• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heavy backpack - question to regular commuters

and empty the tray ways nothing but is super tough ..the pack in the other photo on the seat just lifts up as its attached to the top of the tray so swivels up for easy refueling . easy to pack lots more on too!
099.jpg

and empty the tray ways nothing but is super tough ..the pack in the other photo on the seat just lifts up as its attached to the top of the tray so swivels up for easy refueling . easy to pack lots more on too!
View attachment 25792

Nice job kharli. I really appreciate the creativity. Sometimes we just over complicate things :)

Thanks for all the responses and sorry I didn't respond earlier - the weekend was quite a journey, but that's another story (see NC Photo Gallore and Fuelly topics ;) ).

During weekend, I've tested my transport net while strapping my backpack to passenger seat and going for a little trip.
While the backpack only had few items in it, I found it to be a very nice solution for those rides where I just need to carry basic stuff. Initially, it was a little weird as I simply got used to wearing a backpack the whole time, but I appreciated back-free experience very quickly. Especially on my way back, when it was dark, and my bright-color jacket was seen from far (no cars were getting close to me and were switching lanes to overtake soon!).

Also, I had my book back from my dad (which is quite a heavy one! the book, of course :p) so I tested the net with a little more weight - still no problem.
This made me think that actually the net may be just enough to drive to work without carrying all the weight on my back, will have to make some careful tests. When the rain stops. I really liked the idea of getting the top box mounting plate first and strapping stuff onto it, if net turns out to be insufficient - that seem to me the way to go :)

Still, that's a short-term solution, I definitely want Honda's luggage system as it just looks lovely on NC S. Plus, I can use the same key to open it so that's an added feature.
Thanks for sharing all your experience!

Your backpack has adjustable straps?? If so, just lay the backpack on the pillion seat and attach the straps to the grab rails, tighten down, and wahla, done, the pack isn't going anywhere (you may have to undo the straps-run them around the grab rails and reattach the straps to their connectors).

Thanks for all the responses and sorry I didn't respond earlier - the weekend was quite a journey, but that's another story (see NC Photo Gallore and Fuelly topics ;) ).

During weekend, I've tested my transport net while strapping my backpack to passenger seat and going for a little trip.
While the backpack only had few items in it, I found it to be a very nice solution for those rides where I just need to carry basic stuff. Initially, it was a little weird as I simply got used to wearing a backpack the whole time, but I appreciated back-free experience very quickly. Especially on my way back, when it was dark, and my bright-color jacket was seen from far (no cars were getting close to me and were switching lanes to overtake soon!).

Also, I had my book back from my dad (which is quite a heavy one! the book, of course :p) so I tested the net with a little more weight - still no problem.
This made me think that actually the net may be just enough to drive to work without carrying all the weight on my back, will have to make some careful tests. When the rain stops. I really liked the idea of getting the top box mounting plate first and strapping stuff onto it, if net turns out to be insufficient - that seem to me the way to go :)

Still, that's a short-term solution, I definitely want Honda's luggage system as it just looks lovely on NC S. Plus, I can use the same key to open it so that's an added feature.
Thanks for sharing all your experience!

Good to hear it's at least a temporary solution that works for you :)

I still would strongly recommend adding one or two back up straps to keep the pack from possibly sliding off to the right or left. You can leave the webbing loops attached to the backpack permanently, or leave them on the bike if you don't mind the look or worry about someone stealing them.

I had a bag strapped to my rear seat with only a cargo net once, and it slid off to the right, and partially down onto the muffler- melting a hole in it :(

All it takes is some webbing and two fastex buckles, or one of those friction style buckles. That way you can be sure it's all safe, and secured against unwanted sliding around. Quick to do up and remove. ;)

srbs-2-fnw-350x250.jpg

cat%20strap%20adjuster.jpg

I also had to get rid of the backpack. In sunny and humid Florida it made me get to work in the morning with my back drenched in sweat. For my trip to Key West I had already added to my NC the SW Motech AluRack. My computer stays in the office most of the time (unless traveling or telework) so for my daily commute I only carry small stuff and my lunch box. My lunch goes in the frunk.

For fathers day my wife and son got me an ION 2 tank bag that fits my daily travel necessities (notebook, Ipad, and some other odds). My boy fit a bottom tankring to the Alurack to which I attach the bag. When I get to the office walk in with my tankbag as a briefcase. No more sweaty back.

My gripe is with SW Motech. The Ion2 tank bag is their product, as well as the AluRack. However, we had to fabricate a kydex mounting plate to make the tankring fit the Alurack because they're not compatible.

ION_2.jpg
ION2.jpg

I also had to get rid of the backpack. In sunny and humid Florida it made me get to work in the morning with my back drenched in sweat.

hahaha, aside from a heavy pack just making me uncomfortable weight-wise, the thing I hated most was the sweaty back syndrome.

All the backs of my shirts would have the exact shape of the armour inside my jacket/s outlined in sweat, with perfect dry spots where all the holes were perforated through the padding, lol lol

sweat stain.png

lol L.B.S I just loosen the straps a bit so the weight sits on the rear seat ,not possible with little packs though. In cold winter a tight pack makes my back the only warm spot if I havnt got my heated jacket !

lol L.B.S I just loosen the straps a bit so the weight sits on the rear seat ,not possible with little packs though. In cold winter a tight pack makes my back the only warm spot if I havnt got my heated jacket !

For me, heavy back packs are pretty much all long since, and in the past tense ;)

I don't use my NCX for commuting, and I don't need a backpack when I am using it, due to the lovely frunk, large real estate available for rear seat loading, and more room than I know what to do with, available via my Trax aluminum panniers and top box :D

My daily commuter and general run about, is my '07 CBR125R, which is decidedly lacking in real estate lol. I have a wee magnetic tank bag, and use my back pack just for the smallest and lightest of stuff nowadays. The clip ons put me quite a bit further leaned forward, so any real benefit of loosening the straps so that the pack rests on the passenger seat, would be lost 'cause they would have to be virtually undone :eek:

The rear seat on the CBR is the size of a postage stamp, and I have a slippery plastic cowl that covers it anyway, so I just limit myself to what I carry, and live with it. :)

For those of you that carry food in the rack mounted box.....or laptops for that matter.
My experience with a box on a rack was that everything in it was shaken violently. And pounded flat.

I once had a whole flat of strawberries on the back rack and 30 miles home reduced each basket to half full and strawberry juice and mush all over the rear end.

Maybe it was bad shocks. It was a Honda. :eek:

And that tail box from Amazon for only 30 bucks. Wow. The Givi is like 250 right??? It better be lots and lots gooder.

Last edited:
Never carried food like strawberries in the topbox. When empty the topbox does buzz and rattle. As for laptops, as long as it is some kind of bag to keep it from banging on a hard surface then it is fine. Laptops are tough as long as they are closed and nothing is bouncing on top of it. They have 2 main week points. The disk drive and the screen. The disk drive can handle a lot as long as it is powered down. The screen is vulnerable to pressure from the outside (don't step on a closed laptop and don't let an animal step on it). A good laptop bag is stiff and padded around the compartment for the laptop.

Never carried food like strawberries in the topbox. When empty the topbox does buzz and rattle. As for laptops, as long as it is some kind of bag to keep it from banging on a hard surface then it is fine. Laptops are tough as long as they are closed and nothing is bouncing on top of it. They have 2 main week points. The disk drive and the screen. The disk drive can handle a lot as long as it is powered down. The screen is vulnerable to pressure from the outside (don't step on a closed laptop and don't let an animal step on it). A good laptop bag is stiff and padded around the compartment for the laptop.

Heh. if you did you would have strawberry jam. Heh.

I get how laptops are and all but I just see a lot of Gs going on back there.

heh my daily runabout is the cbf 125 ,cant believe it hasn't blown up with all the two up flat out riding I do on it . The nc is cheep to run but the costs on my cbf seem non existent by comparison, just have been the oil changes and one new rear tyre after near 14000 miles . Runs better than ever too but the brakes are so sharp I'm thinking of a wee dab of wd40 on them as the wheels lock up so easily on the pretty crap tyres ..I did a sixty foot slider the other day on a slightly damp muddy farm entrance after an escaped cow ran into the road ..only didn't hit it cos it jumped out the way at the last moment ..was only doing about 35..40mph but I hardly lost 5mph on the mud as I feathered the rear brake inbetween slides ..touching the front brake in those conditions is an instant off.
Back to luggage ,,it is possible to put a huge load on the 125 but its hardly relaxing with no weight on the front !

Maybe redundant, but I love the Honda top box/Frunk combination. I use both just about every time I ride. Sometimes add a backpack too. Wish I'd documented all the stuff I've hauled. Boss asked me to pick up a large case of tee shirts the other day. No problem! I got to leave work and take a ride!

If it doesn't fit in the top box, just Frunk it!

p.s., just saw a cool Ducati Hypermotard parked on the street. Helmet sitting on the pavement underneath the bike.

Back