• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heated Grips + PWM (pulse width modulator) Wiring?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4372
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4372

I decided to try to save some money on a grip heater control. Have Symtec heaters and a gneric PWM from fleabay. PWM has a three wire potentiometer and two leads for output, two for input.
Any tips on the best way to wire these two together?

Very carefully......:eek:

You will need to decide if you want or need to connect ( wire) the grip heaters in series or parallel. The choice of wiring will change the load on the controller.
Likely you will wire them in series if the are 2.1 ohms each and in series the load will be 4.2 ohm. This will depend on the controller rating.
Do not turn the heater on with out heater installed on the bars with the grips installed . They will melt, most have warning of this in the instructions.

As mentioned in many prior posts, the Honda acc harness allows key on off control and proper fuse protection.

Last edited:
I've got the accessory harness ordered and plan to use it for the grip heaters. It's the PWM that has me a smidgen worried.

Sorry guys. Definitely unclear. After scouring ADVRider.com, I found my answer. It was staring me in the face as I compared two schematics. It's easier than I first thought and the el-cheapo PWM should replace the Heat Troller easily and well.
I love the Heat Troller, and have one running the Symtecs on my Wee Strom. I just hate to spend money where I don't have to. The relative low cost of a PWM makes this a no-brainer.
Now to figure out where to put the potentiometer.

Back