• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heated grips - compatibility with handguards

janea

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

I own a 2018 Honda NC750X on which I have installed Puig handguards (model 8549J) not too long ago. Now I am considering a set of heated grips and I wonder if some are or not compatible with the handguards now installed (due to length, etc.).

I am leaning more towards an OEM pair, as opposed to some aftermarket brand (for example, Oxford), mainly due to no need to have an detached/external heat controller. Having the integrated control in the OEM model appeals to me, but I am open to consider alternatives.

Could you please let me know your thoughts on the compatibility between the heated grips and handguards? Are there other non-OEM alternatives that are worth a look?

With many thanks,
Janea

I have had both OEM and Oxford heated grips on two different NCs with two different brands of hand guards. There was no fit interference. I also have Oxford heated grips on a CRF, and Showchrome heated grips on a Goldwing. In all cases, the heated grip length matched stock grip size, so there was no interference with hand guards or handlebar weights.

The Oxford grips come in different models, but I have used the “Adventure“ version and the size matched the original grips, however a little trimming of the plastic throttle tube was always necessary.

I also have Oxford heated grips, but with Honda's OEM handguards. No issue whatsoever, other than they get too damn hot on their highest setting!

I have had both OEM and Oxford heated grips on two different NCs with two different brands of hand guards. There was no fit interference. I also have Oxford heated grips on a CRF, and Showchrome heated grips on a Goldwing. In all cases, the heated grip length matched stock grip size, so there was no interference with hand guards or handlebar weights.

The Oxford grips come in different models, but I have used the “Adventure“ version and the size matched the original grips, however a little trimming of the plastic throttle tube was always necessary.
Thank you @670cc for your input! Much appreciated

These are the Apollo heated grips, No separate controller, just that little button. There a 5 settings, each time you tap the button it goes to the next highest heat setting. If you hold the button-down for several seconds, that will also power off.
If you powered off on the 3rd setting, by holding it down for several seconds, it will default back to that 3rd setting the next time you turn it on.
They do have 2 lengths, I am fairly certain it is the 120 mm length which worked perfectly for me. As 670cc said, it did require a little bit of trimming on the throttle tube side of the textured nubs in an effort to slide the grip on.
No interference with Barkbusters either.
20200809_105430.jpg

Last edited:
These are the Apollo heated grips, No separate controller, just that little button. There a 5 settings, each time you tap the button it goes to the next highest heat setting. If you hold the button-down for several seconds, that will also power off.
If you powered off on the 3rd setting, by holding it down for several seconds, it will default back to that 3rd setting the next time you turn it on.
They do have 2 lengths, I am fairly certain it is the 120 mm length which worked perfectly for me. As 670cc said, it did require a little bit of trimming on the throttle tube side of the textured nubs in an effort to slide the grip on.
No interference with Barkbusters either.
View attachment 42609
Really insightful input! Thank you @76Hawke

Many thanks @hansonb4. What about the setting before the highest? Not warm enough?
very sufficient. the first two settings were perfect when soaked to the bone and the temp had dropped to 70 degrees and riding 60+

Thank you to everyone for the input.
Looking forward to contributing to the forum

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Riders!

I haven't yet decided on which heated grips to go for (OEM look great, but the price is a deterrent for me) and I'd like to follow-up with a few questions.

I have some reservation on Oxford heated grips' cable / harness on the right (throttle) side, mainly how it hangs / dangles (see below photo for reference to it). Meaning, I am somewhat concerned that it might impede access to the starter switch, not to mention the wear and tear every time the throttle rolls (back & forth).
Does anyone have any opinion (photos would also help) on the Oxford heated grips' cable / harness position when installed and whether this part is sturdy long-term?

Also, does the OEM pair have a similar harness in its design, does anyone know? If anyone can share a photo, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you once again for your insight!

Regards,
J.

Attachments

• Oxford heated grips.jpg
    Oxford heated grips.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 12
Related question (brand new to the forum, thanks for your patience while I catch up, but this is a little pressing!)

I just bought a 2013 nc700x and love it! It came with several add ons, but here is what I need advice on first off...

I have barkbusters and Oxford heated grips. I added a crampbuster and accidentally impinged upon the throttle freedom by using some vinyl plumbers tape to help the crampbuster grip. I overlapped the tape a bit on the piece that secures the outside of the blockbuster on the grip end. I didn't install any of this so I'm not sure if the bar end is a weight or part of the hand guard. At any rate, the Oxford grip on the throttle side lost its adhesive from my twisting it against the tape, and then I had some issues with controlling the throttle yesterday. I tried twice to loosen the screw on the bar end but it barely moves and just spins the bar end. I tried both sides for comparison, and they both just spun, but tightly.

Question: maybe I just need to keep unscrewing? I YouTubed what I could find and it looks like there might be a several inches long screw in there. Hilariously, I got this bike because I have bad tennis elbow from an old Honda wide hand clutch, and now trying to unscrew these screws to re-glue the grip is hurting my darned elbow!

For now, I was able to scrape the .25 inch of exposed throttle plastic back and forth and clean it with some alcohol, and squirted some super glue and re-seated the grip quickly. I rode it later and it was good and tight, with heat on. But I'm worried it won't hold in the long run.

If I can't get that screw out, I can't do a better glue job. I like to work on my own bike but don't want to lose throttle control again. Thanks for any advice or info about what to try next, if anything.

Hello Fellow Riders!

I haven't yet decided on which heated grips to go for (OEM look great, but the price is a deterrent for me) and I'd like to follow-up with a few questions.

I have some reservation on Oxford heated grips' cable / harness on the right (throttle) side, mainly how it hangs / dangles (see below photo for reference to it). Meaning, I am somewhat concerned that it might impede access to the starter switch, not to mention the wear and tear every time the throttle rolls (back & forth).
Does anyone have any opinion (photos would also help) on the Oxford heated grips' cable / harness position when installed and whether this part is sturdy long-term?

Also, does the OEM pair have a similar harness in its design, does anyone know? If anyone can share a photo, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you once again for your insight!

Regards,
J.
I attached two Oxford grip throttle side photos, one with throttle closed, one with it open. I'm not sure how apparent it is in the photo, but the heated grip wire is fine in either throttle position, doesn't interfere with anything, and is not stressed by throttle movement. A successful installation will all depend on how you dress the wiring, regardless of the grip brand.

DD5EC72E-D85D-4A06-85FD-C018FDDF68B6.jpegF9DEDE8C-1563-437E-A285-B328AB69FD01.jpeg

I attached two Oxford grip throttle side photos, one with throttle closed, one with it open. I'm not sure how apparent it is in the photo, but the heated grip wire is fine in either throttle position, doesn't interfere with anything, and is not stressed by throttle movement. A successful installation will all depend on how you dress the wiring, regardless of the grip brand.

View attachment 44882View attachment 44883
Thank you @670cc ! The photos sure help. It is interesting how your grip wire is rolled from the top; most of the installations I have seen have the grip wire at the bottom.
Many thanks for your input once again!

Related question (brand new to the forum, thanks for your patience while I catch up, but this is a little pressing!)

I just bought a 2013 nc700x and love it! It came with several add ons, but here is what I need advice on first off...

I have barkbusters and Oxford heated grips. I added a crampbuster and accidentally impinged upon the throttle freedom by using some vinyl plumbers tape to help the crampbuster grip. I overlapped the tape a bit on the piece that secures the outside of the blockbuster on the grip end. I didn't install any of this so I'm not sure if the bar end is a weight or part of the hand guard. At any rate, the Oxford grip on the throttle side lost its adhesive from my twisting it against the tape, and then I had some issues with controlling the throttle yesterday. I tried twice to loosen the screw on the bar end but it barely moves and just spins the bar end. I tried both sides for comparison, and they both just spun, but tightly.

Question: maybe I just need to keep unscrewing? I YouTubed what I could find and it looks like there might be a several inches long screw in there. Hilariously, I got this bike because I have bad tennis elbow from an old Honda wide hand clutch, and now trying to unscrew these screws to re-glue the grip is hurting my darned elbow!

For now, I was able to scrape the .25 inch of exposed throttle plastic back and forth and clean it with some alcohol, and squirted some super glue and re-seated the grip quickly. I rode it later and it was good and tight, with heat on. But I'm worried it won't hold in the long run.

If I can't get that screw out, I can't do a better glue job. I like to work on my own bike but don't want to lose throttle control again. Thanks for any advice or info about what to try next, if anything.
Hello @Jujulie1969 !
Would it be possible to see any photos for a better reference?

I've had Oxford grips on my 2015 DCT since I bought it in Aug 2015 -- I have had Givi hand guards and now Barkbusters and no interference. Also, no issues with the cable on either the throttle side or left side. Mine come down on the bottom rather than the top as Greg (670cc) shows. I did add some reinforcement tape around that junction of cable-to-grip just as a precaution. Zero issue since I installed them -- I've ridden the bike in the upper 30's (fahrenheit) with winter gloves and was plenty warm. At the high setting, i think you might could cook bacon on the Oxfords.;)

I've had Oxford grips on my 2015 DCT since I bought it in Aug 2015 -- I have had Givi hand guards and now Barkbusters and no interference. Also, no issues with the cable on either the throttle side or left side. Mine come down on the bottom rather than the top as Greg (670cc) shows. I did add some reinforcement tape around that junction of cable-to-grip just as a precaution. Zero issue since I installed them -- I've ridden the bike in the upper 30's (fahrenheit) with winter gloves and was plenty warm. At the high setting, i think you might could cook bacon on the Oxfords.;)
Thank you @GregC!

Back