opener and I can keep the bike running while I fish it out.

Last edited:
Mine is locked all the time, except when it is parked in my garage. Rode with it unlatched once while I was carrying a large box. It didn't want to fly open at speeds below 45 MPH.

Mine opens sometimes, but not every time, if I ride with it unlatched behind the Honda Touring screen. So, I don't ride that way any more.

I've never ridden with it unlatched, but if I think I may want to get something out while riding, I just put my second key in the frunk lock and remove it when I remove the ignition key. It doesn't look as good as the knob, but it works until I get around to copying the key and making a more integrated looking alternative.

I've never had the lid come open while moving. I don't leave it open intentionally, but it happens, usually after leaving a gas station.

With my dduelin trunk key mod, I would never imagine needing to leave the lid unlatched. If I had to only rely on taking the ignition key out in order to open the thing, ya, I can see where there might be a desire- right up until the point of making the key knob mod.

Generally I'm a bit too OCD to leave things unlatched in the first place, though. If I'm feeling a bit twitchy in my parking location and I have valuables left in the trunk, then I will take out the key knob and carry it away with me just to be on the safe side.

With my dduelin trunk key mod, I would never imagine needing to leave the lid unlatched. If I had to only rely on taking the ignition key out in order to open the thing, ya, I can see where there might be a desire- right up until the point of making the key knob mod.

Generally I'm a bit too OCD to leave things unlatched in the first place, though. If I'm feeling a bit twitchy in my parking location and I have valuables left in the trunk, then I will take out the key knob and carry it away with me just to be on the safe side.
If I feel the spidy sense to lock and secure the frunk I drop the frunk key in the frunk and lock it up. The ignition key retrieves the frunk key later.

I try to keep mine latched. I have had it open at higher speeds when not properly latched. Lost some insurance papers that I wasn't going to go back to get.

Back