• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gas gauge issue

Just a follow up. Oddly, my gas gauge began "acting" normal again.
And , I do use fuel stabilizer.......Stabil and or Seafoam. Ferret is correct......10% Ethanol fuel here......can't seem to locate unmolested fuel. Perhaps there was a small dirt Grimlin in the midst???. All's good so far. Thank you for all the responses

I've used Seafoam as a stabilizer for a dozen years or more. It seems to work. For cleaning a sensor, though, would a fuel injector cleaner make more sense?

Just a follow up. Oddly, my gas gauge began "acting" normal again.
And , I do use fuel stabilizer.......Stabil and or Seafoam. Ferret is correct......10% Ethanol fuel here......can't seem to locate unmolested fuel. Perhaps there was a small dirt Grimlin in the midst???. All's good so far. Thank you for all the responses
Good deal. Yea probably just a grain of dirt in the system.

My Turn....gas pump didn't " click off" and I over filled the tank.
Sure enough 80 miles later I'm still on FULL . After reading these posts I'll just wait and see if it comes back on its own
How can you “overfill“ a tank and affect the fuel gauge on a tank that is open at the top? The gasoline will simply run over the filler neck and the fuel sender wouldn’t be affected. I always fill up so with any more fuel added, it would run over. I‘ve been doing that for 61,000 miles. No problems will fuel seeping, leaking, or evaporative canister problems, ever.

If I’m getting 80 mpg, the first fuel bar on my 2012 disappears at 80 miles. Report back as to when, if ever, you gauge reading begins to fall.

How can you “overfill“ a tank and affect the fuel gauge on a tank that is open at the top? The gasoline will simply run over the filler neck and the fuel sender wouldn’t be affected. I always fill up so with any more fuel added, it would run over. I‘ve been doing that for 61,000 miles. No problems will fuel seeping, leaking, or evaporative canister problems, ever.

If I’m getting 80 mpg, the first fuel bar on my 2012 disappears at 80 miles. Report back as to when, if ever, you gauge reading begins to fall.
I had 1 gallon of gas pouring over my seat and unto the pavement , I'll never trust another pump to shut off on its own again.

Gauge started working intermittently on and off my commute home.
and now works 100 %.

I had 1 gallon of gas pouring over my seat and unto the pavement , I'll never trust another pump to shut off on its own again.

and now works 100 %.
I never have, nor will I ever use gasoline pump auto shutoff on any motorcycle or scooter. It's a recipe for a mess, as you know.

I never have, nor will I ever use gasoline pump auto shutoff on any motorcycle or scooter. It's a recipe for a mess, as you know.
Yep, me neither. I don't even trust the auto shutoff for our cars. I hold the gas pump till I see they are almost full. My 2013 Nc700 is not carb rated, if the gas overflows it goes down the hole/little rubber tube and onto the ground in front of the rear tire.

In the province of Quebec where I live, they remove the metal plate with the ribs to hold the fuel nozzle valve open. You can say that I don't trust those auto shutoff nozzles!!

and now works 100 %.
??
Maybe because it was full to the top it took longer than expected for the display to go down a bar?

My gauge will toggle a bar on and off sometimes when it's at a transition. Accelerating or up a hill, it goes down a bar. Braking or down a hill, the gauge will go up a bar. Once a little more fuel is used, the bars stay steady.

Could be !
I was hand operating the pump / nozzle but was watching pump display ..." that's weird...it say 2.7 gallons in but I had a half of a tank" ?
I see no reason to watch the pump display when filling the tank. Nothing on the display is relevant to me during fueling. When fueling a motorcycle, my eyes should be on the tank opening and two hands on the nozzle. I use two hands on the nozzle and lever in a push-pull fashion to maintain tight control of the fuel flow.

Even here in the not-so-mean-streets of Estero, I’m always looking for threats. Always have and I think I always will. Doing it since I was 18 and I’m 55 next week. Old habits, as they say.

Back