• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmet !!! We all need one !!! Which do you choose ?!?!

WHAT TYPE OF HELMET DO YOU NORMALLY RIDE WITH ?!?

• FULL FACE

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • OPEN FACE - 3/4

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • HALF HELMET - BRAIN BUCKET

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MODULAR

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • OFF-ROAD

• NONE

• Total voters

Jay Fridays

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:cool: WE ALL WEAR A HELMET !!!:cool:
(unless you live in Hawaii...lol)​
There are a TON of different helmets. They can get pricey, but it is a not an option to choose one... There are so many models that people, like me, may be overwhelmed with choices, or not even know about some great helmets with awesome special features and functions.....

So........

1) What TYPE of helmet do you ride with? Half / Full / Modular / Brain-Bucket / etc ?

2) BRAND, Model, Size, Price ?

3) Special INTEGRATED Features ? besides head protection..... Bluetooth / Microphone / Speakers / Lighting / Material / Sunglasses / etc

4) What are the PROs and CONs you have experienced? Would you ADD/CHANGE anything, if you were able to...

5) DOES IT FIT IN THE FRUNK ?!?!

!! DON'T FORGET YOUR VOTE ON THE POLL !!

Last edited:
I wish I had bought a "modular" helmet to start with, and I recommend one to you.

They are full face, but you can lift the entire front up to talk, take a drink, or kiss your significant other.
Example: I leave my helmet on when I pump gas now... I just lift the entire face up to do the job.

In my case, I can leave my eye glasses on while I put the helmet on/off.

Most come with a built in sun shade that is soooo cool... I no longer have to stop to put sunglasses on/off.
The one I ordered has an accessory that syncs the light on the back of the helmet to the brake light... very fun.

The Helmet I like most (at least right now) is the GMax GM-54s
$130
and up.

38256_1.jpg

My street helmet is a HJC CL-16. No frills full-face helmet, meets all the testing standards, fits me (and the frunk) well, and wasn't very expensive. I'd never wear anything other than a full-face type helmet on the road. It's an XL and cost me about $130 CAD at a local dealer. If there was anything I'd change about it it would be adding a flip down tinted visor behind the face shield. My Mom's Bell Revolver modular helmet has that feature, and I think it's pretty cool.

Last edited:
What helmet you chose, is not that important. Putting it on your head every time you go ride is that important.4.jpg

SmileyHelmet.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
HJC CS-R1 It's full face and fits my long oval head fairly well. Got it off the sale shelf when in bought my 700x. No bt or build in sunglasses which I would consider when I get an upgrade. I'm really envious of the member with the half face Star Wars - fighter helmet.

StratTuner;44790 The one I ordered has an accessory that syncs the light on the back of the helmet to the brake light... very fun. [ATTACH=CONFIG said:
5430[/ATTACH]

Can you turn that off if you've got a passenger on the back?

I NOW HAVE 3 HELMETS

1) Oneal "ELEMENT" FastTrack -

Oneal FastTrack.jpg
Full Face - $300, Medium. - FITS IN FRUNK Defiitely my favorite features of all !!
Integrated Bluetooth / speakers / Microphone / auto-dial / auto-answer / volume .
Great features, easiy controlled while riding. only wish it had integrated Sunglasses.

2) Scorpion - EXO400

Scorpion_EXO-400_Solid_Helmet_Matte_Black_detail.jpg

Full Face - Approx $110, Large. DOES NOT FIT IN FRUNK
Got it free when I bought my NC. Basic Helmet, no bells or whistles. A bit heavy, but very comfortable. Wish it had glasses and everything else the O'neal has.lol

3) Gmax - GM54S

gmax.jpg

Modular Helmet - Orig $170 paid $127 - FITS IN FRUNK (thanks for the suggestion Strattuner )
Integrated helmet light wirelessly connects to brake light for added safety. Integrated sunglasses. Wish it had the O'neal features.

Last edited:
I wish I had bought a "modular" helmet to start with, and I recommend one to you.

They are full face, but you can lift the entire front up to talk, take a drink, or kiss your significant other.
Example:
The one I ordered has an accessory that syncs the light on the back of the helmet to the brake light... very fun.

Can you turn that off if you've got a passenger on the back?

Yes. and you can, or link it to your passanger's helmet as well (if they too have the gmax). Or the passanger only... It really is pretty awesome...

I wish I had bought this one from the beginning...

Full face Shoei Qwest, with flowers and a heart on it. Might be the most feminine thing I own. Don't remember how much it was, pricey though. Fits much better than the HJC I started with, is comfortable, and fits in the frunk. I'm guessing most size small helmets do though. Debating between a modular and something lighter next time. Both have major advantages for long days. Would also like integrated sunglasses, but I can take mine off while riding and shove them down my jacket if I need to (who knew that built in shelf would be useful in riding?), so it's not a huge deal.
Also, AZ, CO, and I believe UT don't require helmets either.

I guess I can mention my girl's helmet... She only rides on the back of my NC... but she has a helmet just the same...lol

HJC - IS33

HJC-IS3-_is copy.jpg

3/4 - Open-Face Helmet - Small... $135 / FITS IN FRUNK
Integrated Sunglasses.
She likes it, but complains that it gets a bit uncomfortable on long trips. over 1 hour.... but she has A LOT of hair…lol that could have something to do with it.

Last edited:
1) What TYPE of helmet do you ride with? Half / Full / Modular / Brain-Bucket / etc ?
Full face

2) BRAND, Model, Size, Price ?
Shoei RF1100, about 310.00

3) Special INTEGRATED Features ? besides head protection..... Bluetooth / Microphone / Speakers / Lighting / Material / Sunglasses / etc
None, I enjoy my own thoughts when I ride.

4) What are the PROs and CONs you have experienced? Would you ADD/CHANGE anything, if you were able to...
Pros.... Quiet, all day comfortable, good ventilation.
Cons.... Kinda pricey compared to HJC.

I wear a "Crossover" type helmet (per the Itialian Nolan website)

Nolan N43 AIR size Med Price paid $300 ish
Fiits in the frunk

Special features:

Removable chin bar
Drop down sun visor
Bill (or peak) for use when converted to open face helmet and visor is removed
Bluetooth mount
Unique Air ventilation system that moves air better than any helmet out there.

Pros:
Truly is the best ventilated helmet out there
Converts into 6 different configurations
Sun visor looks cool
Has great WIDE viewing area

CONS:
Not Modular (no flip up front)
Expensive
Not available in the US

OK, first of all the disclaimer: This helmet is not available in the US because DOT would not pass it due to the ventilation holes in the top of the helmet. This would have been a deal buster for me until I read the forums and found out that this helmet meets the European standards that most believe are more strict than DOT. For whatever reason DOT just did not like the vent holes on the top of the helmet and they would not certify the helmet while the European (ECE) standard certified it.
That doesn't mean you can't buy one. You just have to have it imported. I chose to do that because the biggest discomfort I have riding is the heat and lack of ventilation in my helmet. Technically it is not street legal in the US... but I've never been pulled over riding with it.
I think it's crazy DOT will certify a half, or quarter helmet, and not this helmet... go figure!
When riding with the vents open this thing feels like you have an exhaust fan on top of your head sucking the air out of the helmet, creating a nice air flow which keeps you cool and as sweat free as you can be in a full face helmet (assuming you have the chin bar on and the visor installed. I imagine riding it as an open face would really make it vent... but I haven't tried that.

Webbikeworld reviewed the helmet back in 2009 and it earned their "Product of the year" award. You can read their review here:

Nolan N43 - webBikeWorld

Here is their video review
http://tinyurl.com/le66xsl

product-of-the-year-2009-250.jpg
nolan_n-43_with_raised_face_shield.jpg
nolan-n43-chin-bar.jpg

This shows the vents closed with the slide over cover
nolan-n43-top.jpg
nolan-n43-top-vent.jpg
nolan-n43-rear.jpg
Nolan1.jpg
Nolan2.jpg

I've heard they are closing out this helmet overseas and the prices have dropped, so you might want to check it out if you want one.

Last edited:
Although it is important to wear a helmet as opposed to not wearing a helmet, a certified helmet is the minimum. It does not matter which DOT or local authority.

Helmets are like shoes. Would you walk or run on glass-sharded roads with your bare feet?
Some insist that it is "cool" to ride without a helmet. Well there is plenty of time to chill in that casket or body bag.
:p

I agree... But i have to admit, when I was in Hawaii, I rode a lot without a helmet. When you have that allowance, sometimes you take it for granted. And as humans, we have a tendency to hold the mindset of, "well, if it doesnt kill me now it's ok..." Or, "it's happens to other people, not me"... This is why we continue to shovel unhealthy food into our mouths, smoke cigarettes (not me, but people in general), and perpetually destroy our environment and natural resources for pointless contemporary conveniences. It's not gonna kill us today, so who cares?!?

Especially when you're only going a block to the market, or up the road to a buddies house.... If it wasn't a law, I'm sure many people would occasionally leave the lid at home.... But yes, ideally, nobody should ride without one...

This is a nice list...

And yes, In Hawaii there is a law for Motorcyclists under 18 only. But honestly, cops are not pulling anyone over for not having a helmet. (this is probably also the case in other more relaxed States)

And, but not mentioned, You must wear a helmet in Hawaii on a "Government Owned/Regulated" road. This generally applies to the roads on or entering military bases; and ANYONE enlisted in a military branch MUST wear a helmet when riding ANYWHERE in the state.... I rode without a helmet (aka stupidly) the whole time I was living on the island.... I will be wearing a helmet once I move back... ( I have matured.... only very slightly )

Back