• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heading to the start of the 2017IBR

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Weather looks good for my run from Maine to Saint Louis Park, MN where the 2017 Iron Butt Rally is headquartered. My kickstand will be up at 05:30 tomorrow morning the 22nd. Should be there sometime Friday. If anyone is around, stop by and check out some of really crazy Long Distance modded motorcycles in the parking lot of the Marriott. Riders will be there through the weekend and then off to who knows where starting Monday @ 10:00 ;-)

Anyone interested in following the rally can check out the official daily reports from start until the conclusion (back at the Marriott) about 11 days later. The 2017 IBR daily reports site is dark now, but will go live sometime late Friday.

Last edited:
Weather looks good for my run from Maine to Saint Louis Park, MN where the 2017 Iron Butt Rally is headquartered. My kickstand will be up at 05:30 tomorrow morning the 22nd. Should be there sometime Friday. If anyone is around, stop by and check out some of really crazy Long Distance modded motorcycles in the parking lot of the Marriott. Riders will be there through the weekend and then off to who knows where starting Monday @ 10:00 ;-)

Anyone interested in following the rally can check out the official daily reports from start until the conclusion (back at the Marriott) about 11 days later. The 2017 IBR daily reports site is dark now, but will go live sometime late Friday.
Are you competing again this year?

Dave,

I was fortunate to be drawn and will be competing again (with myself!). I think there might be one or two other forum members running also, but not sure as some riders choose to stay dark.

Was a nice 800+ mile run from Maine to western Ohio where I stopped for the night. Should be at the Marriott in MN later this evening and I will enjoy some time off the bike for a few days while getting all the official business squared away.

Lovin' the new Russell seat, but my Pro-Oiler is acting a bit flaky, the GPS (I have the GPS model) is very intermittently working. Thankfully, I can override it and manually press a button to lube/clean the chain while riding.

EDIT: For anyone interested in following riders, this is the live Spotwalla (tracking) page. Rider's IDs are periodically scrambled but you can get an idea of where everyone is headed. I hate it when I go south and the other 95 rider all go north...gets me nervous ;-)

SpotWalla.com - 2017 Ironbutt Rally

Last edited:
Dave,

I was fortunate to be drawn and will be competing again (with myself!). I think there might be one or two other forum members running also, but not sure as some riders choose to stay dark.

Was a nice 800+ mile run from Maine to western Ohio where I stopped for the night. Should be at the Marriott in MN later this evening and I will enjoy some time off the bike for a few days while getting all the official business squared away.

Lovin' the new Russell seat, but my Pro-Oiler is acting a bit flaky, the GPS (I have the GPS model) is very intermittently working. Thankfully, I can override it and manually press a button to lube/clean the chain while riding.

EDIT: For anyone interested in following riders, this is the live Spotwalla (tracking) page. Rider's IDs are periodically scrambled but you can get an idea of where everyone is headed. I hate it when I go south and the other 95 rider all go north...gets me nervous ;-)

SpotWalla.com - 2017 Ironbutt Rally
Well, good luck to you and say hi to Shuey if you see him.

I know your riding right now,

What size aux tank did u take?

926a54fc84b1e9b68d33bd45349036aa.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was a very challenging ride for me. Much more difficult than my two previous IBRs which were mostly 'twist and go' with very little routing strategy needed. That was my downfall ;-)

The NC performed beautifully, no excuses there at all. The NC garnered a lot of attention at checkpoints, being that it is not your "typical" LD mount, having little in the way of farkles and being chain driven.

Thank you for the well wishes and congratulations, once back in Maine I will write up a little report. It was a real privilege to be chosen and to ride with some guys (and gals!) in the IBR and I'm very thankful for the opportunity.

It is going to be weird riding the 2,000 miles back home and not being on the clock....Weird but relaxing!

I noticed at the Allen checkpoint, you still had your aux tank jb welded into the gas cap (I do also BTW). I assume the IBR staff had no issues with that? Was that a 2.5 gallon tank?

LD you are an amazing rider. You ride another 4K just getting to and from the IBR! My hat is off to you!

Back