• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Grease for axle and wheel bearings

ghpiv

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings everyone!

I recently changed the chain and sprockets on my '12 NC700X and forgot about applying some new grease to the rear axle and I'd like to do that sooner rather than later. Anybody know the factory installed grease? I know that different types of grease should never be mixed. The grease color is red. And, is it the same grease for the wheel bearing?

Thanks friends

I just used plain simple white lithium on the axles and the splines of the front sprocket. Wipe off the old grease first. The axle is not really under much stress or heat, so the grease is just to keep water out and make sure you can get it apart next time it needs service.

For grease inside of ball or needle bearings I would use moly grease since those are spinning and going to heat up.

For the bearings - they come pre-greased and sealed, no? I wouldn't pop them open to add more grease, more risk of contamination or damaging the seals. I know some people do it though.

I guess the inclusion of bearings in my original question was for future reference; you are correct, they are sealed nicely and I haven't had any issue with them. I appreciate the advice!

for the axles, I use high temp tractor grease...just to be on the safe side.. (it is also red)....dont need to add much though....when you slide the axles thru, most of the grease comes out anyways...

There are standards for grades and applications of grease very similar to motor oils and Honda doesn't make us guess at what type of grease to use where as directives are found in the Service Manual for the particular bike. Grease containers are labeled appropriately.

Axles use a multi purpose grease rated NLGI #2. No moly grease or paste on axles or in wheel bearings.

IMG_0977.jpgIMG_0974.jpg

Back