• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

FWIW - Blackstone Oil Analysys

Chabon

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I would post up my most recent oil analysis by Blackstone Laboratories. I thought someone might find this information useful. If anyone else has oil analysis it would be interesting to see the results.

This is for a 2015 NC700 DCT with 78,000 miles and 7,450 miles on Rotella T6.

05A02853-721A-4D1C-8209-66FCEBA8D7BA.jpeg

Ive seen a few people post theirs here on the forum and it seems a lot of people are of the opinion these reports don't really help very much.

I did one just for the hell of it a couple of years ago though so here is mine.

13 NC700XD-201030.jpg

I am pretty familiar with oil analysis from the aviation world. A single report basically has no value -- you either want to do it every oil change, or not at all. The trend is what you are looking for.

For a relatively inexpensive car or motorcycle, it does not seem worth doing. Fun to see the data, though.

Thanks for sharing!
It continues to surprise me, although I’ve known it for a decade (having done UOAs on this bike over time), just how much fuel the NCX puts into the oil. BSlabs’ fuel content estimates are _badly_ understated. When they say 1.0%, you very likely have >3% fuel, perhaps 4%+. If one uses a lab that actually measures fuel content, via GC, one sees 3 - 4% routinely, even on an all-highway bike in hot weather (like mine). One generally thinks that’s grossly too high in a car or pickup.

IDK whether Honda is running these bikes super-rich, or if the rings don’t seal super-well compared to a car engine, or the engine misfires quite a lot, or just what the exact combination of causes is. I just know there’s a lot of fuel in the oil on every one of these bikes’ UOAs I’ve seen.

Many factors why gas is in oil.... factors include leaking of the fuel injectors, incomplete combustion of the fuel, low engine temperatures, long periods of idle time and frequent short-distance driving. Also pyrolysis...heating of motor oil to high temps produces gases including gasoline.

So does engine design, including valve timing, ring placement, design, & tension, injector design & location, and a ton of other things. The relevant point here is that the NCX puts a LOT of fuel into the oil even out on the highway in warm to hot weather, and it does it from new. Thus, it appears more likely design issues than individual bikes’ maintenance problems.
The other, but really more relevant point, is that if fuel content is of interest to someone, they must _NOT_ use BSLabs. They must use a lab that measures fuel via GC.
As far as an engine converting engine oil into gasoline— LOL!

Back