• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Full Exhaust on NC700X

mnooooa4

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! New to the NC700X and the Forum. I've spent the past few days reading posts about exhausts, but have not been able to find a straight answer to my questions. I'm hoping someone who has installed a full exhaust can chime in or point me in the right direction. Or even embarrass me with a link to a previous discussion on the topic. :eek:

Did anyone encounter issues after installing a full exhaust (Arrow or Leo Vince)? Was a fuel controller required?

This is my first adventure-type bike after many, many years of sport bikes. I got the bike because I wanted a more practical 2-up bike so I can enjoy riding with my kids. Don't miss the horsepower of the sport bike - I never liked going fast in a straight line and the NC seems to have the torque when needed around corners and curves. I don't mind giving up some gas mileage since my last bike only got me 35 MPG. I do miss the deeper throaty sound when riding since my last 5 or 6 bikes were Ducatis. I suppose I can just install a slip-on and be done with it, but I wouldn't mind losing the cat if it does not introduce unwanted flat spots and mess up the power curve.

Thanks,
Pedro

Full exhausts and fuel controllers don't seem common on our bikes.

Check out youtube for NC700X with various slip-ons. Much cheaper than full exhaust and it sounds like a different (and meaner) machine. The unofficial exhaust mascot of the forum is the Danmoto XG-1, as seen in this thread and this one. Cheap as chips and adds noticeable growl:

[video=youtube;-cylVnAqwRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cylVnAqwRg[/video]

The deeptone sounds amazing.

The bike will never be a glorious Ducati but this might scratch the itch a bit:

[video=youtube;C5k2rcG8FMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5k2rcG8FMo[/video]
I love how he tosses the baffle. The deeptone baffle sounds (in other vids) like it does a better job reducing dB than the danmoto one.

EDITED to add: there are several youtube vids showing Ducs and other exotics with the XG-1. The most ferocious example I've heard is this aprillia that sounds like the Voice Of G_d. Wait for that throttle blip about 30 seconds in:
[video=youtube;wwUowwlNfPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwUowwlNfPE[/video]
O. M. G.

Last edited:
I know a few as well as myself who have the Leo Vince decat pipe and an after market silencer on the end of it. I have no issues at all and the bike has an improved power delivery with a wider torque curve. I had been thinking of changing bikes as I wanted more go especially over 70 mph but now I have that and am happy :)

Also added a K&N air filter at same time so cant say how one mod runs without the other. A worthwhile mod in my opinion if you are looking at giving your NC700 a bit more get up and go and without any noticeable effect on fuel consumption...

I originally had a slip on which gave a nice deep tone but after adding the Leo Vince decat pipe the tone got even deeper and the boost in power is evident. Just adding a slip on end can alone wont do much but improve the tone and looks.

Last edited:
I also have the Leo Vince decat with the stock muffler, but will upgrade to a full exhaust whenever I come across their muffler at a great price. I have read several reports from owners elsewhere with a full system and none had used a fuel controller. ECU reset only. All raved about the difference in performance which lead me to buy the decat. Adding a new muffler will do nothing to performance because of the huge catalytic converter that chokes the system. I have even noticed improved fuel economy as well. If all you want is an improved sound, a new end can alone will serve you well.

I have toyed with the idea of installing some slip on's but later decided to just go with the standard. Why need to wake up the neighbours?
:D

Seat of the "pants dyno testing" does not count...............making more noise does not equal more power :eek:

A few real dyno tests from remapping and slip exhaust show a very very very sight power change after a whole lot of money was spent. With compromises in the power at some rpm ranges and hit on overall MPG. Remapping and ECU changes have been less impressive with the few that have been tested.

There have been no published tests on cat delete, slip on exhaust and K&N filter actually making positive measure able changes in power, drivability or MPG. The stock torque curve starts low and remains extreme flat and level during the entire rpm range .....this is a good thing. Getting this desirable torque or power curve did not happen by accident........so thinking modifications that are going to make some wonderful new found power or MPG and allow the current drivability is not real likely. Making more noise is the easy part.

The K&N filter has its own controversy that are well hashed and rehashed here and on many other forums. Most of the controversy around flow vs dirt control............

Seat of the "pants dyno testing" does not count...............making more noise does not equal more power :eek:

A few real dyno tests from remapping and slip exhaust show a very very very sight power change after a whole lot of money was spent. With compromises in the power at some rpm ranges and hit on overall MPG. Remapping and ECU changes have been less impressive with the few that have been tested.

There have been no published tests on cat delete, slip on exhaust and K&N filter actually making positive measure able changes in power, drivability or MPG. The stock torque curve starts low and remains extreme flat and level during the entire rpm range .....this is a good thing. Getting this desirable torque or power curve did not happen by accident........so thinking modifications that are going to make some wonderful new found power or MPG and allow the current drivability is not real likely. Making more noise is the easy part.

The K&N filter has its own controversy that are well hashed and rehashed here and on many other forums. Most of the controversy around flow vs dirt control............
Dyno Schmino........ Elton says it well.

".........A couple of the sound that I really like
Are the sounds of a switchblade and a motorbike
I'm a juvenile product of the working class
Whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass......."

|

While adding a slip on that increases the sound can give the impression that the bike becomes faster, adding a full system makes a very noticeable gain. However do not take my word for it, several of us have done this mod now and are reaping the reward of a bike that can pull better especially at the high rev range. It is a lot better now when cruising in 6th, no need to change down to overtake and that was one of the reasons I added a decat pipe as I could see the difference between mine and my friend with a NC700X who added a decat pipe before me. He was accelerating to overtake at higher speeds and my stock NC700S just could not keep up, but now I no longer have that problem :)

I have toyed with the idea of installing some slip on's but later decided to just go with the standard. Why need to wake up the neighbours?
:D

At risk of sounding like a terrible killjoy, I'm with Happy here... I live fairly close to a busy intersection and find it hard to enjoy evenings out by the pool when every minute some guy with a straight-piped bobber, a beefed-up V-twin, or a sport bike with some exhaust mod goes by. I understand there's a sense of power in the noise, and some potential for improved performance, but at whose expense?

My apologies if this sounds rude or offensive, but I felt it needed to be said.

(Public service announcement over.)

|

While adding a slip on that increases the sound can give the impression that the bike becomes faster, adding a full system makes a very noticeable gain. However do not take my word for it, several of us have done this mod now and are reaping the reward of a bike that can pull better especially at the high rev range. It is a lot better now when cruising in 6th, no need to change down to overtake and that was one of the reasons I added a decat pipe as I could see the difference between mine and my friend with a NC700X who added a decat pipe before me. He was accelerating to overtake at higher speeds and my stock NC700S just could not keep up, but now I no longer have that problem :)
Not that your word isn't good but a dyno curve is out there all to see and then make informed judgements about improvements or losses from tuning changes.

It might be as simple is seeing on paper a pipe that gives noticeable improvement on the top end while reducing power in the low or mid range. A change like that might actually be a loss if you don't want to rev the engine to the top all the time to get the minor gain. Not saying that's the case for your example but just throwing something out there that was the case with a bike I owned.

Not that your word isn't good but a dyno curve is out there all to see and then make informed judgements about improvements or losses from tuning changes.

It might be as simple is seeing on paper a pipe that gives noticeable improvement on the top end while reducing power in the low or mid range. A change like that might actually be a loss if you don't want to rev the engine to the top all the time to get the minor gain. Not saying that's the case for your example but just throwing something out there that was the case with a bike I owned.

Dave you make a good point and I will be happy to get a Dyno test done if you are paying ... just send payment to [email protected] :)

no mean to be rude to step to off subject.

for street use the power gain vs the money spend is pathetic IMO. the full advantage can only be use in the race track if that was you intention with the NC you got the wrong bike. NC are not meant to be for a race track bike. if you do stupid speed in the street is very irresponsible. in order for you to make gain of power FROM the exhaust you will need to rev high, meaning this is not for street use. but get whatever you like, whatever make you happy.

but remember, we need our hearing sense when riding, this is how we detect danger in nature same goes when riding. not to mention self induced hearing loss would be even more pathetic. anything over 85db will damage you ear permanently. yes full exhaust will be over 85db

here is a bit of info with video.
Noise
Dangerous Decibels » How Loud is Too Loud?

not to forget to mention that this will benefit no one: the damages to your hearing, hate by your neighborhood, and more damages to the environment by removing the cat conv. if you get any gas $ saving from it, it will take you many years before you break even for what you spend on exhaust

the full exhaust belong in a competition race track. this is where you can do this responsibly as a citizen . In this forum we should not be condoning or encouraging this type of mod for everyday street use.

but again, i dont mean to offend or be rude to anyone. i know many of you have done this mod. but be aware what other think of it, they perhaps just don't have the guts to tell you. but again i understand that this might be a mod that make you happy, but do it responsibly, unfortunately you live with others on this planet. not thinking what other feel about you action is a very selfish way of living, as this action WILL affect others. if you have kids, guess what?, they learn from your actions. if you can see pass your wants for a minute , open you mind as this is just an opinion with observation.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and since everyone is different, there are going to be a lot of opinions, lol.

The hows and whys of someone doing something they want to, are never going to be understood by everybody. The for and against arguments and rationalisations from either side of the topic, will continue to the end of time.

Trying to foist those opinions on others, no matter the perceived self righteousness, is where the slippery slope begins IMHO.

I know a few as well as myself who have the Leo Vince decat pipe and an after market silencer on the end of it. I have no issues at all and the bike has an improved power delivery with a wider torque curve. I had been thinking of changing bikes as I wanted more go especially over 70 mph but now I have that and am happy :)

Also added a K&N air filter at same time so cant say how one mod runs without the other. A worthwhile mod in my opinion if you are looking at giving your NC700 a bit more get up and go and without any noticeable effect on fuel consumption...

I originally had a slip on which gave a nice deep tone but after adding the Leo Vince decat pipe the tone got even deeper and the boost in power is evident. Just adding a slip on end can alone wont do much but improve the tone and looks.

Have you tried any airbox mods beside the K&N?
I’ve been following along on the CRF250L thread on advrider. They do a full exhaust change but have found that the airbox is also a limiter. Apparently the CRF250L has a small snorkel inlet for the airbox similar to the NC. People have come up with a few different ways to open the box up with a larger diameter snorkel or just cutting more holes in the cover. They also have a programmer and recommended settings for it depending on if you have done slip-on, full exhaust, airbox mods.

I have the Leo Vince can on my bike. The only reason I put it on was for the sound. I didn't get any performance gains and was not looking for performance gain. I also did not remove or alter the baffles. Just wanted a little aural stimulation! But it does weigh less than the stocker!:p
Your results may be different!:(

I’ve been following along on the CRF250L thread on advrider. They do a full exhaust change but have found that the airbox is also a limiter. Apparently the CRF250L has a small snorkel inlet for the airbox similar to the NC. People have come up with a few different ways to open the box up with a larger diameter snorkel or just cutting more holes in the cover. They also have a programmer and recommended settings for it depending on if you have done slip-on, full exhaust, airbox mods.

No not looked into that myself but no doubt someone somewhere will have or will do something along those lines

On the CTX forum there is a guy who has done extensive airbox mods. Actually, he removed the airbox entirely and put in a K&N style pod filter. He also had a custom exhaust made since they don't make one for the CTX. He is extremely happy with his modifications. No fuel programmer either, just let the ECU do its thing. There are some guys doing beautiful custom exhaust work over there. I agree that the cost to benefit ratio for a full exhaust (hell, just the end can even) do not add up. To be honest if I didn't see a killer price on the decat I never would have bought it. If I don't come across an equal deal for the end can I won't buy one in the future either. The prices of some mods are crazy stupid like a $400-500 Yoshimura etc... BUT, when you come across a deal why not? Also there was an outfit in Germany last year doing extensive mods to the NC and getting big gains (high 60's for horsepower if I remember). They removed the rev limiter, had a custom Power Commander built by Dynojet, and other crazy stuff. Tough to read after translating the pages, but not as tough as initially trying to find their web page (of which I don't remember). If you have some free time on your hands do some international searching and you'll find some dyno numbers.

I've talked to quite a few knowledgeable tuners over the years. Increasing the size of the intake or finding a way to ram more air in is good. Cutting holes in the stock air box is something they definitely did not recommend. The airflow in and around the air box could be subject to wild fluctuations depending on speed, conditions, etc. While it may provide the desired benefits of more air at certain times the turbulence at some speeds may actually give you less.

Back