• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello NC700X forum!

backwards1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. Just picked up $3500 2012 NC700X w/ 18k miles this last week. I was always intrigued by this NC700X when it first came out. I was riding a 2008 Kawasaki Concours14 at the time. I sold my Connie 4 years ago with a big part for the safety side of things. Bought a 2008 Miata NC as a alternate 2 seater option to take the wife and kids(1 at a time of course). Well with the current good times with gas prices I thought what better reason to get 2 wheels again and find a very budget focused early year NC700X. Figure the gas could get much worse in the Pacific Northwest area so thought maybe buy something now before the typical riding season and before possible more gas price hikes. Recoup some of the overall cost with gas savings and if it gets really bad maybe it would pay for itself vs the low MPG vehicles we drive. I like the idea of a vehicle that can get 60+ mpg.

Seller had it sitting a while these last few years but always garaged. He just had it serviced a few weeks ago with fresh Pilot Powers 2CT (odd choice I know), New battery , Oil change, chain service and fuel service (drain & fill). Has a little under 19k miles and he gave me all the receipts from day 1 with full dealer service every 4k miles. I have nothing to compare it too so I might be posting a few is this normal threads with a video or photo.

Any suggestions on what other areas to check or do compared to my list below?
- OEM oil change , air filter, spark plugs, coolant drain & fill 2x ( is 1 gallon Honda auto the same as MC coolant? )
- Bleed the brakes
- Valve check
- Rear hugger addition and front fender extension
- Radiator cover
- Oxford heated grips / Barkbusters
- Maybe a better windscreen but coming from the fully faired Concours14 w/ Vstream I kinda like the direct wind vs turbulence of a bigger windscreen
- FRUNK lock service/fix/replacement as it works but is a bit sketchy. I have to press down on the lid and be gentle with the key as the original owner gave me a snapped 2nd key with a Honda blank. (already had 3 keys cut as back ups)

Well from the Ninja 250, Honda 919 and Concours 14 forums to now the NC700 forums I look forward to reading up here and getting caught up on what you all have learned over these last 10yrs this interesting bike has been around.

Attachments

• 6226baeed84f1c480e7af183.jpg
    6226baeed84f1c480e7af183.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Honda Type 2 coolant in a gallon jug from a Honda automotive dealer is the same coolant that the 2012 NC calls for.

The stock spark plugs are iridium type. I know Honda recommends changing them at some ridiculously short interval. A member of the forum just pulled his original NGK plugs at around 60,000 miles and there was no measured electrode wear. I still have my original 2012 NC plugs installed with 58,000 miles. I’m not saying you shouldn’t change your plugs if you want to, but assuming they are the original NGK iridium plugs, they should last a long time.

If a dealer was servicing the bike every 4k miles they should have performed a valve clearance check in there somewhere. If not, you’ll want to do it.

Nowhere in your post did you mention brake fluid. Find out when new fluid was last bled through. If never, change the brake fluid pronto. Also, while not as critical or urgent as brake fluid, consider changing the fork oil some time in the future.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Honda Type 2 coolant in a gallon jug from a Honda automotive dealer is the same coolant that the 2012 NC calls for.

The stock spark plugs are iridium type. I know Honda recommends changing them at some ridiculously short interval. A member of the forum just pulled his original NGK plugs at around 60,000 miles and there was no measured electrode wear. I still have my original 2012 NC plugs installed with 58,000 miles. I’m not saying you shouldn’t change your plugs if you want to, but assuming they are the original NGK iridium plugs, they should last a long time.

If a dealer was servicing the bike every 4k miles they should have performed a valve clearance check in there somewhere. If not, you’ll want to do it.

Nowhere in your post did you mention brake fluid. Find out when new fluid was last bled through. If never, change the brake fluid pronto. Also, while not as critical or urgent as brake fluid, consider changing the fork oil some time in the future.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks I just remembered the brakes is something that was on my list and forgot to mention it. I actually updated my thread before seeing all that you wrote. I still have a old but sealed bottle of DOT4 ready for this bleed. Thanks for the response and information.

Last edited:
Yep, I am the one who pulled my OEM plugs at approx 65,000 miles....No measurable wear on the iridium plugs. I have checked my valves every 16,000 miles since I purchased it (the first 2 were at 8000 miles) and my valves have not needed adjustment (in middle of spec-no, but in specs-yes). I am embarrassed in stating I waited until 65,000 miles to change the air filter and should have replaced it a long time ago (the horror stories of reading the problems of taking off the plastic had me doubtful, but even I did it in an hour and I didnt know what the heck I was doing); however, even though it was filthy, I had no measurable drop in performance or mpg with the filthy filter. The 2012 and 2013 are identical except the 2013 also came in Red (see my avatar). The NC700 is like an old timex watch....takes a lickin and keeps on tickin....oh, and the brake bleed is easy-peasy...something else I learned to do last summer...

Welcome to the nc700-forum! Your bike looks identical to mine :) (a 2013 model-year, also in silver, also with the OEM top box).

Were you on forums.ninja250.org? Used to be very active there. My buddy that got me into riding told me, "go to this site, read every post". Looks like the last time I posted on there was Oct 2013.

Welcome to the nc700-forum! Your bike looks identical to mine :) (a 2013 model-year, also in silver, also with the OEM top box).

Were you on forums.ninja250.org? Used to be very active there. My buddy that got me into riding told me, "go to this site, read every post". Looks like the last time I posted on there was Oct 2013.
Yes I was but not super active. I bought the N250 2005 for my wife and it was a ok 2nd bike paired with the Honda 919. Great forums there for sure.

Back