• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help me... for I am an idiot

jtkirk

Reaction score
Visit site
Through my own stupidity, three years apart, I have screwed up both keys to my 2012 X. One is bent so badly - the one I just messed up - that it is no longer usable. My other one from three years ago is usable but I really have to work it to get it out of the ignition. Are these "smart" keys I need to get at a dealer or can I get the less damaged one copied anywhere?

It's not a smart key in the US market.

The dealer can cut a new with the key code ( dealer blank can be pricey) or any location ( locksmith, Ace hardware etc) that copies keys can cut a new key from the old key using HD109 blank.

On the off-chance that a key might get bent or lose its fit, I had two identical keys made for $5, and put my originals in a safe place. When the NC is running or sitting in a safe place, one key is in the ignition and the other in the frunk slot. They are attached to a mini-bungie cord that runs under or above the handlebars, the hooks bent to keep them on it securely. Stores flat and easy in a pocket or clipped to my main key chain. I don't remove these keys very often so it keeps wear to a minimum.

31668d1477674744-2016-what-did-you-do-your-nc700-today-2016-10-28-10;50;43s-jpg

People stealing Honda motorcycles is generally not a problem in the US, especially an NC so there really isn't a need for the HISS here. I guess the most stolen motorcycles are Harleys and certain sport bikes.

Why is that?
Is there a logical reason for that?

I think it's money. We are generally parsimonious (fancy synonym for cheap) over here and won't pay much for a motorcycle. Anything that can reduce costs and keeps prices down preserves the thin profit margin on sales.

I had two copies made. I put the original in the safe.
One is in the ignition, the other in my pocket on the main key ring.

I keep my key protected in a Maglite Solitaire box with a fit foam insert. Just a cheap idea to prevent bending it in future.

Sent by Motorola Moto G 4G

In the US, I think the motorcycles which are stolen are just picked up and placed in vans, trucks, etc (not ridden away) and then parted out and parts sold piece meal (my own opinion). If a good thief wants to steal your stuff, they are going to find away, no matter the security features you have. I don't want or want to pay for security features for bikes/cars (I have full coverage insurance on my autos/bikes).

On the off-chance that a key might get bent or lose its fit, I had two identical keys made for $5, and put my originals in a safe place. When the NC is running or sitting in a safe place, one key is in the ignition and the other in the frunk slot. They are attached to a mini-bungie cord that runs under or above the handlebars, the hooks bent to keep them on it securely. Stores flat and easy in a pocket or clipped to my main key chain. I don't remove these keys very often so it keeps wear to a minimum.

31668d1477674744-2016-what-did-you-do-your-nc700-today-2016-10-28-10;50;43s-jpg

I guess bring this to the top again....

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...-storage-compartment.html?highlight=frunk+key

if you don't glue a walrus to the top of your frunk key it is rumored that it will sink to the bottom of your purse and be hard to find i guess.

Back