• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

heavier spring for 2021 shock

If you mean a spring for the stock shock, I wouldn't bother. It will be hard to source and the OE shock isn't great anyway, Made for longevity rather than performance. YSS are decent and you can get a replacement with a heavier spring (180N/mm) or similar to stock (150N/mm). You can also buy other YSS springs on Ebay if you really want to mess around with it.
I would swap out and sell the OE on Ebay.

Cogent Dynamics sells a decent shock for the NC that is sprung for your weight and riding preferences. Cost is about $700. Like Jeremy said I’d not bother trying to upgrade the OEM shock to save a few hundred dollars. Based on an Ohlins body the Cogent Dynamic shock is quite good on the NC. I couldn't find but one YSS importer in the US that lists the NC700/750 but if one is available I would consider it. I bought YSS suspension for my BMW and am very happy with it. The shocks are sprung for my weight but YSS springs are getting hard to come by according to the suspension shop I worked most recently with (Ted's Beemer Shop - they do list a Tractive brand shock for the 75X0 but not YSS).

Thanks guys for helping to get my head straight. I'm in the process of ordering a shock from www.yssusa.com the US distributor in New Jersey. Might even get the remote preload adjuster. Their pricing is close to what I've seen on eBay from UK and Italian sources and I'd rather buy stateside.

Makingitwork, we're about the same weight and I'm thinking of the heavier spring. 750XStuff on YouTube is also in the 220 lb range and ordered the heavier 180 spring which he found to be to harsh and swapped it out for the stock 150. I don't carry a pillion and rarely go on longer rides where I'd carry 50 lbs of gear. Klaus at YSSUSA is checking the numbers for me and we'll see what he has to say.

Funny, I bought the new Honda because I was tired of working on old bikes (Guzzis) but here we go again!

Thanks again to all for your input!

Happy Hollerdays!

John

Research shows that swapping out coils springs is a thing of the past. The problem with a complete assembly - shock & coil spring you can't select the spring rate and they don't specify the spring rate.

Research shows that swapping out coils springs is a thing of the past. The problem with a complete assembly - shock & coil spring you can't select the spring rate and they don't specify the spring rate.
Mrbios,
True. Closest I came to finding the stock spring rate was on the Progressive Suspension website. My best guess from their numbers was that the stock springs were set up for a 160 - 170 lb. rider. I haven't weighed 160 lbs. since I finished the San Francisco Marathon in 1978.

I've replaced the shock with a YSS unit and the fork springs with HyperPro. Both from EPM Performance in NJ.
I gave them my riding weight and they selected the spring rates. A definite improvement.

Cheers!

Thanks for the update and info. Upon doing more research the coils can be swapped out but the bottom coil seat needs to to either be replaced or have something added to keep a larger more common diameter spring centered. The spring Honda choose has an ID of 2" and most aftermarket coil springs used on cars and known as Coil-overs (Coil Spring Over the shock absorber) start with an ID of 2.25 and even more common is and ID of 2.50". The second part that is odd is 9.5" length where 9 or 10" is common. But it is really the adapter for the inner diameter that matters the most as 9" or 10" will work.

One takeaway from my research is that people are doing everything imaginable in the way of suspension modifications - mostly coilovers for the street and off-road and the only class of vehicles that gets left out is regular motorcycles (except for limited offerings for sport bikes). Here we find ourselves with a great all-around bike the NCX series that really could use suspension that can handle a lot of worn-out pavement.

See complete post with pictures and my measurements of the shock:

Thanks for the update and info. Upon doing more research the coils can be swapped out but the bottom coil seat needs to to either be replaced or have something added to keep a larger more common diameter spring centered. The spring Honda choose has an ID of 2" and most aftermarket coil springs used on cars and known as Coil-overs (Coil Spring Over the shock absorber) start with an ID of 2.25 and even more common is and ID of 2.50". The second part that is odd is 9.5" length where 9 or 10" is common. But it is really the adapter for the inner diameter that matters the most as 9" or 10" will work.

One takeaway from my research is that people are doing everything imaginable in the way of suspension modifications - mostly coilovers for the street and off-road and the only class of vehicles that gets left out is regular motorcycles (except for limited offerings for sport bikes). Here we find ourselves with a great all-around bike the NCX series that really could use suspension that can handle a lot of worn-out pavement.

See complete post with pictures and my measurements of the shock:
Mrbios, link appears to be broken

Back