• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Hello all, Any advice on the matter, "best" octane 85 thru 94? .... 2012 NC700X, only mods Delkelvic end pipe and K&N air filter. Thanks :)

DWG

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, Any advice on the matter, "best" octane 85 thru 94? .... 2012 NC700X, only mods Delkelvic end pipe and K&N air filter. Thanks :)

Hello all, Any advice on the matter, "best" octane 85 thru 94? .... 2012 NC700X, only mods Delkelvic end pipe and K&N air filter. Thanks :)
Follow your owner’s manual’s recommendation, which is for Pump Octane Number (R+M/2) 86 or higher. This is for the rating system used in the United States. Other countries may use different octane rating systems, and the numbers will vary. Your pipe and air filter should make no difference. Air flow though the engine is likely to be primarily restricted by the cylinder head design.

Those riding in higher elevations may get by with 85 PON, but Honda makes no specific recommendation on that matter.

If you want to spend more for a higher octane fuel, you are free to do so as it will do no harm.

Last edited:
Higher octane fuels are for higher compression engines.
Direct from wikipedia
"octane number, is a standard measure of a fuel's ability to withstand compression in an internal combustion engine without detonating. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating. Octane rating does not relate directly to the power output or the energy content of the fuel per unit mass or volume, but simply indicates gasoline's capability against compression."

I agree, just use 87 (R+M)/2 octane in US, 10% ethanol (E10) is fine. Ethanol-free is maybe a little better for long-term storage, but not better for regular use, and often quite a bit more expensive.

Higher octane will not hurt anything, but does nothing for performance. I even saw a study that indicates that passenger cars (e.g. Honda Civic) will get very slightly worse (but statistically significant) fuel economy on higher octane fuels. YMMV

Never use E15 (sometimes labelled "88 octane"), the fuel system is not designed for it. Consequences are... unknown, but why risk it? And finally, be aware that in some European countries, an octane rating of 91 RON is the same as 87 (R+M)/2

I think for winter storage next year, I may try putting in Swift UL94 unleaded aviation fuel :) That stuff is great ;)

Confused yet?

Never use E15 (sometimes labelled "88 octane"), the fuel system is not designed for it. Consequences are... unknown, but why risk it?
I did use a tank of E15 this summer while travelling in the US. I hadn't seen that before (I live in Canada) and put it in by mistake. I didn't realize that the second nozzle on the pump was only for E15. Anyhow, the engine survived without any apparent issues.

87 octane in the USA.
Ethanol-free if you can afford/justify the cost, as it is better for regular use and is very likely what Honda based the fuel maps on.

85 octane was made for carburetors to compensate for higher elevation effects. Not reccomended for modern FI systems. Will it run; sure.

85 octane was made for carburetors to compensate for higher elevation effects. Not reccomended for modern FI systems.
That’s the first time I’ve heard that one. Can you explain why? Funny how all those people I noticed using 85 in their FI cars in Colorado were unaware.

I understood that 85 wasn’t made to compensate for anything. It simply is a high enough octane rating for operating typical automotive engines in thinner air, and can be offered at a lower cost. Modern FI engines are, in general, better equipped to compensate for variables in temperature, barometric pressure, etc, than those with carburetors. Knocking is not just about the fuel-air mixture, but also about the engine’s compression ratio, heat management, cylinder head design, etc.

Nah, 85 AKI was made simply because at higher elevation a lower AKI is all that's needed. Fuel injection can't do anything at all to compensate for the lack of atmosphere and pressure.

That’s the first time I’ve heard that one. Can you explain why? Funny how all those people I noticed using 85 in their FI cars in Colorado were unaware.

I understood that 85 wasn’t made to compensate for anything. It simply is a high enough octane rating for operating typical automotive engines in thinner air, and can be offered at a lower cost. Modern FI engines are, in general, better equipped to compensate for variables in temperature, barometric pressure, etc, than those with carburetors. Knocking is not just about the fuel-air mixture, but also about the engine’s compression ratio, heat management, cylinder head design, etc.
Yes, but run a search on "the history of 85 octane fuel".

Careful with the "everyone does it, it must be right" mind hack. Do you really think that they buy 85 octane for any other reason than it is the cheapest, regardless of if it voids their warranty?

Yes, but run a search on "the history of 85 octane fuel".

Careful with the "everyone does it, it must be right" mind hack. Do you really think that they buy 85 octane for any other reason than it is the cheapest, regardless of if it voids their warranty?
I was asking in post #11 if you could explain why 85 octane gasoline was made for carburetors but not recommended for modern FI systems, as you had stated. I wasn’t looking to be redirected and assigned the task of researching the topic.

Reactions: MZ5
I think a lot of people believe higher octane gas is "better" gas ... not realizing it just relates to the type of fuel needed for high compression engines (to prevent premature detonation of the gas). I've only use 87 on my 2015 here in the States with zero issues. I generally use up to 10% ethanol gas as well since that's the most prevalent kind, and no ethanol gas is substantially more expensive.

I was asking in post #11 if you could explain why 85 octane gasoline was made for carburetors but not recommended for modern FI systems, as you had stated. I wasn’t looking to be redirected and assigned the task of researching the topic.
Yet that is where you find yourself. I'm not going to try to convince you w/ back & forth when you can read and arrive at an informed decision of your own.

Yet that is where you find yourself. I'm not going to try to convince you w/ back & forth when you can read and arrive at an informed decision of your own.
I've seen this routine before. Someone makes a statement, but can't back it up with facts or an explanation, rather they take the deflection route or easy route and say to just go read about it. Well, I have, and I disagree with your statement about 85 octane. Conversation over.

I've seen this routine before. Someone makes a statement, but can't back it up with facts or an explanation, rather they take the deflection route or easy route and say to just go read about it. Well, I have, and I disagree with your statement about 85 octane. Conversation over.
Well, that would be your routine. Typical. Suspect you did look it up and found the gov't report ref origin of the use of 85; didn't support your opinion. Can't support your opinion, so Twitter logic of everyone does it so it must be right. As expected. Conversation over.

Well now fellow NC riders. I run 87 octane but was wondering if I fill up with ethanol free gas for winter storage would that be good enough or would I still need to add fuel stabilizer? I have already put stabilizer in but the weather keeps getting nice for a day here and there so I have used that all up. So the last few tanks I have put in ethanol free gas as up here in Canada you never know what the next day’s weather will be. Have any others just stored their bikes with ethanol free gas???

Back