• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help - 8000 mile service cost

So, in a somewhat chronological order, here is what happened:

Before going to the service shop I called a sort-of local Honda dealership and asked them how long it would take to do the 8k service. He said that based on a document Honda provides to its service dealers and a formula (multiply the Honda number by 1.X where X can change depending on how old the bike is), the total time he would charge for the 8k service would be 2.1 hours. I greatly thanked him for this information and let him know he might be hearing from me in the future.

I go to the service shop and ask them about the 5.5 hour charge. I tell them that based on the timing of my phone calls from yesterday and their responses, I estimate they worked on the bike for 2.5 hours or less. I also tell them that others have completed the service themselves or at a mechanic for around the 2-2.5 hour range and that a Honda dealership charges 2.1 hours for the service. After being given the run around for a while and hearing “checking the valves on ANY bike is at least a 4 to 5 hour job” multiple times, not being given a clear answer on when and how long the mechanic worked on my bike (although I wouldn’t normally expect a “when was it worked on” window), checking the Honda service manual, etc etc, I asked to speak to the service manager.

I went over the same things with the service manager who asked to speak to the Honda dealership I contacted. The manager’s intent was to figure out where this 2.1 hour number was coming from because based on the documents they received from Honda, the recommended service time (before applying the 1.X multiple) was way over 2.1. I was not going to blindside the Honda mechanic I talked to so she said to call him and figure out where the number comes from while she checks her sources. After a brief phone call I go back inside and a few changes happened before I could say anything.

First, there was a “mistake” that the 5.5 number should actually be 4.5 hours. Then the manager gave me a $75 credit. This effectively makes the total labor 3.75 hours. Still more than what I would estimate it to be, but based on some information learned here, from the Honda mechanic, and needing to cut my loses at some point, this number was much more acceptable.

In the end, the total went from $625.40 to $450.40. I appreciate the service manager’s help in working with me on what was a fair charge for labor. I do no appreciate the initial dishonesty, although, I realize this is par for the course (at least for this place).

Based on the wealth of information I’ve learned over the past 24 hours I will probably consider a different service shop.

So, in a somewhat chronological order, here is what happened:

Before going to the service shop I called a sort-of local Honda dealership and asked them how long it would take to do the 8k service. He said that based on a document Honda provides to its service dealers and a formula (multiply the Honda number by 1.X where X can change depending on how old the bike is), the total time he would charge for the 8k service would be 2.1 hours. I greatly thanked him for this information and let him know he might be hearing from me in the future.

I go to the service shop and ask them about the 5.5 hour charge. I tell them that based on the timing of my phone calls from yesterday and their responses, I estimate they worked on the bike for 2.5 hours or less. I also tell them that others have completed the service themselves or at a mechanic for around the 2-2.5 hour range and that a Honda dealership charges 2.1 hours for the service. After being given the run around for a while and hearing “checking the valves on ANY bike is at least a 4 to 5 hour job” multiple times, not being given a clear answer on when and how long the mechanic worked on my bike (although I wouldn’t normally expect a “when was it worked on” window), checking the Honda service manual, etc etc, I asked to speak to the service manager.

I went over the same things with the service manager who asked to speak to the Honda dealership I contacted. The manager’s intent was to figure out where this 2.1 hour number was coming from because based on the documents they received from Honda, the recommended service time (before applying the 1.X multiple) was way over 2.1. I was not going to blindside the Honda mechanic I talked to so she said to call him and figure out where the number comes from while she checks her sources. After a brief phone call I go back inside and a few changes happened before I could say anything.

First, there was a “mistake” that the 5.5 number should actually be 4.5 hours. Then the manager gave me a $75 credit. This effectively makes the total labor 3.75 hours. Still more than what I would estimate it to be, but based on some information learned here, from the Honda mechanic, and needing to cut my loses at some point, this number was much more acceptable.

In the end, the total went from $625.40 to $450.40. I appreciate the service manager’s help in working with me on what was a fair charge for labor. I do no appreciate the initial dishonesty, although, I realize this is par for the course (at least for this place).

Based on the wealth of information I’ve learned over the past 24 hours I will probably consider a different service shop.

Please review them on yelp or google, something beside this site, so more people can see it. this is the only way to make business change.

I chose the NC due to the facts the most cycle require valve check at some point, the way the NC700 engine is position allow it for easy check up, compared to most motorcycle that might require to remove the tank and that can take 5 hours to do. this is the great thing about the NC700. buy a service book, look at video and ask questions here. you can learn to do most of these basic services.

Please review them on yelp or google, something beside this site, so more people can see it. this is the only way to make business change.

Oh I will. I would first like the emotions to simmer down then collect all my information so I can be as objective as possible.

Imo any job that costs 10% of the item should rise a big red flag for anyone. Specially for 6+ k bike...might be ok for 20k bmw or ducatti...Even Steve wonder would see it. Replace an engine or tranny on the car cost less. Did you checked, if they at least actually DID removed the radiator and valve cover?
the key is to DIY as much as you can. Otherwise-its not worth it. Condo rules are not an excuse. I use live in condo and done all sort of repairs on parking lot..if you arent diy guy-You might be better off with 16k , 40 mpg small car. I mean financially and practically. Specially when married, commuting even on weekends together.

Last edited:
One thing I would do next time is ask the technician to write down the clearances of the valves for your own reference records. This is not to imply the shop charged you for the service and then did not do it but it has been known to happen. The main reason besides keeping an honest tech honest is that it is helpful knowing what each valve clearance measured at and which if any needed adjusting.

My own opinion is that you were grossly overcharged and the ethics of the shop are suspect. I always do my own work and I think the first service I did took about three hours at a very slow pace of checking, double checking, and triple checking my own work against the service manual. My ST1300 allows 7.1 hours to do a similar service and it's a much more complicated procedure to adjust valves compared to the NC700.

I like the idea of writing down the valve clearance with each check! I like to keep fairly good records but never thought of that.

One thing I would do next time is ask the technician to write down the clearances of the valves for your own reference records. This is not to imply the shop charged you for the service and then did not do it but it has been known to happen. The main reason besides keeping an honest tech honest is that it is helpful knowing what each valve clearance measured at and which if any needed adjusting.

All I got was a check box. The Honda mechanic said they should give me numbers, just like you suggest, which is what I will request in the future.

My own opinion is that you were grossly overcharged and the ethics of the shop are suspect. I always do my own work and I think the first service I did took about three hours at a very slow pace of checking, double checking, and triple checking my own work against the service manual. My ST1300 allows 7.1 hours to do a similar service and it's a much more complicated procedure to adjust valves compared to the NC700.

that's what i thought. 5+ hours might be a reasonable time for 4 cyl cramped bike(CBR comes to mind),but NC? there is only two of them and they are right on the front.

Honda made this bike to cheap to maintain and to own.
$7k bike with 16k valve check and longer that most bike for oil change. i only wish for a shaft drive - that would probably shoot up the price. and willing to pay it.

the placement of the engine facing forward was a great idea for maint purpose

Last edited:
On my FZ6 the valves were adjusted ~ 27/28k miles. Had the adjustment done at a Suzuki shop where I'm good friends with the owner. And the mechanic is really good. He put the pre and post adjustment values down on the ticket. I have the manual for the X and plan on getting a friend of mine who could literally overhaul an 18 wheeler engine on the side of the road, and has, to help me through it. His BMW R1150R has the same type of valve adjustment.

I was quoted $220 for the 600 mile service. I clarified, that this was not a major service, no valves, just oil change and bolt check. He confirmed $220. I did it myself and am guessing the 8k service would be roughly 3x the minor service, so $650ish. Thats ridiculous, so I will do it myself also but at least in San Diego, that appears to be the going rates ($220 for just oil change, I didnt ask but speculate in the $6xx for valves).

Speaking about bolt check-where can I read more about it? Which ones to check and torques. Thank you!

Back