• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Information Headlight Beam Usage

ST13Fred

Reaction score
Visit site
Surviving 57+ years of motorcycle riding I've as of late adjusted hi/lo beam usage.

Glaring sun is more dangerous for commuting verses overcast days.
On clear days I run hi beam, lo on overcast. Shadows from the sun make eye adjustment more difficult.
Lower wintertime sun increases glare (imperative to run hi beam) and is more hazardous.
Blue Skies Green Lights has a drawback. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
That's why I run my little 'conspicuity' LEDs. They don't help me see, but they sure help let others know I'm there.

Low and wide on the crash bars making a larger looking frontal area.

On my NC and on my Goldwing, the high beam headlight(s) is/are modulated during daylight hours. This make the motorcycle quite noticeable. With daytime high beams, the Goldwing will have four bright headlights lit, two of them flashing. I don’t use the high beams full time during the day, rather it’s discretionary based on the situation.

Both bikes run low mounted driving lights to enhance conspicuity.

On my NC and on my Goldwing, the high beam headlight(s) is/are modulated during daylight hours. This make the motorcycle quite noticeable. With daytime high beams, the Goldwing will have four bright headlights lit, two of them flashing. I don’t use the high beams full time during the day, rather it’s discretionary based on the situation.

Both bikes run low mounted driving lights to enhance conspicuity.
What do you use for modulators on the NC?

What do you use for modulators on the NC?
I still run an incandescent headlamp in my 2012 NC, so it’s an old modulator I probably pulled off a previous bike.

LED headlights require an LED specific modulator, or else the high-low modulation brightness levels will probably not comply with the law. I have no idea what modulator, if any, would work on a late model NC with OEM LED headlight.

That's why I run my little 'conspicuity' LEDs. They don't help me see, but they sure help let others know I'm there.

Low and wide on the crash bars making a larger looking frontal area.
One time I pulled out in front of a cruiser style motorcycle whose owner installed large incandescent lights on the outside of his wide crash bars popular on cruisers. Much wider than those normally installed on adventure style motorcycles. The lights were 6 to 8" in diameter similar to the size found on older cars or trucks. It was a bad mistake on my part and I did not realize how close he was on the posted 55 mph country road. It was a rural intersection in the early morning with the sun still below the tree line. Twilight of dawn you might say. When I saw what was happening I did not fully enter his lane and twisted my ST1300's throttle to the stop and rapidly opened up the distance between us. Still, I cut the guy off and he probably had to use his brakes or I at least made him wonder WTH I pulled out in front of him. Once I was safely ahead I slowed to match his speed as we rode a few miles into the next town. I watched him behind me closely and came to the conclusion why I did what I did. The reason I cut him off was that his lighting profile looked like a car 1/4 mile away instead of a motorcycle 100 yards away. I misjudged the vehicle type and distance based on the "headlights". The size, color of his lights, and excessive width between the lights and the dimness of the stock headlight fooled me into thinking he was a car much further away, a safe distance away. When we rolled up to the 4 way stop intersection of the next town I waited for him and motioned to speak to him. I apologized and remarked the width and position of his lights made him look like a car much further away. He told me to mind my own business and pay more attention to motorcycles. I can't fault his sentiment expressed but to my past-middle-age old eyes his safety lighting was the opposite.

Like you, I believe small powerful white LED lights in a small triangle or trapezoid relative to the stock headlight(s) changed to LEDs offer up vehicle lighting profile that is not easily confused with a car. I could be wrong but this belief guides me when I purchase and install conspicuity lighting. Of course, if the driver is not looking or looks but does not see me I have to be ahead of the situation. People collide with school buses and emergency vehicles.

Last edited:
On my NC and on my Goldwing, the high beam headlight(s) is/are modulated during daylight hours. This make the motorcycle quite noticeable
Aftermarket modulating headlights started in the 90s. I never liked them because they annoyed me and in my thinking, could bring out a wrong reaction.
LEDs revolutionized vehicle lighting. Correctly adjusted they lite up the roadway without casting shadows. Using far less wattage they also run cooler.

Last edited:
Aftermarket modulating headlights started in the 90s. I never liked them because they annoyed me and in my thinking, could bring out a wrong reaction.
LEDs revolutionized vehicle lighting. Correctly adjusted they lit up the roadway without casting shadows. Using far less wattage they also run cooler.
Yes, riders have varied opinions about headlight modulators. As I said, I use them when appropriate for certain situations.

large incandescent lights on the outside of his wide crash bars popular on cruisers. The lights were 6 to 8" in diameter similar to the size found on older cars or trucks.
I'll bet he ran 200 watts or better with that set up. Most bikes don't like more than 100 watt draw on the electrical system.
LED are beautiful on a clear glass segmented reflector headlight assembly ( 2017 and earlier NC).

Last edited:
Back