• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel Bladders instead of MSR bottles?

670... that is correct. I too see a 8-10mpg hit with all three of my boxes on. A little less on the slower state highways and slightly more on the Interstates...Oouch!

I found these...
Giant Loop Gas Bag Fuel Safe Bladder | eBay

They have 1gl or 2gl available for the same price... :{)

When I looked, 1 gallon size was $35 more than 2 gallon size.

Giant Loop's MSRP prices, at their own website, are:
1 gallon = $149.99
2 gallons = $199.99
3 gallons = $239.99​
That makes the 3 gallon a "bargain" on the 'per gallon' of capacity basis. I do like the idea I can strap a bladder over the top of the rear seat with the dry bags on the days that I need extra fuel capacity and fold it away for the rest of the trip. Realize also I can upsize the bladder and carry fuel for BOTH of the motorcycles making a bladder easier to utilize for my needs. Carrying 2 gallons on my bike any other way would be tough. Carrying 1 gallon on my bike would be fairly easy but carrying 1 gallon on her bike, with her Givi V35 boxes would be tougher.

For comparison 2 MSR bottles hidden away are only 1/2 gallon and the cost of 2 MSR bottles + 2 fabric holsters or Tool Tubes costs more than upgrading from a 1 to a 2 gallon Giant Loop bladder. Again, it costs roughly $160 to carry 1 gallon of gas with MSR bottles versus $150 for 1 gallon with Giant Loop. Upgrade to 2 gallons with Giant Loop and the cost is $200. So double the capacity of the MSR bottles for only $40 more. That is still a lot more expensive than the system that Colorado Chris found on Amazon, but again, the form factor of the Amazon fuel can he found is not as convenient for mounting and the capacity is lower than the Giant Loop 2 liter bladder.

Desert Fox's 1.3 gallon bag and $48 + Shipping, if it is possible to get in the US, would be the best answer by my way of thought. I could buy 2 bags, strap 1 on each of our motorcycles, gives us 2.6 gallons of extra fuel for maybe $150 (assuming $50 to ship 2 bags together). And the fuel bags could be stowed away easily when not needed.

EDIT: MX Store in Australia will ship 2 of the Desert Fox 6 Liter bladders for AU$257.60, which works out to US$182.31 That works out to 12 liters, or roughly 3 gallons for $20 less than the price of a Giant Loop 2 gallon bladder.

NOT really sure I'd want one of the bargain ebay fuel bladders. They don't have any tie down loops like the Giant Loop or fabric carry bag like the Desert Fox. I do want to carry safely and quite honestly I don't know that I would trust those bladders. I'd also have to stow them inside something else so they could be strapped onto to something. Just don't know about those.

Last edited:
I had Givi fixed pannier racks on the 2012 and they were convenient for mounting tool tubes in otherwise wasted space but I never found myself more than 75-100 miles from fuel. Given this experience when I outfitted the 2015 I went with detachable SW Motech racks that I only install when needed so there is no convenient or practical location to mount tubes and I don't miss them. The extra fuel or storage is convenient but stopping for gas at 75-100 miles when necessary is not that bad and actually very rare for where I travel.

I've never used the fuel bladders, but experience with filling flexible camping water bottles, camelback packs, wine storage bags, etc. makes me skeptical of the ease with which fuel can be filled and emptied from these bladders vs a rigid can. I'm not saying the bladder can't work, but I can picture a clumsy moment resulting in a fuel spill mess.

I just ordered 2 of the DESERT FOX 6 liter fuel bags. Ordered them from Australia. I tried to order from South Africa but could not get an answer from the supplier and could not actually get an order to process through their website. Price from South Africa would have been a bit less expensive due to exchange rates, but I never actually got a shipping price quote from them so it is just a guess that the price would be lower.

Overall I really think the price is crazy expensive to carry extra fuel safely on a motorcycle. However, carrying it in an unsafe manner is even crazier.

The flexible pillow shaped "fuel bladders" seem to me to be the best options. Easy to stow away when not needed. Strapped on the rear seat with the camping gear when it is needed would center the weight on the motorcycle.

For our planned trip we probably will only need to carry extra fuel for part of the trip, basically the rural areas on the Canadian side of the border. The population centers are closer together on the American side of the Great Lakes so it is unlikely we'd need any sort of extra fuel, despite the limited travel range of our motorcycles. I like the idea of being able to fold up the empty fuel containers and stow them away when we don't need them, which is most of the time. Having a bulky fuel canister strapped somewhere on the bikes 100% of the trip seems pretty awkward and inconvenient, especially since there is no ideal place to actually mount a fuel can.

Now I do NOT plan to carry extra fuel every day, all day, when I'm riding anywhere near my home. So my ideal (and I can understand that might not be your ideal) container is not something that will be a permanent addition to our motorcycles.

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.31.36 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 9.20.36 PM.jpg

I've never used the fuel bladders, but experience with filling flexible camping water bottles, camelback packs, wine storage bags, etc. makes me skeptical of the ease with which fuel can be filled and emptied from these bladders vs a rigid can. I'm not saying the bladder can't work, but I can picture a clumsy moment resulting in a fuel spill mess.
One of the things I like about the DESERT FOX fuel bag is that it has a flexible fuel spout. The Desert Fox bags don't vent like a rigid can so it might actually be fairly easy to control the flow.

On the other hand the GIANT LOOP fuel bags do not come with a fuel spout. They sell an optional funnel. As you point out, that does seems like a clumsy moment waiting to happen and will likely result in a fuel spill. So I would agree that there are downsides to fuel bags, especially if they don't have a fuel spout.

Last edited:
I had been contemplating one of the knockoffs. This conversation finally got me off the mark and I ordered one. It is scheduled to arrive mid Nov, so it will be a while before I know whether or not it will work. My plan is to mount it on the exposed frame tube above the passenger footpeg. Hopefully that will clear the Givi side cases and my legs..... I will report back with pictures and impressions once it arrives.

It arrived today, so they beat their shipping estimate by 10 days or so. I went out and held it up to various places on the bike..... nothing jumped out as "the perfect spot" so I will probably play around with it some more and then mount it somewhere on one of the bags....

It's not a rotopax, but looks to be fairly sturdy. The included mount is plastic but should suffice. More when I actually go out and play with it.

My Desert Fox fuel bladders while I was out of town. Picked them up from the post office today. Impressed with the initial inspection.

424A05C6-66CA-4CD5-AF04-5352B08CF007.jpg657ACCF5-6912-49F1-930B-302FDB7A2A60.jpgF97A6639-7A07-453A-A9D6-ADDAD4D48B1E.jpgD2226F5B-94A4-4206-A613-A1ED589447CA.jpg

It arrived today, so they beat their shipping estimate by 10 days or so. I went out and held it up to various places on the bike..... nothing jumped out as "the perfect spot" so I will probably play around with it some more and then mount it somewhere on one of the bags....

It's not a rotopax, but looks to be fairly sturdy. The included mount is plastic but should suffice. More when I actually go out and play with it.

Which ones did you order? Link?
Can you give us the measurements of the container?
I was thinking of mounting one inside the left pannier rack. Trying to find a container that will fit inside the sw-motech rack.

JT

Which ones did you order? Link?
Can you give us the measurements of the container?
I was thinking of mounting one inside the left pannier rack. Trying to find a container that will fit inside the sw-motech rack.

JT
I have the GIVI racks, so I can't help much. I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM3Y5D9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is 12.2 x 9.8 x 4.7 inches so thicker but shorter and narrower than a real Rotopax. I was hoping it would fit in front of the side cases, mounted to the frame, but there is still a lot of stuff in the way that will make the mount have to stick out too far. I am still contemplating, and may get some actual garage time in the next few days to see where I want it.

That's what I have for additional fuel:
2dd4ea4c634ece651cf7975c623b7a70.jpg

Надіслано від мого SM-G950F, використовуючи Tapatalk

Okay, 5 months later ( but hey it was winter in Colorado) I got it mounted up. I was less fond of the location than I thought I would be. I can just imagine it not doing well on one of my unplanned trailside get-offs....

IMG_20190417_120757704.jpg IMG_20190417_120807201.jpg

I am looking for a top case with a flat lid to mount it too. If anyone has a Monokey compatible top case of 42L or greater that they would like to get rid of, or trade for a curved 33l Givi Monokey top case let me know.

IMG_20190417_120912051_HDR.jpg

Okay, 5 months later ( but hey it was winter in Colorado) I got it mounted up. I was less fond of the location than I thought I would be. I can just imagine it not doing well on one of my unplanned trailside get-offs....

View attachment 38027 View attachment 38028

I am looking for a top case with a flat lid to mount it too. If anyone has a Monokey compatible top case of 42L or greater that they would like to get rid of, or trade for a curved 33l Givi Monokey top case let me know.

View attachment 38029

What kind of highway pegs are those?

Also, I measured inside my side racks and it looks like I can fit a gas can like that between it and the rear tire. Have you tried fitting yours inside your rack?

JT

What kind of highway pegs are those?

Also, I measured inside my side racks and it looks like I can fit a gas can like that between it and the rear tire. Have you tried fitting yours inside your rack?

JT

The pegs are Kuryakyn 7920 Motorcycle Foot Controls: Offset Dually ISO Highway Pegs with Magnum Quick Clamps for 1-11/32" (1.35") Engine Guards/Tubing, Chrome https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00514CAJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will buy a knockoff gas can, but something that has to support my weight and would be unfortunate if it failed gets the real thing.

The gas can is about 4 3/4" thick and would not fit behind the rack, I tried.

I know this is an OLD DEAD thread but I just saw an advertisement from Twisted Throttle show up on my news feed.

The very same Desert Fox fuel bladders that I paid about $95 (including shipping) are now available for sale from a US retail for the modest price of $135 (including shipping). I have 2 of these sitting, unused on my parts shelf, if somebody is interested I'd happily sell one in new/never used condition for the same price I paid for it.

YIKES, I know prices are climbing and inflation is becoming pretty obvious, but damn. I have 2 of these, seems like a crazy price to pay for a fuel bladder. Yet these are still probably the LOWEST COST way to carry spare fuel when you are out and about in rural areas and unsure of the distance to your next fuel stop.

Last time I priced it all out, MSR bottles are one of the most expensive ways to carry extra fuel but have the advantage of being able to be tucked into a tool tube or otherwise stuffed into unused space. Rotopax systems are not cheap and hard to mount, but are a pretty good solution too.

Anyway no other reason to post this other than the fact that I was shocked at the price increase.

Last edited:
I know this is an OLD DEAD thread but I just saw an advertisement from Twisted Throttle show up on my news feed.

The very same Desert Fox fuel bladders that I paid about $95 (including shipping) are now available for sale from a US retail for the modest price of $135 (including shipping). I have 2 of these sitting, unused on my parts shelf, if somebody is interested I'd happily sell one in new/never used condition for the same price I paid for it.

YIKES, I know prices are climbing and inflation is becoming pretty obvious, but damn. I have 2 of these, seems like a crazy price to pay for a fuel bladder. Yet these are still probably the LOWEST COST way to carry spare fuel when you are out and about in rural areas and unsure of the distance to your next fuel stop.

Last time I priced it all out, MSR bottles are one of the most expensive ways to carry extra fuel but have the advantage of being able to be tucked into a tool tube or otherwise stuffed into unused space. Rotopax systems are not cheap and hard to mount, but are a pretty good solution too.

Anyway no other reason to post this other than the fact that I was shocked at the price increase.
I guess I don’t find it shocking as I always thought unreasonably high prices were common at Twisted Throttle.

Don't' know if this is DOT approved but I've carried fuel in/on ATV's SxS and my DRZ 400 and TW 200 using Auto Zone one gallon red plastic cans for years. They were $5 or so on sale a few years back and I bought five. They are easy to strap on or put in my tool boxes on bigger vehicles and fit most anywhere on the bikes. They are EPA approved spouts so they don't leak until you try to pour out the gas...I'm sure others have experienced these. I use a 12 gal boat tank in the SxS for long trips and they work great...yard sale price of $7 I think. I put a tire valve stem in the top and pressurize the tank with my tire pump and use the hose that came with the boat tank to pump into the vehicle tank...no spills and no mess. I routinely put Stabil in the gas and only use alcohol free gas so if I don't use it for awhile it is still good gas.

Just a thought for cheap containers and extra fuel.

As long as we are revisiting this thread and I've updated the pricing on the DESERT FOX Fuel Bladder it seems logical to update the pricing on some other items. To refresh everyone's memory, my goal (in a couple different threads when this was an active topic) was to carry at least 1 gallon per bike on a trip that entailed a 1500 mile transit on the Trans-Canadian Highway.

Primus/MSR type fuel bottles, 1 liter = $20 each
Tool Tube to hole fuel bottles = $17 each
Cost to carry 1 gallon of fuel = $148
* 4 required for 1 gallon, its pretty easy mount 2 of these but finding 4 places to mount them on each bike could be more problematic?

Desert Fox 5 Liter Bladder = $135 at TwistedThrottle

Giant Loop 1 Gallon Bladder = $150 at Revzilla

Rotopax 1 gallon canister, with mount = $60
Rotopax Gasflask for motorcycles, 1.25 Gallons = $100
* Finding a suitable mounting point may be problematic for some people, but a Dales Rack seems like a good spot

SW Motech Fluid Bottle, 1/2 Liter = $20 each
SW Motech Bottle Mount/Carrier = $55 each
Cost to carry 1 gallon of fuel = $150
* 2 required for 1 gallon, its pretty easy mount 2 of these on rectangular panniers but more difficult to mount on contoured side cases
giant_loop_fuel_safe_bladder_750x750.jpg
swmotech_auxiliary_fluid_bottle_2_liters_750x750.jpg
swmotech_quick_lock_fuel_canister_accessory_mount_for_trax_alu_box_cases_750x750.jpg
image_16.png SAM_3599.jpg

Last edited:
Back