• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gear shift lever stuck

Mikee3544

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't find the exact topic for a non NC problem but this can be a general problem. On my CBR250R(2011) the gear shift lever completely stucked during the winter. Last time I used it was in late october. It worked properly, but this weekend I started the engine and I was unable to change gear at all. I had to stop the engine and checked the parts. The clutch operates well ( clicking sound comes from the right side from the block ). But the lever didnt move at all. So I made a harder pressure by hand on it and finally it moved down to first gear. After starting the engine with engaged clutch and slowly diseangaged it the bike started to move forward as it did earlier. But since then shifting gears is extremely hard, so I left home and made the test in the garage. It changed gears from 1->N->2 and backwards, but the previously well known points in each gears disappered. It was that kinda feeling when you try pull out a spoon from an almost frozen bottle of honey.

What can be the problem? Engine oil was changed last summer, since then only 7000 kms done. Oil lever is ok! The engine was stopped whole winter, no attempts were made to try the shift lever or start the engine since yesterday.
sorry for the non NC topic, but this can be a general error to any kind of bike...

Any suggestions? Oil change or disassembly of the shift lever?

It was said by a mechanical : this can be a normal issue on a bike. So I have to try to use it in a parking place. If it works, there is nothing else to do just get used to it, otherwise need to see the dealer. Temperature is +3 celsius... holy nice :)

What kind of OIL did you use?

Do you have some naughty people in the neighbourhood who may have poured water into your oil?

Change the oil immediately and try again. (if you don't want to go to a licensed mechanic in the first place, which is recommended).

+1 on changing the oil. The CBR only hands 1.7 quarts so that isn't much oil for 7k km. Do you have any oil leaking a around the shifter lever? If so one of the seals is probably bound up causing the leak and the tough shifting

Repsol oil were used, no leaking at all. The dealer will take the bike tomorrow to the garage/repair shop. Only 2 weeks left until the end of the warranty period. And meanwhile I sold the bike... so it has to be repaiered for the next week. Damn...it was my luck i tried the bike this weekend. I'll update the infos about this case later. I was also thinking about change the oil.
Thanks for everyone BTW!

I would lube the joints on the shifter rod that connects the shift lever to the engine and see if that frees it up. had this type of problem with other bikes

Problem solved! This part was stucked - in red circle. It was removed and cleaned, replaced, now it works perfectly!
gear_lever.jpg

Back