• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Givi Products . What has been your experience ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1183

Firstly I have started this thread out disappointment and disillusionment over some Givi products.

I have been using Givi products for years, but in particular their crashbars and pannier kits. Imho their products are well designed, all of them. The panniers are robust as are the crashbars and pannier mounting kits.

So, what is wrong you may ask ? Paintwork. It is extremely poor and even that is being kind to it. Recently I have come across several motorcycles owned by friends and acquaintances with crashbars and pannier mounts that hardly have a scrap of paint left on them. Just pure rust. All these items are Givi and all the folks concerned now have to remove these items and get them powder coated. They look dreadful.

I was determined that this would not happen to me. I always rinse off my bikes with collected rain water after a ride. I also treat the welds on the Givi items with AFC50 a couple of times a year but especially after I properly wash the bike. Still the Pannier racks and also the Crashbars on my Honda NC are showing rust at the welds. The paint on the front of the crahsbars is already blistering. The paint is obviously porous. It is only a matter of time before it is off, displaying the rust underneath.

This is rubbish quality control on the part of Givi. I for one am fed up with it. I would be interested to hear the experiences of others ?

Wow that's a shame. It's almost like you live on an island surrounded by salt water or something like that. ;)

Seriously though I am sure the salt air plays some role in this and perhaps Givi doesn't do a good job in testing their coatings in harsh environments. I have Givi pannier racks on my wife's NCX but it's not the best example of how their stuff holds up as the bike has not seen that much weather or even a lot of road time. In any case have you tried to pen them a diplomatic letter expressing your dismay? They may not be aware of the problem and might offer at least some remediation or consideration in turn. Otherwise it sounds like taking the situation into your own hands (and wallet) and getting your stuff re-coated is the only solution.

Yep. My diplomatic letter expressing dismay, has been penned to them thru their UK agents this evening. Needless to say that letter firstly expressed the good aspects of their products, which I am genuine about.

I have used Givi for years. They have always had a rust problem in our damp climate, but this has become acute of recent times. The paint is porous and without an undercoat. My Triumph has Matte black paint on its crashbars and it has almost the same mileage as the NC, yet its crashbars are unscathed after the same weather and roads. It is quite possible that the Triumph crashbars are Givi made to Triumph specs, but eitherway there is not a hint of corrosion on them. I must take a shot of a friend's Varadero. I guarantee Y'all will be shocked.

Maybe they had a bad batch of paint.
Powdercoated pieces will not have a primer. The powder coat is all inclusive.
It is 4X harder than normal paint.
Also- if the metal was not properly prepped you would have "gripping" issues.
If you have several examples of bad finish, take pictures of all of them and send a copy to the rep. You may get a replacement.
I'm happy with the brackets I got from Givi.

I notice my givi side rack has some rust starting.its at the end of a side support.some touch up paint will work.

Back