• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has anyone used a JT chain?? Not sprockets, but chain?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I found 1 other person on here who said they (may have?) tried the JT chain, but there is no follow-up to date.

Amazon has a package deal for a 16T front sprocket, 43T rear, both JT, and a JT X1R2 x-ring chain.
$85.45 shipped.
Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTSK1035 520X1R2 Chain and 16 Front/43 Rear Tooth Sprocket Kit: Automotive

I have confidence in the JT sprockets, though my personal preference would be for the drilled/lightened Honda front, or the SuperLite front, but the JT are good quality. I know nothing of their chains, though. I'm guessing Chinese-sourced, given the price, but my (rather extensive?) experience with Chinese-sourced bearings, sprockets, and such is that there's no inherent reason for them to be worse than Japanese-made, or American-made. Seems to be more a case of whether the steel they used was up to par, and how well-controlled their processes are (and how well overseen/QC'd they are by the company here).

Anyway, this is a very attractive-looking option, so I wondered whether anyone had tried a JT chain before. If you have, how well did it last for you?

JT Sprockets: JT Drive Chain

MZ5; that is the set (from Amazon) which I installed 2 days ago. I installed the JTSprockets/chain on my baby beemer (when I owned it). I liked them, that is why I went with the JT Sprockets. However, I only placed about 3000 miles on the baby beemer with the new chain/sprockets before I traded it in for the Honda. If you want to wait until the end of the summer, after I run the sprockets/chains for a few thousand miles, I will give an update :). That is a good deal, 2 weeks ago when I ordered mine via Amazon, shipping wasn't free :( and since I live in Indiana, had to pay sales tax to Amazon also, so my total was $108 (still a good deal compared to other brands). I will check the box the chain was shipped in when I get home and see if manufacture location is on the box.

Just ordered one thanks to your post. I like their sprockets very much and always re-order them.
I've been using the D.I.D. VX2 (gold) chain regularly and get about 14K out of one... for $80.
The JT chain and the D.I.D. rivet link (wow, I hope those two are compatible) were $62.
It's worth a try...
I'll post the mileage I get out of it when I know what it was!
jt chain.jpg

Davidc83, I bought one of their chains, too, so we'll both be testing 'em out!

I bet you got their last kit/set, Strat! They only had one left when I left.

Good luck to us, the almost-beta-testers!
:)

I have a thread in the garage section where I discuss installing the new JT 525 chain (up from stock 520). The upgrade in chain size comes at less than a one pound penalty and the sprocket fitment is perfect. I have 42,500 on my Tiger 800 525 chain and that is a bike with more weight and power. I have had the NC JT chain in use for just over 2,000 miles and not had to even do an initial adjustment yet. I follow Donna when she rides the NC and the chain rolls perfectly smooth so no tight spots or out of round sprockets.

See my write-up in the garage section.

I bought a jt chain for my 1050 tiger. it almost killed me. snapped on a busy interstate with less then 1k miles on it. I would never buy one again. ymmv

I bought a jt chain for my 1050 tiger. it almost killed me. snapped on a busy interstate with less then 1k miles on it. I would never buy one again. ymmv

Holy smokes, I thought that snapped chains on street bikes went away after the 70's. I think I'll stick to DID, RK, Regina.. etc..

I have had my JT chain and sprockets on now for 3 months-5,000+ miles; no problems detected-no stretching of chain (no adjustments needed) at this time.

I put my JT chain on a new set of sprockets just before heading out of the state earlier this summer. I'm not certain just off-hand how many miles I've put on it now, but it's between 3 & 5,000. I've adjusted it once.

Bringing thread back to life. At 5000 miles, the chain was good (see comment above). It went downhill from there. It started stretching and I had to replace it this past Tuesday evening with only (I though originally I had about 14,000 miles on it but checked my records-memory sucks these days) 9000 miles on it. It had stretched to the point of no more adjustments available and last week the chain started making that clanking noise in the front sprocket area.

When I took it off, there was 18 inches of chain which was so stiff I could barely move the links-wasn't there 2 weeks ago when I cleaned the chain.
I replaced the front sprocket only because I took it off to compare to the 9000 mile sprocket and there was no difference. I left the rear 9000 mile sprocket on because there was no difference between it and the new one. I will keep the old front sprocket and new rear sprocket for the next chain replacement-may put the old front on to have matching old and matching new.

This time I ordered the JT X-ring chain instead of the 0 ring. I had 22,000 miles on the original chain and only 9000 miles on this chain. However, on the 9000 mile chain, I used exclusively chain wax instead of lithium grease or chain lube-oil base- (except for my ride down to the Dragon in May-used chain lube at the Dragon). I cleaned the chain every 400-600 miles (except the ride to the Dragon in May). I am going back to Lithium grease and oil based chain lube and see what happens. If it happens again, I will probably switch to DID chains.

My cleaning method of cleaning chain: wipe entire chain with cloth doused in Kerosene or Diesel fuel, wipe off excess, take a soft brush (old toothbrush or something similar) and clean the links, wipe the chain with cloth, then spray with some type of chain lube. No longer fan of Chain Wax..

I had followed up on this chain experience, but it must've been in another thread. My JT chain also stretched out/wore out much too quickly. Similar life as yours, and I run a Motobriiz auto-oiler. The chains just aren't very durable, IMO/E.

Just found this thread. After ordering. jT chain ��

Do not feel bad. I ordered one and installed it on my bike too. I will have to keep a close watch on it and log my adjustments and then the final mileage I was able to get out of it.

The price of the chain made it too hard to past up.

giphy.gif

Check out ProjectFarm channel on YouTube, click on videos, search for Chain - he scientifically tests everything from traditional 90W Gear oil down to chain wax. Chain wax ranks at the bottom and gear oil (recommended by almost all chain mfg's and the Honda manual is #1).

Check out ProjectFarm channel on YouTube, click on videos, search for Chain - he scientifically tests everything from traditional 90W Gear oil down to chain wax. Chain wax ranks at the bottom and gear oil (recommended by almost all chain mfg's and the Honda manual is #1).
A couple years ago I switched away from spray chain lubes to sparingly wiping the chain with 90w gear oil and I’m convinced gear oil is the way to go for minimizing the fling mess and maximizing chain life.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Some years back I met a forum member that swore by a 50/50 mix of ATF and 90w gear oil. "Gear oil lubricates and the ATF conditions the chain's O-rings" or so he said. He showed me to wipe the chain clean with a cloth wetted with WD40 then apply a single dip of the mix on a toothbrush to the lower run of the chain. The wheel stays as clean as my shaft driven bikes and the chain and sprocket don't accumulate a bunch of crud. For trips I have a little bag some folded paper shop towel, a tiny spray bottle of WD40, a cut-down toothbrush, and travel sized bottle of lubricant.

...a forum member that swore by a 50/50 mix of ATF and 90w gear oil. "Gear oil lubricates and the ATF conditions the chain's O-rings" or so he said. ...The wheel stays as clean as my shaft driven bikes and the chain and sprocket don't accumulate a bunch of crud. For trips I have a little bag some folded paper shop towel, a tiny spray bottle of WD40, a cut-down toothbrush, and travel sized bottle of lubricant.
Gr8 Stuff. As you said and I believe there are many "mixes" of lubricants that get the job done. When I'm in a hurry I use WD-40. I'm considering adding the short plastic fender to keep dirt off the chain and shock.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Some years back I met a forum member that swore by a 50/50 mix of ATF and 90w gear oil. "Gear oil lubricates and the ATF conditions the chain's O-rings" or so he said. He showed me to wipe the chain clean with a cloth wetted with WD40 then apply a single dip of the mix on a toothbrush to the lower run of the chain. The wheel stays as clean as my shaft driven bikes and the chain and sprocket don't accumulate a bunch of crud. For trips I have a little bag some folded paper shop towel, a tiny spray bottle of WD40, a cut-down toothbrush, and travel sized bottle of lubricant.
Do you still use this mix? Do your chain/sprockets last? I use wax spray but am interested in this idea. Thanks.

Do you still use this mix? Do your chain/sprockets last? I use wax spray but am interested in this idea. Thanks.
Yes, I still do. I’d have to review past posts for specifics about life because I only have about 13,000 miles on this bike’s chain. I’ve owned two previous NCs but discarded maintenance records when I got rid of #1 & #2. I’m thinking about 18,000 miles per chain, with new countershaft sprocket each chain. Rear sprocket goes at least two chains.

Reactions: DCM
Back