• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmet noise levels

I haven't tried them all, but my Shoei GT Air helmet has the least wind noise of any of the helmets I've owned. I've had several Icons, Scorpion, HJC, Fulmer, KBC, and probably some others I'm forgetting. This is my first Shoei and it's definitely my favorite in terms of comfort, air flow, functionality (drop down visor) and wind noise level. The Icons are definitely my 2nd favorite though.

How is the spoiler working for you? I bought one too(a cheap one).
The high pitch wind noise is totally gone, but now I'm left with crazy buffeting at higher speeds.
Maybe I need to try more settings, oh and I ride the NC700S, so slightly different ergonomics.

How is the spoiler working for you? I bought one too(a cheap one).
The high pitch wind noise is totally gone, but now I'm left with crazy buffeting at higher speeds.
Maybe I need to try more settings, oh and I ride the NC700S, so slightly different ergonomics.
I still can get some buffeting from the side if it is a windy cross wind but I am generally very happy with the results

Brand/style of helmet makes a big difference. My current Nolan was never super quiet but now that it's aged and the padding is compressed it's definitely noisier. I wear ear plugs for any extended ride where I didn't feel I had to before. I'll be looking for good fall sales for a replacement even though I really love this helmet. Age matters.

How much difference does one helmet make vs another as far as wind noise goes? I currently wear a HJC modular, which I really like, but I’d like to have less noise when I ride. I have played with the stock windshield and a little add on wing that came on the windshield, I like it best with windshield in the lowest position with no wing on top, I’d rather not go with a big windshield if I can avoid it. What are the odds that a different helmet would help? Too bad I can’t go on test rides with helmets before I buy one, that would be nice.
This year I went from an HJC-FG17 to a Shoei RF-1400. I found that the Shoei was much more noisy however cooler and fit better. As 670cc suggested earlier I purchased a set of ear plugs which certainly lessen the decibels but leaves much of the necessary sounds to be heard. Early on (before Madstad came out with their 2021 Windshield) I changed the Honda OEM windshield with a Puig windscreen and visor, which also helped me with overall noise but I doubt it is as much as I would have gotten from a Madstad.

I have a Vstream tall screen and that made all the difference in the world for wind noise. I still use plugs most of the time but even on very long rides 8hrs+ I found the wind protection enough that when I forgot to put the plugs back in after a fuel/food stop it would take me a minute to so to realize I had. I’m using a HJC i90 which, with the stock screen, was unreal loud.

I was reading these posts and was just wondering -
HOW can one person have so much experiences with so many different helmets??
I mean I think I have had 3 helmets in over 25 years.
And I dont keep track of the model number, or how it was with wind.
Must be some riders with bunch of extra money to blow on helmets.

I was reading these posts and was just wondering -
HOW can one person have so much experiences with so many different helmets??
I mean I think I have had 3 helmets in over 25 years.
And I dont keep track of the model number, or how it was with wind.
Must be some riders with bunch of extra money to blow on helmets.
So you have had helmets 8 -10 years a pop, can't recall the model, or recall what the helmet was like to wear?

Er, ok.

Back