• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from L.A. Lower Alabama!

Johnboyrtw

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, my name is Johnboy, 64, retired. Just got back into riding and want to get either a nc750x dct or nc700x dct or the new 2019 cb500x. Will be ridng mostly 50% country roads ,25% dirt/gravel, and 25% interstate.
Would love to get any advise on which bike to get. My experience has only been with a klr 250 offroad only and some small cc and scooters around town and country roads. I am actively in the market and if anyone knows of any good deals please let me know.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you eventually get a bike that works for you.

One thing worth pointing out is that even though the models you mention are described by Honda as being Adventure “styled”, they are just basically street bikes. For off highway, gravel or smooth dirt roads are no problem, but they are a far cry from a true dirt bike or even a dual sport. The new 2019 500 is ever so slightly more dual sport/adventure oriented than before, what with the new 19 inch front wheel, if that’s important to you.

Comparing the 500 to the 700/750, the power output isn’t much different, but the character of the engines are different. The 500 is not as “long” in ergonomics, meaning the rider triangle is a little more compact on the 500, and the seat is more comfortable. The big advantage on the 700/750 is the front storage compartment, which we call the frunk. The low rev-ing 700/750 engine feels more relaxed.

As for deals, you might check with the Brookhaven, Mississippi or the Russellville, Arkansas Honda “Powerhouse” dealers. I have seen good pricing with no add-on fees at Russellville, and they may even be able to grab some old stock for you out of a Honda warehouse.

As mentioned above, check the for-sale section of this forum. I have one for sale :)

Last edited:
Welcome from MA (Middle Alabama)! How’s the heat down there!? Try both bikes - they’ll both be up to the tasks but are quite different in some features and handling characteristics. Let us know what you land on! And enjoy the ride!

Welcome from N.A.! North Alabama! The DCT sure is a sweet option to have if you end up opting for either the 700 or 750.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Welcome from Florida’s First Coast. I ride across L.A. quite often. Malone, Black, Wing, Conecuh NF, Brewton, Stockton.

The NC700X/750X has a lot to offer and I’m glad you are here.

I found it funny to discover how the motorcycle communities debate bike definitions (such as “dual-sport” and “adventure“) so fiercely. Heck, I was listening to one RevZilla podcast about small bike popularity and they spent half the show arguing what a “small bike” was!

Me, I’m just trying to nail down what I want/need as far as my two-wheeled travels go, then I’ll attempt to be sure the limitations on my wants/needs are me, not the bike I choose. I don’t care about the arbitrary category labels. Since I’m a natural born dork where physical activities are concerned, it doesn’t take all that much of a performer, dirt or street, to surpass anything I’ll ever be doing. So really, it’s more down to what machine sings to my soul... or something like that. :p

Good luck on your own choice, Johnboy. I think all the ones you’re considering are good.

Welcome Johnboy.

I don't know much about the 500X but I've heard good things about it. I don't believe the DCT is an option though.

I have a 2018 NC750X with the DCT and I'm thrilled with it. The low center of gravity makes it feel lighter than it is, so it's an easy bike to ride with confidence. I do mostly back road type of stuff but finally got it kitted out to do some long trips. (panniers, new seat, freeway pegs, heated grips, etc). My only "long trip" was about 700 miles and I was very pleased with it, can't wait to start piling on the miles. I watched a YouTube vlog the other day and this guy has a 2015 DCT with 160,000 kilometers on it. Most of his riding is all around Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and around there. He says it's been brilliant. Very reliable, the DCT has been flawless. (I have 2,400 miles on mine, so I have some catching up to do. Don't hold your breath...)

I have no experience off road with it but enough people on the forum do and with the right tires, it seems to be okay on the tamer stuff. It's not intended to be that bike, but if most of your riding is back roads and freeways, you'll love the NC. And the DCT. And the frunk!

I think most people will agree that it's good at just about everything. Not excellent, but really good. It's a very popular bike in Europe so there's a lot of aftermarket accessories available too, and it's a Honda, so it's about as reliable as it gets.

Good luck with your decision, and if you get the NC, report back with your thoughts and experiences.

Hello John welcome to the forum! I own a nc750x 2018 manual version and I can attest to saying it's the best dual purpose bike I've ever owned. I can comfortably tour on it and I've taken it to some gnarly off road without dropping it yet. The engine characteristics puts all the power in the low rpm range so it feels almost tractor like with it's power delivery. It reminds me dearly of my old xr650L with how it delivers power off road but my vtx 1800c with how smooth the engine is on road. I highly recommend the 750 if you can get a good deal on it because of the LED lights, upgraded dash and extra counter balancer on the crankshaft. The cb500x would be a better bike if you planned to go more off-road and maybe only could own one bike, but the NC is more than capable at everything I've asked it to do. Cheers!

Where do you ride at? Hello from you neighbor in North West Louisiana. I speed all my time either riding in East Texas and Southwest Arkansas

Normally, just around where I live on the backroads. I ride to and from work the most. Sometimes I'll ride to the neighboring cities 30-45 minutes away.

Back