• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Go West Old Men

Bring bear spray with your tent. KOA is expensive but at least half the cost of motels in the same area, for a cabin. Much cheaper for a tent site. A hot shower and electricity is nice to have after a long day.

I've been camping in southern Utah mountains for most of my life, and never carried bear spray. Camp smart: don't cook near where you sleep, and don't keep food or toiletries in the tent.

I've only seen bears twice after a few dry years, they were more eager to approach campgrounds. But that was almost 20 years ago. I haven't seen more than scat or prints since.

We get them in the NC mountains, have to hang your food etc. More of a problem where they aren't hunted.

Do like my wife did and get both replaced at the same time. One copay, and one time off instead of two.

I explored that option, the doc says I've got a few years left in my knees. (doesn't feel that way)
Shoulder will be done this year.

I coached HS wrestling for 20 years....finally catching up with me.

Put in a new air filter, New chain, New PR4 on the front. I've packed several times to make sure it all fits with some space left over. I will change oil and filters when I get back from KSL and put a fresh PR4 on the rear. I just got a cortisone shot in my bad shoulder. I'm just about ready for a June 1 departure.

Wife keeps asking what I will do about tornados....answer....run!....run fast!

Put in a new air filter, New chain, New PR4 on the front. I've packed several times to make sure it all fits with some space left over. I will change oil and filters when I get back from KSL and put a fresh PR4 on the rear. I just got a cortisone shot in my bad shoulder. I'm just about ready for a June 1 departure.

Wife keeps asking what I will do about tornados....answer....run!....run fast!

I hate to hear anyone needing shoulder repair. I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago and that's not something that I want to do again.
After reading your answer to your wife's question about tornadoes I giggled a bit. Around a month ago the starter on my ATV died and I tried to start it with the pull rope, it kicked back and I thought it dislocated my shoulder. I don't have the means to take off work, so I kept on going to work while nursing my shoulder. I also had scheduled a ride to Pikes peak in September, thinking it was over. I kept saying my prayers and my shoulder started feeling better. At 12:26 AM on 04/27 I awoke to what sounded like a train outside my window. Yep this is all I need! I wasn't worried at all because I have some bad *** angles watching out for me. Later recorded that it was an F1 that hit my place.
Well, I'm out 3 and a half hours later to find a 55' pine across my driveway and 5 huge oaks and my favorite locusts on my front lawn. I don't know how many trees that are down on the back of my property.
I'm wondering how in the heck can I take care of 50-100 ricks of wood with a shoulder that feels like it's full of gravel.
I kept my prayers up and not to long after, my shoulder slipped back into place. The Pikes peak ride is still a go and I have plenty of exercise to get me in shape, a new starter for the ATV and enough wood to heat my home for several years.
Attitude and faith can do wonders! I'll keep you in my prayers on your journey and if you decide to hit Missouri, you have a room and a beer. Safe travels!

Thanks for the prayers Turbo...I probably need them. I had the rotator cuff done about 4 years ago. Calcium deposit tore things up. The arthritis is the problem now. The shot is kicking in, so I hope I'm good for about three months.

seems like every time we turn on the TV there's a tornado tearing up the place or someone killed on a motorcycle. I think the stress is getting to her.

Sounds like you had a near miss. We get an occasional tornado in these parts, if not that, hurricanes. Fran turned Raleigh into a war zone. I'd never seen anything like it. Then Floyd came back and flooded much of eastern NC.

I'll be passing through Missouri on the 2nd and third of June on highway 60/14. Well probably spend the night around West Plains or maybe up towards Springfield.

I just noticed your post and wanted to say I have taken 160 across Kansas and found it much nicer than I expected. I also wanted to suggest one road in Arkansas but if you are heading east in Arkansas it may not fit well. Push Mountain Road (341) is best ridden north to south. It starts near Salesville and ends near Big Flat. There is not a good way to get to the north end while heading east. I guess if you had the time you could go north on 5 out of Mountain View Salesville then south on 341 to 14 through Fifty-Six back to 5 and your route. I get together with a group every fall somewhere in the Mountain View, Mountain Home area and we always make sure to take at least one pass through Push Mountain Road.

I just noticed your post and wanted to say I have taken 160 across Kansas and found it much nicer than I expected. I also wanted to suggest one road in Arkansas but if you are heading east in Arkansas it may not fit well. Push Mountain Road (341) is best ridden north to south. It starts near Salesville and ends near Big Flat. There is not a good way to get to the north end while heading east. I guess if you had the time you could go north on 5 out of Mountain View Salesville then south on 341 to 14 through Fifty-Six back to 5 and your route. I get together with a group every fall somewhere in the Mountain View, Mountain Home area and we always make sure to take at least one pass through Push Mountain Road.

Thanks for the input. I've heard of that one. I'll see if I can work it in, if not, a reason to go back...which I plan to do. Not much is in stone for this trip, but its focused on the west and whatever I can get on the way out and back. Thanks for the tip on 160.

Just checked my route map and I'm passing just south...will go through Mountain View. Might have to do a little detour loop.

Anybody use Spotwalla. I set up an account and took a little ride today. It read "no messages". Does it work off the Breadcrumbs or do I need to send a message?

Leaving in just a few days, June 1. After a test run of 5 days in the NC mountains I decided to lighten my load. As soon as I returned home, before going in the house, I got a scale and started weighing my panniers, duffle and top box. I pulled items from each bag. I switched to a lighter tent, ditched my "woobie" blanket and many other small items. I finally decided to ditch the top box all together, that thing weight 18 pounds. Greatly changed the balance. I put a small tail bag in its place. Anything that needs locking will have to go into the frunk. I reduced the weight by about 40 pounds. Filling the gas can will make up for some of the loss. If I get to the point that I know I'm not camping, I'll stop at a UPS store and ship everything home.

I took off the rear wheel and took it to the dealer for a new PR4. The current tire only has 2000 miles on it, so I'm saving it for mounting when I get home. I changed the oil and filters, readjusted the chain, seems like she's ready to go. I will take a little ride tomorrow or Monday just to make sure everything is working and to scrub in the new tire.

Routes are loaded in my GPS, back up maps are marked and folded. I'm not sure what else needs doing. I'm ready to go..

I'll try to keep up a running ride report, but that will depend on Wifi availability. I am taking the GoPro, but movies will have to wait awhile. Not sure how long editing will take. I'm slow at that stuff.

This is the Spotwalla link for anyone interested. https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=10a985732302fcf987&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Anybody use Spotwalla. I set up an account and took a little ride today. It read "no messages". Does it work off the Breadcrumbs or do I need to send a message?

You have to set up a trip on the website, there is a start time and end time and date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leaving in just a few days, June 1. After a test run of 5 days in the NC mountains I decided to lighten my load. As soon as I returned home, before going in the house, I got a scale and started weighing my panniers, duffle and top box. I pulled items from each bag. I switched to a lighter tent, ditched my "woobie" blanket and many other small items. I finally decided to ditch the top box all together, that thing weight 18 pounds. Greatly changed the balance. I put a small tail bag in its place. Anything that needs locking will have to go into the frunk. I reduced the weight by about 40 pounds. Filling the gas can will make up for some of the loss. If I get to the point that I know I'm not camping, I'll stop at a UPS store and ship everything home.

I took off the rear wheel and took it to the dealer for a new PR4. The current tire only has 2000 miles on it, so I'm saving it for mounting when I get home. I changed the oil and filters, readjusted the chain, seems like she's ready to go. I will take a little ride tomorrow or Monday just to make sure everything is working and to scrub in the new tire.

Routes are loaded in my GPS, back up maps are marked and folded. I'm not sure what else needs doing. I'm ready to go..

I'll try to keep up a running ride report, but that will depend on Wifi availability. I am taking the GoPro, but movies will have to wait awhile. Not sure how long editing will take. I'm slow at that stuff.

This is the Spotwalla link for anyone interested. https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=10a985732302fcf987&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Have a great ride Dale! I'm looking forward to reading your reports. I took a look at Spotwalla which led me to your blog. Great writing!

Steve

Have you checked the 550/Million Dollar Highway to see if the construction and repair work is done?

When I went through two years ago, it was only open for a few hours each day, as a landslide had taken out a bit of the road. It was open for about an hour in the am, one at lunch, and another in the evening.

Back