• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hard to put bike on OEM centerstand....

Ridr44

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, Is it just me or is this bike super difficult to raise onto the centerstand? I've had lots of bikes and even my Goldwing was more doable than the NC. Suggestions? Thanks Dan

I have a GL1800 and the NC. I don't find the NC any more difficult to put on the centerstand than the Goldwing. If anything it's easier, as would be expected due to the lighter weight.

NCs that have been lowered may be more difficult to raise. Also, if the person is shorter, getting a good grip on the high mounted passenger grab rail is difficult. Perhaps the Goldwing is easier because the grab handle is low.

I have some difficulty lifting it onto the stand at 5'7", 127lbs, but it's not super difficult. Just need to get some momentum and then keep it going as you stand on the lever and pull up/back. (more back than up)

You may be trying to do more lifting than leveraging. Keeping the front wheel straight helps, too. Straighten the leg you're standing on the peg with and just let your body weight lead the rocking of the bike to the rear. A little push/pull away from your body with the right hand and it should just jump the hump so to speak. 'Course, doing it and essssplainin' it are two different things :confused: but I find it just as easy as the Goldwing I had.

Center stand .....one technique to make it easier .........more pushing down with your foot with a smooth even hand lifting. Some quote 80-90% foot effort to 10-20% hand lifting effort. ( FULL BODY weight on the stand lever)

Quoted from the link....."Step down hard on the stand using your body weight while pulling and lifting with your hands and arms. Once you learn the leverage points, the bike will generally rock itself onto the stand."

Putting Your Bike on its Centerstand | Rider Magazine

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5
I have never lifted a Goldwing onto the centerstand but the NC is easier than my ST1300. As others have said as long as it's not lowered or got a damaged centerstand it's all technique and not muscle or body weight. I weigh about 150 lbs.

Last edited:
Suggestions?
Technique and practice. First be sure you NC is centered on the center stand prior to raising, foot pressure down. Grasp hand rail and combining the foot pressing the center stand's lever down, pull straight upward the grab rail. To lessen the effort later, when you are about to replace your rear tire, try a 150/70 17 rear.

Ray

Here is a very simple and cheap trick.
This works best in your normal home parking spot.
Place a piece of 3/4" plywood about 12" x 12" on the floor in the position where your back tire usually rests
Ride or push the bike into your spot so the back tire is on the plywood.
Getting it up onto your center stand will now be way easier.

Yes mine is like that too. Takes more pressure and lift.
My pc800 pops up before I can get all my weight on the lever, and it weighs 600 + LBS.
The dealer tried it and said it hurt his foot.
I've tried Goldwings in The showroom, and don't have to lift so hard.

Be really really careful with the wood shims under the tires............it will make it easier to get on the stand.........but it also makes it easy to get off the stand.........too easy in some cases. The bike can come off the stand without warning, especially around small children. The ease will vary and the tire size, slope, suspension setup, size of the shim etc

Reactions: MZ5
i'm 5 '8, 150 lb. and NC rear is lowered by probably an inch or so. no problem. there is some videos on youtube on how to do it right.
as been said above-left hand on the handlebar, right-on back handle. right feet on center stand.

As a side note about when you have your DCT bike on the center stand
Since the Parking Brake works on the REAR wheel only, it becomes useless when you are on your center stand.
I use a small strip of Velcro wrapped around my front brake lever to prevent the bike from accidentally rolling off the center stand.
:)

As a side note about when you have your DCT bike on the center stand
Since the Parking Brake works on the REAR wheel only, it becomes useless when you are on your center stand.
I use a small strip of Velcro wrapped around my front brake lever to prevent the bike from accidentally rolling off the center stand.
:)

The same concern would apply to a manual or DCT NC. The manual transmission left in 1st gear would not prevent rolling since the rear wheel is off the ground.

I can put mine up on the center stand without using the handlebar...only in emergency situations though, like when I'm holding a beer in my left hand. :D

Seriously though, this bike is taller than anything else I've owned, so the leverage is different. First few times I didn't put enough weight on the stand and had to muscle it up. Then I got the "feel" for it and mostly use momentum of the bike rocking back to lift her up now. Still, I've had bikes that were easier to put up on the stand. For instance, I could put my 1978 Suzuki GS1000L up on the center stand while straddling the bike and that was a much heavier bike. I'd just put both feet on the stand and push down while pulling back on the handlebars.

Back