• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Head on collision, lost my nerve

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident and injuries. I won't speculate on your decision to ride again as that is something that I think is a very personal decision. I have been in a few accidents and have been down a few times, and one of those times kept me off motorcycles for a very long time. But the urge to ride is strong, and eventually I decided to take the MSF to see how I felt. I was hooked again after that. Years ago I used to ride in jeans and T shirts, but I'm an ATGATT convert these days. I don't ride at night if I can help it, I don't ride if I've had anything to drink - even one. I'm as safe as I can be while riding these days. But there are no guarantees, as your experience shows. One can only manage the odds to the best of their ability.

I'm also a big fan of dash cams and am currently working on a DIY helmet mount for two small front and rear facing cameras. I use dash cams in my car and on my bicycles, because the first thing many people do when they get in an accident is lie through their teeth if they even stick around for that. Camera footage is evidence and better than an eye witness. My girlfriend knows that if anything ever happens to me on the road, she should see what's on those cameras.

Hoping for a quick recovery and a long healthy life for you.

I appreciate you telling your story. Glad your Ok. Whether you decide to ride or not can only be determined by you. We all have a different way of looking at things. When I was in the army, if you had a near death experience while jumping out of a plane (parachuting) they went out of their way to get you on the next thing flying to get you through that fear factor. I had a malfunction of my civilian parachute (skydiving) over the skies of Shreveport in the year 2000 where I had to cut away my main and deploy me reserve. It was a bit scary but I made myself jump again that same day after the rigger inspected my gear and repacked my reserve. So my feelings are to get back on the horse. Again, only you can determine if that is right for you but the longer you wait the easier it is to say NO.

Damn that sucks. Get well - there are plenty of fun hobbies out there.

SergeantChuck - i took a trip to the hospital when working on my USPA Class C license and regret not getting back into it. Of course i had to sell my gear to pay for medical bills lol

Everyone's nightmare if you ride. Glad you'll recover from this. Unfortunately s#(t happens and as stated you don't have to decide today or even next month if you are unable to walk yet. I ride with a number of different groups more than one person has had horrible a accident I won't go into it but unfortunately worse than yours. They are still riding, one went to Alaska and back recently. In my life I could list you good friends who rode for years yet died from disease or old age, still wanting that last twist of the throttle. Do what you think best but do not let fear get the best of you. Stay strong, sorry about your bike a well this is one time I would feel justified to sue the breathe out of the drivers lungs, the inheritance from their children's children's children.

Last edited:
I am really glad to hear you survived and the prognosis for recovery is good. The gear makes a big difference. Kudos to you for wearing it all. Your accident brings back more consideration of me getting the air bag jacket system. It's about $500, but I wonder if it would have helped you in the crash. I had bad crash in 2003 on the way home from the dealership with my brand new 2003 BMW 1200GT. Totalled the brand new bike. I had been riding for over 10 years when that happened. I took a year off from motorcycling to recover both physically and mentally. I did jump back on a 2nd bike i had about 2 months after the crash just to prove I could still do it. However, the fear of going down again and a lot of traffic in my area had me worrying too much. Take your time. The physical healing will probably take less time than the mental healing but I think you'll be OK. Thanks for sharing your story.

I've always like this quote from Hunter S Thompson;

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Live your life like it was the only one you'll ever have, whether you ever ride again or not is secondary to living a happy and full life.

Condolences on your accident and God speed on your recovery.

I won't venture to give advice but rather assurance that I too, fear a similar occurrence, and I think it would be irresponsible not to.

Make your decision based on what is right for you and your family and you will be on a positive vector.

To quote my hero!

Aren't you scared you'll kill yourself if you crash your motorcycle?

Burt Munro: No... When your dead your dead.... You live more in five minutes on a motorcycle than some people live in a lifetime.

Back