• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

HD Pan America

I saw that earlier today. I'm curious to see the in-depth review. I would never consider buying one but I hope it does well for Harley.

Actually, this is a bike I'd look very hard at if I was in the market for something that big and costly. One would get a vastly superior dealer network, and presumably parts and service support, than any of the Euro bikes, when riding in North America. I'm much less knowledgeable about foreign locations for motorcycle support.

I hope it's a success for H-D. They badly need something besides the cruises that appeal mainly to well-aged pirates. We'll see whether this has any better staying power than the V-rod.

I watched several videos and reviews of the Pan America yesterday. I am very intrigued. The price tag (really the general price for any of these big adventure rigs) will keep my away for the foreseeable future, but I like what this bike has to offer. One issue for me with this whole market segment is the off road aspect. I think they put a lot of effort and expense into making these big heavy beasts "off road capable" but if I am going to do much off road I will get a nice light dual sport. I am much more interested in the touring/sport aspect the Pan American offers. If it can put all the horsepower controllably to the pavement it might be something I would take a serious look at. I don't know if I can get past that headlight/grill :)

I think the headlight area makes them look like a cross between a 1980s-era Cylon (Battlestar Galactica) and one of the existing H-D road machines whose names I'm not familiar with.

I agree that this class of bike is about riding on pavement, gravel, and fairly good dirt roads in a more upright position than a cruiser or sport bike can offer (isn't riding position a primary distinction between those 'classes' of motorcycle anyway?). It's difficult to see ANY advantage to a >1200cc (if I'm honest, >750cc is more like it) 'off-road' motorcycle. There's absolutely ZERO advantage to 150 hp vs. maybe 50 - 70-ish off-road, and there are various disadvantages. I know that this bike is only _barely_ heavier than our NCXs, but that is also true of other big adventure bikes and they still _feel_ a bunch heavier.

I think the headlight area makes them look like a cross between a 1980s-era Cylon (Battlestar Galactica) and one of the existing H-D road machines whose names I'm not familiar with.

I agree that this class of bike is about riding on pavement, gravel, and fairly good dirt roads in a more upright position than a cruiser or sport bike can offer (isn't riding position a primary distinction between those 'classes' of motorcycle anyway?). It's difficult to see ANY advantage to a >1200cc (if I'm honest, >750cc is more like it) 'off-road' motorcycle. There's absolutely ZERO advantage to 150 hp vs. maybe 50 - 70-ish off-road, and there are various disadvantages. I know that this bike is only _barely_ heavier than our NCXs, but that is also true of other big adventure bikes and they still _feel_ a bunch heavier.
Honestly I think the Pan America, the 1250GS and other LARGE "ADV-Touring" bikes are really just bikes built for people who want a superior road touring bike but don't want a GoldWing. Personally I doubt that many of them will ever go off road, except 1 or 2 times, just so the owner can say "well yes, I've ridden it in the dirt" while he sips his latte at Starbucks.

I think the GoldWing is an amazing bike but I just doubt there is much chance I'd ever buy one. Same can be said about my admiration for the modern Indian or HD cruisers; big, comfortable cruisers, but I just have no desire to own one. On the other hand, a grand touring sized Africa Twin might get me to switch away from the NC-750x for my touring needs someday. The current AT doesn't compete with the comfort and features of the big GS class ADV Touring bikes, it is lighter and easier to thrash around, offers fewer features and really is in a different class.

It is my sincere hope that the Pan America is a huge success for H-D but these huge bikes are really best at beating human bodies up when taken off road AND also for cruising down the asphalt in extreme comfort without riding a cruiser or 'wing. I look at them as upright touring bikes. Perhaps very capable touring bikes but still pretty much upright touring bikes.

I think we are all saying the same thing. What we really want is a way to comfortably put some highway touring and light sport miles under the tires without the size and expense of a Goldwing or HD sofacycle, and without being hunched over like a MotoGP racer. I have looked at alternatives in this area. Before I bought my NC I looked at the Yamaha FJ-09 and the Kawasaki Z900. Both great bikes but a little more HP than I needed and some trade-off of comfort for performance. I think there is an underserved market somewhere between the adventure bikes and the sport/touring bikes that isn't being adequately filled. Funny you mentioned a Cylon. That's the first thing I thought of too, I just was afraid I was gonna be the only one old enough to remember them.

If I were looking to upgrade this would be on my short list, but 64 mpg on the NC has me spoiled.

Back