• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from a new 2016 owner

ttttrigg3r

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone on the forum. Tuan from Socal here. 3rd year rider.
Just bought a 2016 model, and here's my story.
I'm riding my beginner 2013 CBR500R on the freeway when a cylinder gives out. Shop says it's the fuel injector, and at 35k miles I think it's time to sell that bike and move up. I wanted a bigger economical bike, and the NC700 seems perfect. So I found a 2016 model with a lot of accessories .(Honda top case, hard panniers, belly pan, engine cage, risers, and more that I can't identify what they do) I got my friend to drive me 35 miles up to get the bike. I got there, hopped on the bike, reached for the clutch and grabbed a handful of nothing. No clutch. Turns out it's an automatic. The value seems good enough, and at that point, it's not like I'm not gonna buy the bike and make my friend drive me all the way back home. I bought the darn thing and took it home. SOOOO weird driving an automatic. Felt like I was gonna stall every time I bring it to a stop or make a U-turn.

I'm coming from riding a CBR500R and CBR600F4i, so the new system feels very different and out of the box. Anyone here made the jump to an automatic? Do you think I'll get used to it? Does it get boring after a while or you just kind of not notice it anymore?

Welcome to the forum.

Some people riding the automatic were new riders or came from a CVT scooter, and have never ridden a manual. Some are long time manual riders now riding an automatic. Some think the automatic is the best thing to happen to motorcycles. Some have tried the automatic and prefer the manual. I’ve tried the automatic many times and I don’t really care either way, so I stay with the manual because I have more control of the machine. Only you could answer the question as to how you’ll like the automatic. Give it some time and see what you think. My guess is you will get accustomed to it, and if you don’t get frustrated with the shift points or the lack of clutch control, you’ll learn to like it. The technology is pretty good and it’s reliable. The Honda DCT automatic is now an option on the U.S. models NC700X/NC750X, CTX700, CRF1000L Africa Twin, VRF1200X, NM4, and the 2018 GL1800 Goldwing.

Take the time to learn the DCT operation, because you can chose different ride modes, including manual operation, and you can override the automatic shifting on the fly within certain limitations.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Had my license all of three months before I bought my 2016. I took riding classes where they taught us clutch control on very small bikes. I'm a tall guy so when I went researching bikes, I found that very few bikes fit me comfortably. The NC700X was the cheapest of the bunch but my research also said that it was one of the most reliable and gas economical. When I went to a bike show and sat on one connected to a treadmill so I could try it out the DCT, I fell in love and had to have one.

Yes, it took me a while to get used to not grabbing a clutch but not having to find neutral at a stop light was the best. Some people insist on manually changing the gears but as a newbie I liked being able to concentrate on the ride instead of counting where I was on the foot shifter. I've ridden a couple of manual bikes since buying mine a year ago and I prefer "twist and go" rather than "kick, kick, sputter, clutch, kick, roll" any day.

Techrat

Look at it another way. I currently own 3 bikes, two manual and the 750 XD I ride every week day to commute.

When over the weekend I decide to ride a manual I almost stall at the first stop, and I keep wondering why I have to fiddle with lever and selector. And look at which gear I am in.

Now when riding sporty with the Street I do appreciate manual, mostly for precise gear control and because I have a shifter. But this is 5% of my riding and even there a dual clutch and up / down buttons would do the trick.

Look at sport cars, most are sequential nowadays with paddles for shifting.

Honda is just ahead :D

Welcome! You will find this a friendly forum.
In fact, people who have sold their NC700 often stay around.

Almost all of us like to add stuff, which we call farkling.
It is a good idea to ask here before buying add ones, as some work and some don’t, just like any bike.
This video is my list, but it is no longer complete.

Honda NC700x DCT Additions and modifications. Oklahoma Hank. - YouTube

Last edited:
Welcome and yeah what Hank said is true lots of friendly help and experienced advice

Welcome to the forum.

I've had many manual transmission bikes and cars in nearly 50 years of riding including a manual 2012 NC700X. I bought a DCT NC700X in 2015 and I really like it. It does take a period of acclimation but soon it will feel second nature. To handle U turns and slow maneuvers learn to use the rear brake to modulate power to the rear wheel similar to using the friction zone of a clutch. I prefer the DCT to a manual with the NC as IMHO the power output and character of the engine is well matched to the DCT box.

Hey is it just me, or does it seems like the DCT "lugs" sometimes. meaning it kicks into higher gears too early. At 35mph, I'm already in 5th gear, sometimes 6th. When I ride, the engine seems to be rumbling and chuckling on. I'm always in the lower RPMS.

Hey is it just me, or does it seems like the DCT "lugs" sometimes. meaning it kicks into higher gears too early. At 35mph, I'm already in 5th gear, sometimes 6th. When I ride, the engine seems to be rumbling and chuckling on. I'm always in the lower RPMS.

Its not just you. In D mode and light throttle, it will shift to 6th at about 39 mph / 2000 RPM. The engine can pulse at that RPM under load. Some 670 engines shake more than others. I’ve test ridden some that shook badly, and others that were smoother. I own two NCs and one is smoother than the other at 2000 RPM. Same model year and less than 200 serial numbers apart.

If it’s annoying, switch to S mode or just do manual mode paddle shifting.

Last edited:
I am going to agree with ddueiln and 670cc. This engine was built for the DCT. I use the manual mode most of the time. You will get used to the feel of this powertrain. Happy riding and stay safe.

Thanks all. Let me get some more noobie questions out of the way.
I'm having an incredibly hard time using the center stand. I've watched the videos, read about the techniques and all that. Any tips? Where do you grab in the back to lift up? I hear people say grab the passenger's footpeg, but that thing folds in.

I'm having an incredibly hard time using the center stand. I've watched the videos, read about the techniques and all that. Any tips? Where do you grab in the back to lift up? I hear people say grab the passenger's footpeg, but that thing folds in.

Well as you’ve probably read, it’s more about pushing down on the stand with your weight than about lifting. The passenger bar is the handle to use, but it is admittedly too high. A handle mounted lower would work better, if there was one.

Focus on pushing the stand down with your weight, using the stand pedal as a lever. Use the grab bar to guide the bike rearward, rather than lifting.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new bike.

Lots of folks here love the DCT and frankly given how well people say it works i don't doubt that the market share of bike with this technology continues to grow rapidly. Just look at most of the cars and trucks on the road today. Many people don't know how to drive a manual transmission and it may get that way too with motorcycles soon enough. I wouldn't so much be as much concerned with the the DCT as I would be that the NC is peppy enough for your liking.

Yes, put all your weight on the stand lever and do not attempt to lift the bike with your hands, just guide it backward. Also try to do this in a continuous an smooth motion. If you fail, just step back and try again, trying to use sheer muscle to complete the lift if a bad idea.

You say you have hard panniers and top box. That means that bolted to the rear of the passenger footpeg plate, you must have a bracket of the pannier rack bolted on?

This is an excellent "handle" to pull up as you stand on the center stand lever. It's more technique than strength.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, let me know and I'll post a picture.

Back