• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from Portland, OR

KDRob

Reaction score
Visit site
So, this just happened...
IMG_40961.jpg

New rider, first bike. 2014 NC700X, used but well maintained. Just rode it home from the dealership. And now I'll probably go back out and hit the streets for some more time on it since the weather's actually good at the moment (*gasp*).

Don't ask about the scratches on the muffler and right hand-grip. Someone, who shall remain nameless, low-sided the bike, pulling out of the dealership (off-camber right turn, uneven surface, some gravel, and a little too much throttle). Nothing hurt but my pride and a snapped brake lever, which they replaced right away for me (at no charge). At I got that out of my system early. No additional nerves and the 10 mile ride home after that was nice and smooth, other than one stall at an intersection (and if you were the car behind me, sorry!).

Happy to be here, and even happier to finally have a bike.

Kyle

Welcome! Now go spend more money on endless amount of bike accessories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle - give me a shout. Live in Milwaukie. Happy to help...been riding for 40 years so I may have a pointer or two!

I'll PM my phone number. Welcome to the Best NC700 group on the planet...

Congrats! Now go find an empty car park and practice low speed maneuvers! Can never do this enough! Every spring after taking a few months off from riding I do it. Just had me and my daughter doing weaves, 8's, circles, stop/start turns etc. So often it's the starting/moving slow turns that get us! Every other month or so when we take our weekend rides we'll run the same drills again for 15-30 minutes. Really useful practice. Looks like you at least had some decent gear on, which is good. Much better than riding in street clothes!

Congrats! Now go find an empty car park and practice low speed maneuvers! Can never do this enough! Every spring after taking a few months off from riding I do it. Just had me and my daughter doing weaves, 8's, circles, stop/start turns etc. So often it's the starting/moving slow turns that get us! Every other month or so when we take our weekend rides we'll run the same drills again for 15-30 minutes. Really useful practice. Looks like you at least had some decent gear on, which is good. Much better than riding in street clothes!

Yes and good to practice starting on a hill, where it's a combination of clutch, gas and brake to keep from rolling backwards. Better to practice without the pressure of impatient cagers on your @ss. Click here for more.

Not full ATGATT, yet, but getting there. Helmet, jacket, and gloves at the moment. Steel-toed Doc Martens and jeans (I know, I know) until the next paycheck comes through, then pants and riding boots.
Good call on the low-speed maneuvers. Went out for a nice ride yesterday (40 miler), hit everything but highway/freeway. Felt great. Hill starts weren't a problem for me, having learned to drive a manual transmission, I'm already used to the whole brake/gas/clutch thing. Felt easier on my bike since I can use the rear brake and concentrate on throttle on the right hand and clutch on the left. The thing I need to work on most, I found, are those right turns from a stop at an intersection. I'm not turning in sharp enough, or found I was rolling on accidentally during the handlebar movement. Practice, practice, practice...

Not full ATGATT, yet, but getting there. Helmet, jacket, and gloves at the moment. Steel-toed Doc Martens and jeans (I know, I know) until the next paycheck comes through, then pants and riding boots.
Good call on the low-speed maneuvers. Went out for a nice ride yesterday (40 miler), hit everything but highway/freeway. Felt great. Hill starts weren't a problem for me, having learned to drive a manual transmission, I'm already used to the whole brake/gas/clutch thing. Felt easier on my bike since I can use the rear brake and concentrate on throttle on the right hand and clutch on the left. The thing I need to work on most, I found, are those right turns from a stop at an intersection. I'm not turning in sharp enough, or found I was rolling on accidentally during the handlebar movement. Practice, practice, practice...

Try putting your weight on the foot pegs, you don't have to lift your butt from the seat just bare down on the pegs putting most of your body weight down there, this lowers the center of gravity and makes throwing the bike left and right easier.

Hello and welcome from Beaverton....were you by any chance riding in the Cornelius pass/cornell/185th rd area yesterday...I thought I spotted some riding a black nc with a jacket similar to yours.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome from Beaverton....were you by any chance riding in the Cornelius pass/cornell/185th rd area yesterday...I thought I spotted some riding a black nc with a jacket similar to yours.

I was! I'm actually in the Cedar Hills area, over by Commonwealth lake. Technically, my address is still in PDX vs. Beaverton.
I made a loop from my place out Butner to Murray, over 26 and down past Sunset HS, then up and over 143rd to West Union, down 185th to Farminton, popped down to Barbur and down into John's Landing. Back into downtown PDX via the south waterfront area, over to Burnside, and back home. A nice ~40 mile trip. Not bad for my first 24 hours of riding... (other than the Team Oregon classes)

Add me to the list of Portland area riders. Been riding mine since 2012 as I got the first one delivered to Oregon. . . . :) A quartet of NC700 riders would make quite a sight around here. Totally willing to be included should this get planned.

Add me to the list of Portland area riders. Been riding mine since 2012 as I got the first one delivered to Oregon. . . . :) A quartet of NC700 riders would make quite a sight around here. Totally willing to be included should this get planned.

No problem - we may be looking at something later this month, but are waiting for better weather. I am a fair weather rider - for pleasure only...

Back