• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has anyone put lower bars on their Nc700/750 to make it more comfortable?

Gixus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2021 Nc750. I’m 6’2”. All my bikes prior to the Nc were sports oriented. Which meant they had clip ons or somewhat narrow, low bars. My last Gsxr1000, a 2005, I modified to fit me. I put on helibars which raised the clip ons 1.5 inches up and half an inch back. I also adjusted the footrests and lowered them 3/4 of an inch down and back. This made the bike comfortable for me. I had no problem doing 500 mile days with this set up. Sure I knew that I’d ridden a fair distance, but I wasn’t worn out, just a little achy in parts.

The reason for the preamble is that I don’t find the Nc particularly comfortable. The riding position doesn’t suit me. The bars are too high and close. It feels ok for the first half hour and then I start to feel uncomfortable. I don’t ride off road so I don’t need high bars for standing on the pegs.

I’m considering some bars which have half the rise of the stock ones and give more of a forward lean. They’re also 2” narrower.
Has anyone of around my height put lower bars on their bikes and was it an improvement for them?

Most guys on these forums put handlebar risers 2" up 2" back. I'm ok with the stock set up but then I'm a munchkin. I'm sure someone has altered their bike to a more sporting position though...maybe TacomaJD who races one?

Thread moved to NC750 Modifications.

I just put a set of clubman bars on my 2014 NC (including a 2" riser rotated back about 45 degrees). It's a work still in progress, so I'll have pics up fairly soon.

Since the previous owner of the bike only had the Puig touring screens, I opted to source a stock small screen (thanks halfspindoc!) so that the stock handguards would work. I painted the inside of the stock screen red (to match the bike color) for more daytime road presence. This morning was the first ride with that installed. Still have to put the handguards back on.

My comfort is more related to my elbow tension and position than being lower -- the slope of the grip with the clubmans allows for a hand and elbow position closer to a "handshake" than "keyboard". My background in bicycle racing just finds that far more comfortable.

All that said... There isn't much you can do to lower the bars without making your thumbs hit the "tank" at full steering lock. Don't want to make a tank-slapper (or u-turn, for that matter) into a "thumb breaker". You might need to fiddle with risers as well as different bars.

briderdt.

Sounds interesting! Look forward to the photos. It just so happens that I have a set of clubmans laying around I haven’t used for years. :)

Interesting thread. I relate.
Briderdt, and Gixus, I also have a background in bicycle racing, and still prefer a more racing oriented ergo. (I'm 6'1" and can ride the NC with stock bars, but prefer something lower)
As has been mentioned, many opt for higher and more rearward bars. I think it's related to most folks carrying a big belly around or being shorter. (or both)
I will likely leave mine as is because the NC's "temperament" is more laid back and non-racy, which the stock ergonomics align with- but am interested in seeing pics as you complete the project.

General handling... A slight bit more force to countersteer in hard sweeps, but a lot less of the "tractor steering wheel" feeling when slow turning to lockout (mostly because the bars are almost 2" narrower). My arms are a lot more relaxed though. Elbows drop naturally, shoulders relax a lot more. YMMV.

Glad it works for you. I don’t mind the angle of the bar, just the height and width. Have my eye on a bar with half the height and 2”s shorter.

Glad it works for you. I don’t mind the angle of the bar, just the height and width. Have my eye on a bar with half the height and 2”s shorter.
Hey! did you ever go through with this by any chance? looking to do the same!

briderdt.

Sounds interesting! Look forward to the photos. It just so happens that I have a set of clubmans laying around I haven’t used for years. :)
Me too. I have been thinking about options to raise mine just a bit recently. Any information on sourcing for the bars (and difficulties with the replacement) would be appreciated.

Back