• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

General opinion on riding with backpack?

I agree with the most of the comments that riding with the backpack could be somehow dangerous, more often uncomfortable. But I also realized that my question wasn't clear at all: when I mentioned that ".. riding with a backpack could be very dangerous..." , I ment in an event of having an accident when a rider falls off the bike on the backpack, when the backpack happens to be between the rider and the surface.

Here are couple of thought from other people, to explain better my question:
"... If a rider falls, the pack can catch and twist the spine, or the objects in the pack can cause damage..."

"... Any backpack can be a spine breaker in an accident. It depends on the impact. Think of a length of chain or poly pipe and how these bend when thrown onto anything other than a flat surface. The chain bends and conforms to the shape of whatever it hits. Your spine does the same in some impact types but if there’s a backpack in the way the bits above and below the backpack keep moving and the rest travels a shorter distance. A full length back protector is an essential if you want to carry a backpack..."

"... The reason why backpacks are considered a safety issue is because when you fall, things are more likely to catch. Instead of sliding to a stop on your back, there is a greater chance that you will start flipping over. And when you start to tumble, that is when bones get broken.

"... , and having your head off the ground when you hit so it whiplashes down into the ground can't be a good thing..."

Walking can be dangerous. Living can be dangerous.
Really? Are you serious?
:D

YOU are really over thinking this.
I doubt you can overthink about something that can maybe leave a mark on you for the rest of you life. You can predict every possible scenario in your life, but if you give a thought a bit you can be "ready" for at least some of them.

IF you think you shouldnt wear a backpack - then dont!
This is a Forum, where people exchange their opinions and you can eventually learn something, or give you an idea.
I think I shouldn't wear the backpack, and I don't. But it doesn't mean I should not hear other people opinions.

My thoughts exactly. Don't ride a motorcycle and you don't have to worry about falling off of one.

Really? Wow! I didn't know that. Now I know...
;)

... Humorous to see threads like these continue to get hashed out from everyone's opinions. No one size fits all opinion for things like this. You either want to wear a backpack for whatever reasons are important to you, or you don't, for whatever reasons are important to you to not wear one. Doesn't get much simpler than that...
And it's very humorous too that people who are bothered with a topic, they HAVE to post something, right? If you're bothered with this one, go to next topic. "Doesn't get much simpler than that..." ;) :D

BUT.....while we're here, I will tell a funny backpack story. I had a cheapo walmart backpack back I used to use when going on trips on my CBR900RR back when I was a teenager. Was on the way home from Deals Gap riding with 2 buddies, one on a GSXR 600 and the other on a GSXR 1000. On the way home we were on a long stretch of interstate and they took off, so I did too. I leaned down on the tank and romped on it. Once I hit around 150mph, backpack exploded from vacuum of wind going over top of me, and all my junk inside scattered alongside of the interstate. Didn't lose anything of real value, was most pissed about losing the disposable camera that I'd taken with me to Deal's Gap, as I believe that was my first trip there. Good times. LOL
You see? I find your story very interesting and I did learn something. Thanks for sharing.
:)

Back