• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Going to the Little Big Horn, the long way.

Nofear2trek

Elite Member
Reaction score
Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht t
Visit site
I departed Coos Bay this morning about 6:30 am heading for the 140th anniversary this Saturday of Custer meeting his fate at the Little Big Horn.

image.jpg

That is, after I complete a couple of errands in Colorado. First I am off to Cortez, then up to Lone Tree. My progress, or lack of, can now be followed on my new Spot Gen3 at:

https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=1147a576963623faab&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will have reenactments off of the monument site in the area where the Indian village was. Saturday will be free admission to all into the Park.

Ray

Last edited:
Wow, what a day yesterday was! After leaving home on Tuesday morning, I rode all day and on thru the nite, arriving in Cortez, CO Wednesday morning. 24 hours and 1250 miles. I finished my business quickly and back on the bike to Denver, arriving just after 6 pm. Then off again till about 8 pm and I turned in for the day.

That works out to 36 hours to cover 1740 miles. A new stupidity record for me. BTW, my Russel Day Long now equals a 36 hour day.

Today I just took a leisurely 450 mile ride up to the Custer battlefield, noticing wildlife next to the hiway, counted 25 antelope in 10 different places and a couple of deer.

Also I practiced better throttle control watching the eco indicator changing colors for better mileage. That is a pretty neat feature. I usually goosed the throttle for more speed, learned from my desert riding beginnings. But using slight increases or decreases I was able to keep the indicator in the green. My mileage increased 5-10 mpg!

You can see when I was going up the Rockies and when I was going down.

image.jpg

Ray

Last edited:
Wish I'd had a day long the last couple of weeks.

Looking forward to.more of this report.

Last edited:
Nicely done. Let me know what you're drinking.
I'll have some of that.
Looking at your Spotwalla map, I noticed you have set SPOT3 to 15 min. broadcasts?

I departed Coos Bay this morning about 6:30 am heading for the 140th anniversary this Saturday of Custer meeting his fate at the Little Big Horn.

View attachment 30225

That is, after I complete a couple of errands in Colorado. First I am off to Cortez, then up to Lone Tree. My progress, or lack of, can now be followed on my new Spot Gen3 at:

https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=1147a576963623faab&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will have reenactments off of the monument site in the area where the Indian village was. Saturday will be free admission to all into the Park.

Ray

Custer and Crazy Horse and the Little Big Horn. If I ever visited the USA that is one area I would have to visit. It would probably have the same affect on me as the Somme with regard to the needless waste of life that is associated with War, justified or not.

Saturday wasn't as much fun, 30 mph winds and an ant line of traffic inside the battlefield. But still, seeing the 'ground' where it all happened is always inspiring for me.

Reenactors covering same ground Custer's Battalion rode when approaching the village.

image.jpg

Reenactors just below Weirs Point, last point Custer's Battalion was seen alive by others in his command.

image.jpg

Reenactors after last of Custer's Battalion were dead.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

After leaving the battlefield I headed home, with 30 mph headwinds the rest of the day. After 400 miles of it, pitched the tent for the night. Early start on Sunday got me home before dark, about 750 miles. This trip, about 3500 miles total.

Ray

Last edited:
Back