• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel tank full, one bar on gauge, not flashing.

What is the model year of your NC?

My understanding is that one bar won't flash until there is 1.5 litres left in the tank.

I did check a 2012 service manual (I don’t have a 2015). There is a fuel meter blink sequence involving all five bars that indicates an error, but no mention of a condition with a single non flashing bar.

Silly question, so forgive me, but what is the color of the single, non flashing bar? Red or black?

Last edited:
It's red.
The mpg readout still works. But the digital readout for gallons in tank reads 0.0.
I suppose it's a sensor in the tank, or maybe a float.
But if it 'thinks' it's out of gas, seems that it would flash.
Thanks for your input. I'll be taking it to my friendly, neighborhood Honda shop. They said to bring it in about the middle of January. Snow on the ground anyway.
Will post the outcome; seems mine is the only case of this happening so far.

OK, we all know this, but the red bar is permanently “painted“ on the background reflective sheet of the LCD display. Whether the display has power or not, the red bar is there. The black bar, when active, sits in front of the red bar, and is slightly larger. If you look at an angle, you can see the red bar behind the black one. The whole purpose of the permanent red bar is so that with a monochome display, Honda can create the appearance of a flashing red/ black bar to get attention.

I think the MPG readout works by comparing distance traveled with fuel injector duty cycle. It probably doesn’t care how much fuel is in the tank.

All that being said, something is not right. The mystery here is why your gauge appears to show no fuel when you say it has a full tank. Also, on a 2012 or 2013, there is no valid fuel display where the power is on, and the red bar shows continously without a solid or flashing black bar on top of it. I thought 2014 and 2015 were the same way but maybe not. It almost sounds your display is bad, what Honda calls the “combination meter”.

Since I am not familiar with the ‘14, ‘15 display with the fuel remaining feature, I cannot advise on your 0.0 fuel remaining display. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

My guess is the fuel level sensor is stuck in the down or empty position. The flashing is the meter and it’s activated by the fuel sensor being in the low position for some set period of time.

DIY fix or check.......aggressively shake, rock or bounce the bike and see if the issue changes.
There is ohm check of the level sensor in the shop which would confirm the position and or value of the sensor being sent to the meter.

Attachments

• 6D2BE2B1-C063-4958-A293-E392A64A08CF.jpeg
    6D2BE2B1-C063-4958-A293-E392A64A08CF.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
I can aggressively shake, rock and bounce.
Think I'll pump out about 1/2 of the gas so it'll slosh about while I do that.
Not knowing where the float sits inside the tank, could fishing around with a wire be a stupid thing to try?

I can aggressively shake, rock and bounce.
Think I'll pump out about 1/2 of the gas so it'll slosh about while I do that.
Not knowing where the float sits inside the tank, could fishing around with a wire be a stupid thing to try?
If you fish around with a wire and hook something you can’t see or can’t unhook from, you could end up doing damage. I wouldn‘t advise it. Before you approach it from a mechanical point of view, you would be better to do some electrical checks. Perhaps there is a loose wire/bad connection.

670 cc. No, we didn't all know that the red bar is permanently painted on the display. But now we do.
Yeah, I figured better not to go poking around blind inside the tank.
Revzilla lists the fuel pump assembly at about $550.
Anyway, the problem resolved itself. I now have 5 bars. Possible explanation: it had been sitting for a few months with low gas. Another explanation: posting the thread caused cosmic vibrations to loosen it up.
Thanks for taking an interest in my flukey problem.

Steve did you shake or bounce the bike ? And now it’s reading correctly.

or

Did it just spontaneously just fix itself with no intervention on your part ?

Apparently the correction was spontaneous. If in fact it was faulty in the first place.
I have hardly driven this bike and am not used to it. Reading the manual (last resort), I found that there is an option for adjusting the background illumination.
The bars aren't very vivid, kind of a light grey. And it's possible that with sunlight, the bars just aren't very discernible.
However, that being said, I'm pretty sure I had one solid grey bar behind the red bar.
But now I have 5, and will just be keeping an eye on it to see if it happens again.
The Colorado weather isn't being cooperative for much test riding right now.

Back