• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Givi Luggage: Speed/Weight limits

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
So I bought my brand spanking new Givi E22's last night and found that not only do they come with a weight restriction of 11lbs ea but they also come with a speed restriction of 75. Now, I'm not one to push the limits of legality, but once in a while she wants to open up. Does anyone know how firm these limits really are? Do they have to do with the bags breaking or the bike's stability? I also don't figure that 11lbs is hard and fast, but close is good enough. Comments, thoughts?

I was riding with my givi trekers 33l side paniers around 120km/h (75 mph) and they didn't detach :)
I think they should be fine up to 100 mph providing it is temporary speed.

All those disclaimers are mainly for liability and not proven by actual testing.

I have Givi Trekkers (33 ltr) on my NC and have ridden it at 70-80 mph without handling problems. One thing the side bags do for sure is reduce fuel economy because they increase frontal area by quite a bit plus are square in shape.

When you think about it, 11 pounds is quite a lot of stuff to carry on a bike. If you tried to make a pile of clothes that weighed 11 pounds, it'd probably be 3-feet tall!

Last edited:
Those restrictions are for liability. I have the E22's and a Givi Maxia 52 as a top case. With the cases on the bike I get about 62-63 MPG. With the cases off of the bike I get 72-73 MPG while riding at a brisk pace on the local roads.

Yep, and the frunk only holds five pounds. You shouldn't pull a U-Haul trailer faster than 45 MPH. And never stick a cotton swab into your ear. Until companies quit employing lawyers to second-guess engineers we will continue to suffer this. The advice seems so unressonable that you end up not knowing whether to believe it or not. Chances are that safety factor upon top of safety factor are baked into the recommendations. When BMW Krauser sidecases took to flying off at 80 mph, we strapped them on with bungees and hauled *** anyway.

Since the statute of limitations has surely run by now, I can tell you that the OEM removable cases on my BMW K1100LT were good well into triple digit speeds.

:cool:

Ok, 80 is really all I'm looking for so I figure it's all good. A bummer about the huge drop in Fuel economy. I guess I didn't expect that kind of effect or at least to that extent. Thanks for the quick answers guys.

So I bought my brand spanking new Givi E22's last night and found that not only do they come with a weight restriction of 11lbs ea but they also come with a speed restriction of 75. Now, I'm not one to push the limits of legality, but once in a while she wants to open up. Does anyone know how firm these limits really are? Do they have to do with the bags breaking or the bike's stability? I also don't figure that 11lbs is hard and fast, but close is good enough. Comments, thoughts?

It's one of those things where nearly everybody can justify to themselves ignoring the listed restrictions, limits, safety procedures, etc., given by the manufacturer.

Some are sticklers for torque values on all fasteners. Others, a patched or plugged tire is immediately considered a grisly accident, just waiting to happen. I'm sure somewhere, there are folks who fastidiously weigh their luggage prior to stowing in saddle bags.

We all pick our own items to scoff at, ignore, or loudly proclaim dire consequences if the stipulated protocols are not properly followed. I'm as guilty as sin for picking and choosing my own way of doing things, but do try and keep a casual ear perked up just in case I am shown the folly of my ways... :eek:

Being a trial and error type personality, I cram in as much stuff as I want to, barring common sense knowledge not to transport my Acme Anvil collection, or cause the bike to spontaneously flip upside down when left unattended. Same with speed. I don't arbitrarily pick a number just because I'm told to by a decal, but I'm not thinking an overloaded bike near triple digit *Suuurpriiiiise!* speed wobble or tank slapper would be a super fun thing to have happen, so I wouldn't completely dismiss keeping my riding down a notch or two from pegged throttle and jammed full set of luggage. (Until I tried it, and it was all good, lol)

Last edited:
I've managed over 80 mpg with Givi V35 side cases, Maxia E55 and huge Madstad windshield. You just have to ride with fuel mileage in mind. I've also had over 50 pounds in the side cases.

If the speed limit is there for 'liability' reasons, there has to be some underlying source of the 'liability,' Such as they're not strong enough to reliably fly through the air at 100 mph, over rough roads, when fully loaded. Shock loading is much higher when you hit that hole at 80 than it was when you hit it at 45 last time. :)

I'm with LBS on picking and choosing when I'm a stickler and when I'm not, as well as keeping an eye open and an ear out for info.

I'm also super-jealous of turbodiesel's ability to hyper-mile with saddlebags on.
:)

If the speed limit is there for 'liability' reasons, there has to be some underlying source of the 'liability,' Such as they're not strong enough to reliably fly through the air at 100 mph, over rough roads, when fully loaded. Shock loading is much higher when you hit that hole at 80 than it was when you hit it at 45 last time. :)

I'm with LBS on picking and choosing when I'm a stickler and when I'm not, as well as keeping an eye open and an ear out for info.

I'm also super-jealous of turbodiesel's ability to hyper-mile with saddlebags on.
:)

That's easy, just don't ride any faster than 50 mph and keep stops to a minimum.

Thanks all. Can anyone who has them on tell me, what's the total width with the E22s mounted? How far do the racks stick past the passenger grab rails? I bought the bags, now I'm waiting on the racks and I'm concerned about getting the bike onto my porch as there is a bit of a constraint. I read somewhere it total width was about 34". Sound right to anyone? Do they stick out past the handlebars?

Thanks all. Can anyone who has them on tell me, what's the total width with the E22s mounted? How far do the racks stick past the passenger grab rails? I bought the bags, now I'm waiting on the racks and I'm concerned about getting the bike onto my porch as there is a bit of a constraint. I read somewhere it total width was about 34". Sound right to anyone? Do they stick out past the handlebars?

Well the bags come off easily so if the porch is a restriction, just remove a saddlebag.

The speed recomendations do make sense though. For the Trekker panniers, for example, the recomended speed was 75mph. Going a bit over was not a problem, but at 85mph+ or when running into the wind turbulence of a truck or car it does get very shaky and scary at times. 80mph shouldn't be a problem on most panniers though, as long as they are properly mounted and secured.

Weight wise, if something goes peoperly wrong and the luggage is way overloaded, i've heard from a friend whose rear frame cracked after over loading his panniers and hitting a large pothole (not on a NC though, I think it was a smaller 250ish bike).

1110.jpg980.jpgI have the GIVI 46 L side cases. They are heavy by themselves, but when I add gear I can feel the weight for sure! The stick out pretty far but I wanted the space so that I could add camping gear, motorcycle gear, clothes, etc. On trips I have used all the space too! I even have the 52 L top case. I love the space but I am not sure the side cases are good for the MPG. I myself only weigh 120 lbs so, I figured the weight limit is not maxed out even with a full load. I have struggled to get the bike over 85 mphs, and believe me I have tried! I used to own a GSXR-1000 and sometimes cant stand how slow this nc700 is!

Do you think the 46 L GIVI side panniers are too much? Too big and bulky? Do you think I need this much storage space??

1042.jpg

Last edited:
I also have Givi E22's, not on my NC. Never looked at the speed restriction/didn't care :')
Ran fine on the highway at 140km/h without any problems.
I did however mount the left pannier on the right and vice versa, maybe it's more aerodynamic that way? (highest side to the rear of the bike)

Do you think the 46 L GIVI side panniers are too much? Too big and bulky? Do you think I need this much storage space?
I have found my Touratech ZEGA Pro2 45L panniers (wide as an elephant's butt) do cut down on mileage. Also, a truth about storing stuff on a motorcycle is that you will always have 10% more to pack no matter what your storage capacity is!

Ray

In my experience, side cases are the biggest contributor of reduced gas mileage. I wouldn't doubt that's why you are having difficulty with top speed. Only you can decide if you need to take that much gear along. Maybe a trailer would be a better option (seriously).

Back