• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Headlights and Bulbs

The Phoenix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. As I consider adding additional driving lights to my 2021 NC750 DCT I was wondering if it were possible to change the LED bulb in the headlight?
It would seem to be an easier fix if I could get brighter lights by changing the bulb rather than adding auxiliary driving lights.
Is there anyone who has done this on a 2021 NC, or even knows if this can be done?
Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

Hello all. As I consider adding additional driving lights to my 2021 NC750 DCT I was wondering if it were possible to change the LED bulb in the headlight?
It would seem to be an easier fix if I could get brighter lights by changing the bulb rather than adding auxiliary driving lights.
Is there anyone who has done this on a 2021 NC, or even knows if this can be done?
Thanks in advance for any information you can share.
I don’t know if you can or can’t.

Food for thought: I consider the headlight and tail/brake light to be critical and necessary operational and safety components. My priority is to maintain their reliability, over enhancing their performance. Maintain stock headlight and taillight and add extra lights to increase visibility and conspicuity. I have seen so many aftermarket LED assemblies fail prematurely. The light emitting diode itself is a reliable device, but the mount structures, power supplies, and cooling are often inadequate designs.

I don’t know if you can or can’t.

Food for thought: I consider the headlight and tail/brake light to be critical and necessary operational and safety components. My priority is to maintain their reliability, over enhancing their performance. Maintain stock headlight and taillight and add extra lights to increase visibility and conspicuity. I have seen so many aftermarket LED assemblies fail prematurely. The light emitting diode itself is a reliable device, but the mount structures, power supplies, and cooling are often inadequate designs.
670cc your point is well taken. Before I undertake the projects to add auxiliary lights I guess I had to ask the question. Still I don't want to pursue an approach that will end up being more of a problem than a solution.
Thanks for sharing for your response.

I thought the headlight on the 2021 model was already LED....or was that something which was only on the European models.
You are correct. The headlight is an LED. I was wondering whether the bulb in it might be changed to a brighter one rather than add auxiliary driving lights.

You are correct. The headlight is an LED. I was wondering whether the bulb in it might be changed to a brighter one rather than add auxiliary driving lights.
You will need to determine the lumen of the LED headlight bulb (dont know if that is in your operator's manual) and then see if you can get an higher lumen bulb. My 2013 NC700x came with a non-led headlight and I swapped it with a plug-play 6500k LED headlight bulb. A 4000K led isnt really brighter than a 6500k led, just a difference of what the light looks like-while the 4000k may have a yellowish to white color, the 6500k may have a blueish to white color. 6500K appears to be the highest most vehicles use. The 4000k and 6500k doesnt have anything to do with Lumens though, as 4000k and 6500k refers to Kelvin temps....There are 20000 lumen LED headlights with a Kelvin temp rating of 6500k. Just looked and my LED headlight bulbs are 1600 lumen. I havent seen a newer NC (such as a 2021), so I dont know the footprint of the headlights...such as, is it an hb3, hb4, etc....

I’m interested in this usage of the term “bulb” as it applies to the NC750X LED headlight. I have never seen one up close, so I do not know how the headlight assembly is constructed. I do see on my CRF250L Rally LED headlight assembly that there is no “bulb” as we might historically have described one, nor does there appear to be any user replaceable lamp component.

So the question is, before this goes much further: Is there is actually a replacable LED lamp in the modern NC750X LED headlight?

Secondly, if there is a replaceable “bulb”, the replacement light source needs to emit light from the same location and in the same pattern in order for the reflector or projector to provide the proper light beam shaping. The chances of a very good match to the original design are likely to be slim.

In my experience, OEM LED headlights are hard soldered to a PCB within the housing. I don't know 100% for sure on the new NC though, but it's probably the case. This would make swapping the LED impractical, especially since Honda lighting engineers probably spent hundreds or thousands of hours matching the optimum output and beam pattern while complying to DOT standards.

Also keep in mind that each lens will have its own LED, on the 2021 NC pics I just looked at, there are 6 separate lenses.

Also, there are numerous reports stating that for visibility, you are better having lights in multiple locations of varying kelvin ratings. So you'd be a lot safer with say yellow driving lights mounted to your crash bars.
Rigid has various light pods and I can attest to their durability and light output. Clearwater and Denali have highly reviewed stuff and is more expensive than Rigid. Harbor Freight has pods too, cheap to buy if you want to figure out your system before going all in.

Back