• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gas pricing

Think about it.
From the time we get crude oil off the ship/pipeline, it takes a bit of time to refine it, and put it in trucks, and get it to your filling station.
YET in just a few days the prices started going up.
No way the gas that was already refined and sitting in storage tanks should be increasing so fast.
So I say BS!
It just a good way to increase profits!
Just at in 2008 this is all just for profits! Yet "they" found no such problem back then.
Legal bribery, PACS, are such a good way to hide a lot of shady dealings!

Think about it.
From the time we get crude oil off the ship/pipeline, it takes a bit of time to refine it, and put it in trucks, and get it to your filling station.
No way the gas that was already refined and sitting in storage tanks should be increasing so fast.
So I say BS!
Just at in 2008 this is all just for profits! Yet "they" found no such problem back then.
That sounds right in a two second analysis but pump prices are driven by the commodity price as it trades in futures today, not by the costs incurred producing the gas in the pump today. We might not like it but that is how our economy prices gasoline and many other commodities that trade in futures.

The consumer has preferred to let energy producers buy the cheapest price crude even if it means importing crude from sources affected by world events and so liable to rapid pricing shocks. We should all be looking a little closer in the mirror. On the local news this morning was a guy complaining about the cost to fill up his 5000 lb lifted pick up truck. He was too young to remember 1973 or even 2008.

Last edited:
^^^ not to mention if they priced based on spot market $/barrel, when the price per barrel drops (like it did like a rock last year) you'd still be paying $4/gal because that's what's in the storage tanks at that point.

We still have some of the cheapest gas on earth (other than Saudi), crowding out the potential for other energy sources.

We still have some of the cheapest gas on earth (other than Saudi), crowding out the potential for other energy sources.
Mostly due to taxation, our gas and diesel are simply not taxed at the same rates as they are in Europe, Canada, etc. We also refine it here, something that is not done in many nations due to the complex technologies to build and operate refineries.

Wind and solar are generally fairly heavily subsidized for them to be cost effective. Spain abandoned much of its wind technology generation because it was too costly to maintain.

Nuclear is probably the most efficient for electrical generation, certainly more reliable and economical than wind or solar. France maintains nuclear reactors has reasonably priced energy while Germany, which attempted to switch to wind/solar is now being crushed by high energy prices and looking to extend the use of its last nuke reactors while it also imports natural gas to bridge over the shortcomings of wind and solar.

Hydrogen fuel cells are still mostly mythical, there is only 1 hydrogen fuel station in the US.

CNG is a viable and clean alternative for internal combustion engines, but generally requires unpopular pipelines to transport. Not quite as efficient as propane, which is also slightly less efficient than liquid gasoline, but still should be an attractive and ecologically sound alternative because it is far cleaner burning and can be scaled up or down to operate cars, buses or large power plants.

Mostly due to taxation, our gas and diesel are simply not taxed at the same rates as they are in Europe, Canada, etc. We also refine it here, something that is not done in many nations due to the complex technologies to build and operate refineries.

Wind and solar are generally fairly heavily subsidized for them to be cost effective. Spain abandoned much of its wind technology generation because it was too costly to maintain.

Nuclear is probably the most efficient for electrical generation, certainly more reliable and economical than wind or solar. France maintains nuclear reactors has reasonably priced energy while Germany, which attempted to switch to wind/solar is now being crushed by high energy prices and looking to extend the use of its last nuke reactors while it also imports natural gas to bridge over the shortcomings of wind and solar.

Hydrogen fuel cells are still mostly mythical, there is only 1 hydrogen fuel station in the US.

CNG is a viable and clean alternative for internal combustion engines, but generally requires unpopular pipelines to transport. Not quite as efficient as propane, which is also slightly less efficient than liquid gasoline, but still should be an attractive and ecologically sound alternative because it is far cleaner burning and can be scaled up or down to operate cars, buses or large power plants.
Is CNG explosive in a crash? I’m not familiar with the safety built in to the technology, but I remember the stories of the Ford Pinto and have no wish to see something like that in my lifetime.

Is CNG explosive in a crash? I’m not familiar with the safety built in to the technology, but I remember the stories of the Ford Pinto and have no wish to see something like that in my lifetime.
Not really any more than gasoline. It has somewhat less energy (BTU) than gasoline. It is used to power city buses, urban truck fleets, even some long distance semi truck fleets, etc. There was a push, a decade or so ago, for CNG cars but it never really developed.

But your OK with the fact that the gas we are spending $4 a gallon for was produced from oil that was under $100 a barrel??
My point is - its pure profiting and nothing else!
The only reason we are paying $4 is because we have nowhere else to go and we will pay.
If the price of groceries went up like this we'd all yell bloody murder.
AND they will because of all the trucking used to move stuff around!

But your OK with the fact that the gas we are spending $4 a gallon for was produced from oil that was under $100 a barrel??
The only reason we are paying $4 is because we have nowhere else to go and we will pay.
And the fact that the last time oil was over $110/barrel, the price of gas was not over $4/gallon.

Last edited:
Motorcycling friend of mine from Tennessee said

"If you're retired, the price of fuel is not so much a problem, unless you wanted to travel during your retirement."

Can you actually cite evidence to show this?

We have new regulations added every year that jacks up the cost of refining and transporting oil/gas. We have higher labor costs than we have had in the past. If profit margins remain roughly the same that they have been, but dollars increase, then there is no gouging, even if they show higher dollar profits. Investors demand reasonable returns on their investments, so the companies have to maintain their margins, it is normal. If they increase their margins they are then subjected to the "windfall profits taxes" that politicians regularly scream about, especially in the oil industry.

Can you actually cite evidence to show this?

We have new regulations added every year that jacks up the cost of refining and transporting oil/gas. We have higher labor costs than we have had in the past. If profit margins remain roughly the same that they have been, but dollars increase, then there is no gouging, even if they show higher dollar profits. Investors demand reasonable returns on their investments, so the companies have to maintain their margins, it is normal. If they increase their margins they are then subjected to the "windfall profits taxes" that politicians regularly scream about, especially in the oil industry.
Can you reduce this to maybe 10 words, one sentence? Or better yet a picture meme with a 3 or 4 word caption? Having to think is hard work so make it simple.

Can you reduce this to maybe 10 words, one sentence? Or better yet a picture meme with a 3 or 4 word caption? Having to think is hard work so make it simple.
Taxes, Wages, Regulations UP
Profit Margins SAME
NOT windfall profiteering

The government is responsible for the increasing taxes and regulations and that is what I am complaining about.
They are also responsible for devaluing the dollar, which causes inflation, and therefore, by default, leads to higher wages. Don't let them off the hook for just the tax and regulation issues. o_O

Think about it.
So I say BS!
Pretty much sums it up.

Back