• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmets, speakers and ear plugs

3 things must be right for success.

proper windshield _ i got a madstad- about nose level. and make sure the windshild also cover the area around to signal light. lots of wind noise from that location on the NC
proper fitting premium helmet - HJC rpha max work well for me
good bluetooth- i got a sena 10r- new speaker a very clear and loud!
good fitting earplug - you must learn how to properly fit you plug in the ear - many utube video on this subject- most people do not wear them properly- must be fully inserted. earplug store on line sell a sample pack and assorted earplugs- not all of them work the same

I run a Sena in my Arai, and I _always_ wear 31 - 33 dB foam ear plugs. The two together are great! I can hear music or directions or the intercom well up to any legal speed (excepting perhaps a couple areas of Utah or Texas with extra-high speed limits), and the ear plugs enhance the sound quality significantly.

Add me to the list of those who are happy with the Sena/earplug combo. For some reason vehicle sounds really resonate in my Arai Signet-Q helmet and I cannot ride without earplugs.

I'm using a UClear HBC200 system in a Schuberth C3 Pro -- in my other helmet (an AFX FX-120) with the UClear I definitely used earplugs. The C3 Pro is new so I've not had it out much yet, but in the first couple rides it's so much quieter I didn't use earplugs (didn't get on the interstate, so speeds were in the 35-50 range mostly) and it was fine. I always have earplugs with me, so I may end up using them with the C3 as well. As others have said, the earplugs don't really affect GPS directions or music that much, but knock down the "white noise" of the wind.

FYI -- I did try the earbud option with the UClear and it's very good for listening, but the outbound communication suffered (more crackling, lower output, etc.). This was true for the 3 other riders I was with also using UClears with the earbuds. When we all went back to just the installed speaker/mic configuration, comms improved.

I just ordered the HBC100- $70 from Cycle Gear. One of these days I'll spring for the more expensive gear.
I really only want it for music and e-books on long rides. I'll probably get a new helmet, too.

Thanks for allt he replies!

Before I bought the nc, I had a Honda pc 800, on the faring there were 2 speaker mounting point built in to the dash, so I fitted a radio in the boot, and a set of 200 watt speakers to the bike, you could here it at 80+ mph no problem+ speakers in my crash helmet.
pc4_zps63000c58.jpg

outlaw%20082_zps8cnt7qne.jpg

Now I have a radio in the front trunk of the nc with speakers in my helmet.

Last edited:
Reminder me again on your set up. I was impressed with it. $ ?

It's a Nolan N104. The comm system is the Nolan B4. Not the cheapest solution, but I just watched Revzilla and caught them on sale. I bought the helmet for arount $275, but that was a couple of years ago. The comm was about that much too. I think I've got a little under $600 in the whole thing. A lot, I know, but it does everything I wanted it to, fits very well, and is quiet on long rides. Of course, I wear earplugs as I mentioned earlier. One of the benefits I never really thought about was the built in FM tuner. I didn't think I'd ever use it, but it sure came in handy tracking storms from the local radio stations while we were riding.

I rigged a bluetooth receiver and some speakers into my helmet. I wear foam earplugs and crank the volume on the podcasts. Equalizes out to a nice comfortable level.
Total cost = $20.

got enough to contend with ,without listening to music while riding.
no interest at all I wont even have an intercom or what ever you call them.
the last thing I want while quietly minding my own business and looking out for suicidal rabbits/pheasants is for my wife to shout JOHN!did you see that while wobbling all over f**king road

My dad gave me a Cardo G9x, he had bought 2 of them on eBay for a good deal.

I use this in my Shoei RF-1000 (craigslist for 150, was new in box essentially). The Shoei has spots in it that the speakers from the cardo fit right in.

When wearing earplugs I can still hear directions and/or music just fine. It's more pleasant than without plugs.

I haven't tried using the intercom feature or talking on the phone with it though, I prefer just to have a low volume soundtrack and definitely turn by turn directions to keep me on track.

I got a cheap Bluetooth intercom from Competition Accessories (I think). It only is an intercom if someone else has the same set. It is nice to be able to listen to music wirelessly. It is supposed to pare with phone and GPS also.
$90.

My dad gave me a Cardo G9x, he had bought 2 of them on eBay for a good deal.

I use this in my Shoei RF-1000 (craigslist for 150, was new in box essentially). The Shoei has spots in it that the speakers from the cardo fit right in.

When wearing earplugs I can still hear directions and/or music just fine. It's more pleasant than without plugs.

I haven't tried using the intercom feature or talking on the phone with it though, I prefer just to have a low volume soundtrack and definitely turn by turn directions to keep me on track.
The 1000 was replaced a decade ago by the IIRC. What's the build date on that Shoei? It's on a sticker on the inside chin bar or behind the left ear. It's recommended to replace a helmet after 5 years of use or 7 years from build. The EPS foam liner ages and changes ability to deform and absorb energy.

I know I have resurrected a zombie thread, bringing this back from its death in 2016, but several of the more recent Earplug threads were brand specific and I didn't want to derail them.

Yesterday I rode for the first time with Earplugs + Cardo + Arai helmet.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 7.47.52 AM.png

First off I have to admit that I hate earplugs. Mostly I use the foam squishy type while shooting, usually under shooting ear muffs. They always feel uncomfortable.

I bought cheap silicone plugs from Amazon that said they were good for motorcycle riding and other activities to try out.

It took a while but I finally got comfortable with them. I have never found my Arai Defiant to be a loud helmet, I can ride at highway speeds and use my Cardo PackTalk to talk to someone on the phone, listen to music, etc. Typically NOT at full volume levels! Now I do have a Madstad windscreen and that definitely helps reduce noise.

What shocked me was that it was EASIER TO HEAR AND UNDERSTAND the music and easier to hear and understand an emergency phone call I received; normally I try to pull over if I answer a phone call, I got an emergency call about our foster son from his grandma, she had him at the doctor, I was in traffic and unable to pull over, but I easily understood everything she was saying.

Yes everything was quieter. But the earplugs seemed to silence the wrong sounds and allow the necessary sounds come through. I did turn the volume up on the Cardo headset. After 3 hours of riding they were still comfortable. I didn't have any mental wind fatigue (not sure what else to call it) that I sometimes feel from multi-hour ride.

I was always skeptical, but various threads and comments posted on this forum got me to try it. I like it. Thanks for convincing me. BTW, the image about does not show the little 'tabs' that extend out the back of the earplugs that make it easy to get out of your ear.

I use custom ear plugs from when when I was in machining school. They can be a foreign feeling to start but after getting use to them you almost forget that they are there. In regards to the sound I would describe it as almost filtering out the peaks of sound, minimizing the high and low frequency leaving the middle.

I guess earplugs are what you are used to. I use Howard Leight foam ones and can and do wear them all day for days at a time. I might ride my scooter without ear plugs but never without on the bikes. Like Bob said, they make helmet audio and communication clearer instead of thin & tinny and reduce physical fatigue on long rides.

Back