• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Getting beat up while on the highway...why?

ride a little slower. hell its a motorbike , yes it is really.
you will get all sorts thrown at you because you are expose to the elements.
you want comforts then buy a car.....
you guys never seize to amaze me! what? with air temperature and what not.
get ya a$$ over here our weather and roads etc soon make a man of you.
getcha self wanna dees ........
6pcs-lot-2014-New-font-b-Funny-b-font-Silicone-font-b-Baby-b-font-Pacifier.jpg

Careful my man, over there are 18-wheelers and we only have 16-wheelers here with usually 2 wheels retracted up to save rubber.

Big is bigger over in the big U S of A.
[emoji12]

In the UK the highest recorded temp is 38.5C (something like 101F) and the lowest is -27.2 °C (something like -17F) and the low is scottland which might not even be part of the UK later this week... just to be safe England had a low of -26.1C (which is close, something like -15F)

My state of Minnesota:
Record High 115 °F / 46 °C
Record Low −60 °F / −51.1 °C

Texas:
High 120 °F / 49 °C
Low −23 °F / −31 °C

The two states with temperature extremes close to what the UK has in the states, there are 3 places you can go...
Washington DC (which is not technically a state, more like a city):
High 106 °F / 41 °C
Low −15 °F / −26 °C

Florida
High 109 °F / 43 °C
Low −2 °F / −19 °C

Hawaii
High 100 °F / 38 °C
Low 15 °F / −9 °C

Of course maybe it's the rain that we are complaining about, in which case the UK average annual rain fall of ~33 inches isn't competitive with FL or HI which get 55 and 64 inches respectively...
But MN and WI are both pretty close to the UK for rain fall...

Of course, we could always slow down... through the cages and semi trucks aren't going to they run at or above the speed limit, which for a good chunk of the states is higher than the 70 mph they top out at in the UK... some of them topping out as high as 85mph...

So I guess, the end result is that I'd love to come over there and head out for a ride on your roads, it looks like some beautiful country out there... I'm not sure what it's going to do to "make a man of me" that riding here hasn't, other than maybe riding on the wrong side of the road and passing on the left... but I'd think that's a fairly easy thing to get used to compared to -40 F winters and 115F summers.

Was hoping the Vstream would be The One, but now maybe I'll have to go in a different direction.

;-)

Someone just traded in a 2012 NC700X at the Honda dealership right by where I work. I has a V-Stream windshield on it. The guy said he'd let me give it go. I will report back with my findings. I can only compare it to my Puig with visor.

You know, come to think of it. You can feel the buffeting from 18 wheelers even in a car.

You know, come to think of it. You can feel the buffeting from 18 wheelers even in a car.

But I've never had a bike where the front end shakes side to side like what happens to me now. I assume a big portion of the difference from my CBR to the NCX is the windscreen. It catches a lot of wind where the CBR screen is much like the NCX small screen in size. Plus the saddle bags. Didnt have those either. Last but not least, I passed semi's much faster than I do now. There is a definite difference but I'm used to it.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Getting off topic here, but I notice 18 wheelers are becoming 10 wheelers with the new wide tires. Someday we'll explain to grand kids why they were called 18 wheelers.

image.jpg

Getting off topic here, but I notice 18 wheelers are becoming 10 wheelers with the new wide tires. Someday we'll explain to grand kids why they were called 18 wheelers.

View attachment 20330

We'll need to be sure to exagerate the truth at that point:
"Back in my day tractor trailers used to have 100's of wheels... had to be re-vulcanized every couple of hundred miles... Of course by the time you made it a few hundred miles you needed to refill the steam tank and pick up a new load of coal to shovel in... When they finally standardized on 18 wheels (because it was the number of children most people had back then, and families would re-vulcanize the tires as a team each of them taking one tire) president Lincoln declared a national holiday, and that's why they were called 18 wheelers."

:)

mreric,
for me it was the mirrors, the mirrors were directing the wind to the side of my helmet and shoulder,

i got diff mirrors and solved the issue,

try that. cheap fix

What mirrors did you change to?

I have a hard time with wind. I'm 6' tall with the stock screen. Problem is to stay with traffic i have to be at 120km/h. Under 100 its fine. The duck bill adds some lift getting close to 130. Still stable but 155 it get a little dicey. LoL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Madstad is the way to go if you want the quietest ride. I've had one for about a year now and was generally happy with it, but still got some buffeting and a lot of wind hitting my lower torso. I just added the side deflectors (weren't available when I originally bought it), which improved things even more. With the stock screen, trucks would rock my head side-to-side and the noise was incredible. I was miserable. Now trucks just rock the whole bike a little from side-to-side instead of just my head. The turbulence from trucks has to go somewhere; I'd rather it be absorbed by a 670lb object (bike+me) instead of just my head.

I have just re-read the OP. He is describing a type of turbulence that IMHO is very different from what most of you guys are talking about. I know this because I experienced the same punch-bag buffeting (first the left then the right then the left then the right etc) about 4 months ago. I was test riding a Triumph Thruxton (a bonneville with an old fashioned headlamp cowl thing), and it was unrideable at highway speeds. I was convinced it was some kind of weird aerodynamics going on around the screen/headlamp pod. About two weeks ago I noticed the same thing happening (to a lesser extent) on my Triumph Rocket 3 - I had put on the small Sports screen which normally causes no problems, but somehow I had got is canted backwards more than normal and it set off this airflow release - first from one side then the other. Most disconcerting.
I have never experienced this with the NC - but I am very happy with the standard Honda screen
Mike

I have been experimenting with all manner of wind blocking devices and I think I have finally found the right combination that suits ME beautifully.
The main windshield was given to me so I could experiment with it and not be concerned about wrecking a perfectly good windshield. It already had holes and cracks in it, and I added the small holes to keep the cracks from spreading and then the big holes to help reduce the vacuum behind the windshield to reduce the buffeting. I also added the extension on top which I now look thru. I tested it out for the first time last week on a 210 miles ride at speeds up to 80 mph. It made me smile BIG TIME. I didn't even need earplugs any more and the buffeting was basically gone except during some crosswinds. The only way I know of to eliminate crosswind buffeting is to drive a car or truck. Even on my BMW R1200RT, crosswinds were felt.
The overall length of my windshield is 24" and the max width is 21". For reference, I am 5'9" with 30" legs. Note the bottom of my windshield is higher than the stock screen's bottom edge.

Attachments

• 20140929_155546.jpg
    20140929_155546.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 293
Someone just traded in a 2012 NC700X at the Honda dealership right by where I work. I has a V-Stream windshield on it. The guy said he'd let me give it go. I will report back with my findings. I can only compare it to my Puig with visor.

What was the verdict .... did the V-Stream do the trick?

I have been experimenting with all manner of wind blocking devices and I think I have finally found the right combination that suits ME beautifully.
The main windshield was given to me so I could experiment with it and not be concerned about wrecking a perfectly good windshield. It already had holes and cracks in it, and I added the small holes to keep the cracks from spreading and then the big holes to help reduce the vacuum behind the windshield to reduce the buffeting. I also added the extension on top which I now look thru. I tested it out for the first time last week on a 210 miles ride at speeds up to 80 mph. It made me smile BIG TIME. I didn't even need earplugs any more and the buffeting was basically gone except during some crosswinds. The only way I know of to eliminate crosswind buffeting is to drive a car or truck. Even on my BMW R1200RT, crosswinds were felt.
The overall length of my windshield is 24" and the max width is 21". For reference, I am 5'9" with 30" legs. Note the bottom of my windshield is higher than the stock screen's bottom edge.

What bracket is that you have it mounted too? Looks like a Mastad bracket or similar.

What bracket is that you have it mounted too? Looks like a Mastad bracket or similar.

No, not Madstad.
I cut and shaped my own support brackets made of 6061 aluminum. They are 12" long, 1" wide and 3/16" thick. These are firmly bolted to the bike's framework with threaded backing nuts so they can't pull out, and the windshield is bolted only to the 2 brackets at the bottom and the top with aircraft grade fine thread bolts and locking nuts. I had to twist the 2 brackets so that they conformed to the curvature of the windshield without introducing any stress.
Now I will attempt to find or have made a new single piece polycarbonate (Lexan) windshield in this shape and size, and I will be satisfied.

Last edited:
Back