• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Happened today, anyone see this before?

throttlegirl

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_3276.JPG
So left for work this morning and shortly after leaving the engine light came on and speedo went away. Got to work and when I came out and turned it on, no engine light and speedo was on, until a few minutes after I rode away then same thing. Also noticed that odometer isn't working either. Guess it's off to the shop, was just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

I haven't seen it before, but if the speedometer is gone and the odometer isn't changing it leads me to believe it is something with the speed sensors or whatever they both plug into since it would be unlikely for them both to go bad at the same time.

Reactions: MZ5
Off and on again possible loose connector wire somewhere. The SCS diagnostic service connector, SM chapter 4, page 2 is part of the FI troubleshooting. Page 9, the 2 wire male connector above battery is shorted with SCS tool.
I have one, hope never to use it. With the SM help pull related connectors apart/reconnect.
I'm amazed at the (computer) complexity of setting up the dashboard, but no ambient temp gauge; a light show instead of rider info.

Attachments

• tempImagexIotoq.png
    tempImagexIotoq.png
    11.6 MB · Views: 26
  • tempImageBQ5MvO.png
    tempImageBQ5MvO.png
    10.6 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5
If/when you have a check engine light on, do not shut off the engine or turn off the key. Put the transmission in neutral and lower the side stand. The check engine light, or malfunction indicator light (MIL) will flash out a sequence of long and short flashes. The long count is one digit amd the short count is the other digit of the two digit fault code. Looking in the sevice manual for that code will likely reveal the reason for the fault light coming on.

The speedometer and odometer are both driven from the vehicle speed sensor on top of the left side of the transmission. But even if the bike is not moving it still should display a zero.

Edit: I have since learned that Honda removed the sidestand method for displaying fault codes on later NC model years. There is another thread somewhere on this forum that points out the change.

Last edited:
If/when you have a check engine light on, do not shut off the engine or turn off the key. Put the transmission in neutral and lower the side stand. The check engine light, or malfunction indicator light (MIL) will flash out a sequence of long and short flashes. The long count is one digit amd the short count is the other digit of the two digit fault code. Looking in the sevice manual for that code will likely reveal the reason for the fault light coming on.

The speedometer and odometer are both driven from the vehicle speed sensor on top of the left side of the transmission. But even if the bike is not moving it still should display a zero.
Thank you for this. Is this the same for all modern Honda MCs? I have not had a problem that required me to perform this sequence, but I really appreciate gaining knowledge like this. It is an element of my enjoyment of the hobby.

Thank you for this. Is this the same for all modern Honda MCs? I have not had a problem that required me to perform this sequence, but I really appreciate gaining knowledge like this. It is an element of my enjoyment of the hobby.
I don’t know about all modern Honda MCs, but the sidestand code reader works on my ‘02 Goldwing. It helped me diagnose a bad oxygen sensor. Other members here have used the procedure on their NC.

Edit: I have since learned that Honda removed the sidestand method for displaying fault codes on later NC model years. There is another thread somewhere on this forum that points out the change.

Last edited:
I'd be thinking speed sensor. Lives on the LHS, on top of the transmission.
Possibly ABS ring
Possibly faulty connection to the cluster
No ABS on the bike in post #1. That display is for a non ABS model because the ABS warning light is not there.

View attachment 44029
So left for work this morning and shortly after leaving the engine light came on and speedo went away. Got to work and when I came out and turned it on, no engine light and speedo was on, until a few minutes after I rode away then same thing. Also noticed that odometer isn't working either. Guess it's off to the shop, was just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

I probably missed it , but, what year is your bike?. My 14 had the recall......have a small sticker on the speedo wiring from the shop......it had been completed prior to purchase.

I probably missed it , but, what year is your bike?. My 14 had the recall......have a small sticker on the speedo wiring from the shop......it had been completed prior to purchase.
The OP did not disclose model year, but post #1 photo looks like it may be a 2012-13 speedometer, with it’s odometer in the lower left corner. Doesn’t your 2014 have the clock in the lower left corner and the odometer above the clock?

Have a speed sensor on order. Going to give that a go before taking to the shop as the bike runs fine. Will post results when we install it. Battery cables are all tight, first thing we checked.
Battery terminals as other electrodes, need an occasional cleaning....and with all things digital, sometimes a reboot is needed....Disconnect your battery cables, clean the battery terminals (small file or sand paper), clean the wire connectors with same, keep disconnected for a while (30 minutes)...reconnect battery and see what happens....but everyone is just guessing if you dont get the blinking codes (per 670cc directions) above....Code 86 (8 long light flashes, 6 short light flashes) is 'communication error to the display'.....it could also be caused by the loose plug into the back of the display...remove windshield, remove the 3 screws from back of display, raise display about an inch, disconnect plug from display, look/clean any grime, dirt, visible,,,reconnect plug, reattach display with the screws (do not over tighten,,,they are just screwing into plastic).... start bike and check display...

It's a 2012. When putting in neutral with sidestand down, I get one long flash followed by one short flash
that is mil code 11...check the VS sensor system....checking on that now...be back....2 things....1. disconnect the cable from the display unit (I mentioned how to do that in previous post), check for dirt/grime and then reconnect (see if this fixes the issue) and 2. VS Sensor no signal...Loose or poor contact of the vs sensor connector, open or short circuit in the vs sensor wire, or a faulty VS sensor...
IMG_20210211_161424[1].jpg

by the way, in looking at the mil code in the service manual.....it states the engine operates normally....(even with the check engine (mil) light on).

Last edited:
that is mil code 11...check the VS sensor system....checking on that now...be back....2 things....1. disconnect the cable from the display unit (I mentioned how to do that in previous post), check for dirt/grime and then reconnect (see if this fixes the issue) and 2. VS Sensor no signal...Loose or poor contact of the vs sensor connector, open or short circuit in the vs sensor wire, or a faulty VS sensor...
View attachment 44068

by the way, in looking at the mil code in the service manual.....it states the engine operates normally....(even with the check engine (mil) light on).
I would check the VS connector as the service manual states before I would start tearing apart the display. While I never looked behind the display, unless it has a separate connection for each sensor it pulls data from, the issues wouldn't be limited to just the speed and odometer. Tearing apart things just to see when you have a pretty good idea of what the problem is opens you up to potentially creating more problems.

Back