• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Harley Davidson Avoids Crippling Import Tariff

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Harley-Davidson has just avoided a crushing 56% tariff on importing bikes into the EU – and to say they’re relieved is an understatement.

The Milwaukee-based company has operated for a while with BOI-regulatory credentials, supplying EU markets at 6% tariff rates. They experienced a slight (understatement) bump during the Trump presidency, during which the EU raised tariff rates to 31% for all bikes imported from the U.S. – including Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

As if that wasn’t enough, the tariff was also originally set to increase to 56% as of June 1, 2021. Luckily, the tax was deferred, allowing the American motorcycle company to breathe easily and continue building on their success with their recent LiveWire launch.

Jochen Zeitz, President of Harley Davidson, posing with a company leather jacket.

President, and CEO of Harley-Davidson, Jochen Zeitz, said in a statement:

“We are encouraged by today’s announcement that tariffs affecting our products will not escalate from 31% to 56%. This is the first step in the right direction in a dispute not of our making. Harley-Davidson employees, dealers, stakeholders, and motorcycles have no place in this trade war. These tariffs provide other motorcycle manufacturers with an unfair competitive advantage in the E.U. European motorcycles only pay up to 2.4% to be imported into the U.S. We want free and fair trade. UNITED WE RIDE.”

close-up view of the mechanics of a Harley Davidson motorcycle

As a result of the update, VisorDown has released that Harley-Davidson stock shares shot up to $51.96 in 24 hours – an event that outperformed similar shares with BMW, Honda, and Polaris.

Congratulations to a company that prides itself in free and fair trade, and looking forward to seeing what Harley-Davidson has in store for their (American and European) customers in the coming months.

The post Harley Davidson Avoids Crippling Import Tariff appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I think HD is an American Icon. I shop at their dealers from time to time as I am not brand loyal at all. I ride what works. I wear what works. But I did have an unexpected experience at a dealer this week that we should all know about.

HD wants to sell you a new bike and they want to you bring your bike in for service unmodified. Whatever that means. Do you want some counter guy deciding how unmodified your HD bike is?

A service counter person refused to add my HD foot pegs to the crash bars on my Honda. I paid $100 for those. I had never before had an experience of being refused an external installation because of what brand I rode. Then the conversation moved onto the simple fact that they would also refuse a chopper or heavily modified bike for "liability reasons".

They just don't want my bike in their shop because of the optics - sight unseen. Ok. What sort of optics does your bike reveal? How would you feel about being turned away because you ride a 1992 HD with ape hangars? I noticed that the non HD shop next to this shop seemed to be accommodating these other kinds of HD bikes. Hmmm. Other kinds.

Now, I gotta say. I was polite and spoke with the service agent to the simple fact that this rule would probably never be in writing. I was disappointed, and offered that he could always make a phone call, but otherwise, I was headed to the cashier to buy my parts. I smiled and gave a nod and walked off normally. But he was not interested in all in helping me install my foot pegs... because I was on a Honda.

I was actually quite happy about this because they wanted flat rate service. One hour minimum. That is a lot of money for 15 minutes of work.

I dropped the parts into my tank compartment and rode off to the country beyond Fort Worth.

Eventually I found a small shack shop not too far from Mineral Wells. They installed my HD pegs on the spot for $20. They look great on my Honda. Their service lifts both had bikes on them. They were so nice. And yes. This place was a shack. It was awesome! It was so full of bikes. And these guys knew what they were doing. I expected an armadillo to run across the parking lot. It was all so.... classic Texas.

This was a complete contrast to my experience at the HD dealer service department. In conclusion I would never ask HD to service anything again. I would also not purchase any HD bike in the future. Modifications and customizations is what made HD what it is today. Sales people want to offer you higher and lower bars and chrome pipes long before you pull out your wallet. Slap those pipes on... engine tune be-damned. That is what they tell you on the showroom floor.

So to say that they wont work on your modified bike is a little unnerving.

Many HD riders take pride that their ride is one of a kind. Fast and loud. Their HD ride is special and nobody can tell them otherwise. Their ride is an American icon and source of pride because their ride is theirs and was somewhat unique at the time of purchase. Look at any picture of an HD owner with their bike. They are so happy! HD dealers rarely have two bikes side-by-side painted the same, or with the same options. Paint schemes change constantly.

I do not think any HD employee should turn away a customer because their bike is different. What happened to HD?

The HD attitude is about humanity and community. I think that was lost during my visit to the HD service department. Being turned away was about money and optics and selfish pride.

The conversation lead me to the idea that they will decide if your bike is new enough or meets their standards before they agree to service it. Then you pay a flat rate. A very high flat rate. This is driving HD service business to the smaller shops.

Is HD now all about servicing what you just purchased in the last 5 years? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Alias

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My local multi-brand motorcycle dealership won't work on any bike over 10 years old except for tires and fluids.

You could have requested to speak with the service manager instead of the person at the service counter.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
The service rep did not want to call his manager. He was intent on turning me away. There were three guys sitting there. Two of them were somewhat busy, and one guy was texting. People sometimes ask what you are riding first... as if it matters for a highway peg install. I had heard of this also from small shop techs. They talk about why there is an older HD on their lift. Why they get repeat customers.

I like to preserve a sense of diplomacy. People know my scars and recognize me from my shoulders even from behind. I would prefer people greet me with a smile while I am in my motorcycle gear. I do not want people to react to me as if I am imposing.

I have heard other brand dealerships talk of an 8 year limit. But when I rumbled into any dealership with my Type 1 VMAX, there was just too much excitement to turn me away. It needed valve work and some inspections and I never had a problem anywhere. People equated riding that bike to riding an ICBM, or missile, or a monster engine on two wheels. Nobody enforced their old bike policy. They were more than happy to start it and ride it.

People post such 8 year statements at their counters because people do ride in on machines that resemble rat rods with scrambled wiring and mad max design work. People are afraid to touch anything because something critical might fail.

To turn someone away for highway pegs that they just purchased was a whole new experience. But I have heard of these new IKEA style super HD dealerships being very choosy about who they service. This new dealership was so large, I could not focus my eyes from one side to the other. Yes. I am older. It was kinda fantastic in the showroom. The parts counter guy was super nice and accommodating. He looked at my original Harley pegs and made a good assessment. He matched them up perfectly with new parts. So, the welcoming HD experience was there.

I also experienced this welcoming environment a month earlier when shopping for HD boots at another new dealership. The counter ladies gave me directions for the best touring routes. Wow. So nice.

But I make it a point to talk to people about their experiences. And I am getting the impression that I am not the first to experience this problem of servicing older bikes. I do not even buy new cars anymore. So I would want someone to service my older bike from the dealer.

Subaru never turned me away... or anyone else. No matter how old the car was. I digress.

Harley is clearly getting choosy who they will service. This would encourage people to trade up. I was starting to see this pattern when I brought in my Spyder for inspection. They loved inspecting that monstrosity. But I could see how they directed older HD bikes to park.... over there... in back. Or... ride across the street to the off-site shop.

itsmenc700

Reaction score
Visit site
Harley might have problems in the UK -

Survey: 31% of UK motorcyclists would quit riding if forced to go electric​

Wonder why they dont take that poll in the US?

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
That is very interesting. I would not mind a hybrid bike that still rumbled... gave me 100MPG and could operate fully electric on demand.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is where I went after I was turned away from a Dallas Harley dealer. DRD machine. Definitely one of the most hospitable shops and all too happy to chat and work at the same time. At first, i thought it was an abandoned shack. Then i looked closer. The ancient cola machine on the porch was a nice touch. There is a lot of charm in texas in 100 year old structures that have been re-purposed. I expected ZZ top to appear out of thin air and sing or something.

Attachments

• 59DD8B83-AE80-47F6-BF86-80E0DAE9E2A2.jpeg
    59DD8B83-AE80-47F6-BF86-80E0DAE9E2A2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • 96512339-E167-4F4F-9C57-63F4DAB084A7.jpeg
    96512339-E167-4F4F-9C57-63F4DAB084A7.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. Surely I did too. I saw right through this action for what it was. But if you wont install it, don’t sell it. If it is a liability issue, don’t sell it. Otherwise...

I have a floor-mount bedroom marital aid I would like to sell you. You will need to hire a two man operational support crew. One to operate the crane and the other a jackhammer operator. Please contact your local union representative before attempting to use my product between the hours of 10pm and 6am. Please have a city inspector check the floor mount before operating. You may be required to pay your union support crew double-time. Check with your insurance company before operating. We will not be held responsible for any personal injuries while testing or operating post purchase. Please consult with a marital therapist before using. Please wait 5 days before repeated use. Do not eat or drink two hours before using.

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
My local HD dealer basically won’t touch it unless it’s a Harley. Their loss I guess. I’m not totally enamored with the general image HD puts out either. If I get the itch to ride a ‘murican bike i think I’ll head over to Indian.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My local HD dealer basically won’t touch it unless it’s a Harley. Their loss I guess. I’m not totally enamored with the general image HD puts out either. If I get the itch to ride a ‘murican bike i think I’ll head over to Indian.
Yup, I once carried a loose Goldwing wheel and tire into the local Harley dealer and asked them to mount it. They refused to do so, being that it was a Honda wheel.

It's interesting to note, that Harley dealer has since gone out of business.