• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gas pricing

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
With gas approaching $6 a gallon in some parts of the country, how is that going to affect your motorcycle riding ..... more riding or less?

It was a boon to motorcycle sales and use in 1973 when gas went over 50 cents a gallon ($3.17 a gal when adjusted for inflation)

Won't affect my riding at all. Almost all of my city riding is on an E-bike already. All of my other transportation is done with my NC. $6/gal won't be felt in my budget.

There's a new world coming. Adapting to it is inevitable. Hanging on to old paradigms will only cause frustration and cost you time and money

I’ll be riding as much as I can to work but I do that anyway. Gas goes up then comes down. May never come down as far as we like but it will come down

Current rising fuel prices will not affect my motorcycle riding at all. I have a diverse fleet of vehcles that were chosen partly with expectations of higher future gasoline pricing. I actually think it is good that fuel prices are rising and I hope they go higher. It is long overdue.

Last edited:
As a rural resident who is 6 miles outside of the nearest town, with a 2 year old foster son, and obligations that often require me to use a truck or a car due to multiple passengers and or loads of goods, motorcycles are more a form of pleasure rides and less for commenting. Although I do ride to my fencing club in the spring/summer/fall for lesson nights. Probably be doing a lot more of that whenever it is possible.

I had intended to sell my daughter's diesel VW Jetta but it looks like I will be keeping that as a commuter car and parking the truck a lot more often. The Jetta gets 40+ mpg versus my Ridgeline's 22 mpg. When she moved to Chicago she gave the Jetta back to me, I only wish I still had my diesel storage tanks which held a combined 1000 gallons.

eBikes are not practical out here in the country for much more than leisure rides.

Public transportation does not exist out here in rural areas.

when-you-drive-a-chareotte.jpg

Last edited:
As a rural resident who is 6 miles outside of the nearest town, with a 2 year old foster son, and obligations that often require me to use a truck or a car due to multiple passengers and or loads of goods, motorcycles are more a form of pleasure rides and less for commenting. Although I do ride to my fencing club in the spring/summer/fall for lesson nights. Probably be doing a lot more of that whenever it is possible.

I had intended to sell my daughter's diesel VW Jetta but it looks like I will be keeping that as a commuter car and parking the truck a lot more often. The Jetta gets 40+ mpg versus my Ridgeline's 22 mpg. When she moved to Chicago she gave the Jetta back to me, I only wish I still had my diesel storage tanks which held a combined 1000 gallons.

eBikes are not practical out here in the country for much more than leisure rides.

Public transportation does not exist out here in rural areas.

View attachment 48511
I sold my v 10 ford excursion a year ago ................luckily

My K1600 gets higher mpg than the Mazda 6 I commute in now, but it requires higher octane, so it saves little. With tire cost added in, it's def. more expensive per mile. I hadn't gotten around to putting Wiley (NCX) up for sale yet, so perhaps I'll commute a bit on it until the current nonsense abates.

Every time I think about changing bikes all I can think about is that sweet 68 mpg

Current rising fuel prices will not affect my motorcycle riding at all. I have a diverse fleet of vehcles that were chosen partly with expectations of higher future gasoline pricing. I actually think it is good that fuel prices are rising and I hope they go higher. It is long overdue.
Curious on your support of increased fuel costs. I fail to see any logical support for that at any human, societal, or economic level.

Curious on your support of increased fuel costs. I fail to see any logical support for that at any human, societal, or economic level.
I noted my position, and you noted yours, which is fine. Further discussion probably doesn’t belong on this forum, so I’ll say no more.

Have to agree, and also agree that this is not the place to debate it.

Have to agree, and also agree that this is not the place to debate it.
Not going to debate any politics or US national policy. Just going to lay out some reality.

While I am comfortably upper-middle class I'll note that steep price increases will lead to a world recession. It is reasonable to look at the economic impact quickly rising gas prices. As a former truck fleet and food distribution company owner, I can tell you that fuel cost increases are definitely going to lead to price increases in both durable goods and perishable goods. Everything from shovels to shoes, and food to toothpaste will be going up in price, they already have, but they will continue. To date most of that inflation has been due to material costs and shortages but that is obviously pivoting to fuel inflation.

Now we are seeing fuel surcharge increases and we should plan to see more of those increase. We've already seen gasoline (and diesel) prices climb nearly 50%, we had a base price of crude hovering about $90/barrel post Covid, now we are hovering around $120/bbl with remarkable price support at that level. At current price levels, it costs a tractor/trailer $1 per mile in just fuel costs. And trucks move all of our goods.

Keep in mind that roughly 60% of Americans fall below the threshold of paying federal income taxes. That 60% is going to have a very difficult time paying for food or clothing even if they don't have a car, and we know, factually, that the global price of oil affects most of our consumer goods in very direct ways.

Add in the fact that oil is used to make medical supplies, clothing, chemicals, asphalt for roads and countless other daily use items. Again, not debating anything, just pointing out that raising gas prices are going to dramatically effect the economy in ways that most people don't even comprehend.

well, so much for avoiding politics. I'll just say I agree with 670cc ... I'll still be riding as much as always.

I think we're getting closer to the point where Pandora's box of misinformation will be open (perhaps unknowingly).
Why here? Facebook has already proved to be the place for this type of activity. Why transfer this disease to the motorcycle forum?
I suggest stopping it now.

I definitely do not welcome higher fuel prices. Those who such increases will hit hardest are the lower income people, and those who are simply struggling to meet day to day expenses.

Now all that apart I recall that one reason I purchased my original NC was because of its fuel economy given that I would be retiring. I now also have the CRF300L which I believe is even better than the NC with regard to fuel economy. As such both these motorcycles easily cover my day to day use economically.

I also have a Strom which is ok on fuel consumption as far as big bikes go. However I would not like to be covering the cost of fuelling it on a weekly basis. On this basis also, if the cost of fuel continues as it is going, then ownership of bigger motorcycles could soon become unique to the higher income folks.

FWIW, Brent Crude Oil, the major market indicator for oil, is trending slightly downward in pricing. So for, at least today, gas prices are probably going to be stable to slightly down.

Back