• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help! No Engine Oil Pressure light with key on

ranhart

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the oil/Filter in my 2015 NC700x,it has little over 4K on it. Before start up I noticed that there was no engine oil light on with the key on.

No light with key on or after start up.

Checked the EOP switch with ohm meter, it is grounded from terminal to ground with engine off, after start up it opens up losing the ground, which I believe is correct operation

Has anyone had this problem before?

Guess bulb failure would be a prime suspect. (Suspect the bulb is not a user serviceable item.)
One check would be unplug and plug the meter cluster back in. The connection on the meter has been error point a few times in other posts.

Guess bulb failure would be a prime suspect. (Suspect the bulb is not a user serviceable item.)
One check would be unplug and plug the meter cluster back in. The connection on the meter has been error point a few times in other posts.

I have gotten in the manual a little more, My understanding is it comes down to the ECM, Gauge Cluster or wiring. ECM and gauge cluster communicate back and forth with each other. If wiring is good, manual indicates that the gauge cluster should be traded out with a know good unit.

Took the gauge cluster apart, no bulbs, there are LEDs, small surface mount type.

I have checked wiring and connectors all seams to be okay

This is not something that I think would happen 2 your Honda, well a 2015 that I purchased new 2 years ago, less that 4500 miles .

Agree, check the wiring before going any farther.

Especially the wire from the oil pressure sensor to the ECM. Unplug the ECM and the oil sensor OHM check the wire itself and check continuity to ground. ( should be no continuity to ground )

Since the data line is getting to the cluster with tach and speedometer the ECM and cluster might be OK ?
The individual LED for the oil light still could be the cause.

The fact there is no MIL light, no oil light on with key and the other function on the cluster are ok.........does point at the oil LED bulb.

It’s interesting that the service manual does not give a test procedure for the oil pressure sensor itself. Would be a good idea to absolutely rule out the sensor.

Used cluster should be available.......but........it will mess with you odometer reading.
Oil pressure problems on the NC are rare......could.......just run without the oil light.

Last edited:
Agree, check the wiring before going any farther.

Especially the wire from the oil pressure sensor to the ECM. Unplug the ECM and the oil sensor OHM check the wire itself and check continuity to ground. ( should be no continuity to ground )

Since the data line is getting to the cluster with tach and speedometer the ECM and cluster might be OK ?
The individual LED for the oil light still could be the cause.

The fact there is no MIL light, no oil light on with key and the other function on the cluster are ok.........does point at the oil LED bulb.

It’s interesting that the service manual does not give a test procedure for the oil pressure sensor itself. Would be a good idea to absolutely rule out the sensor.

Used cluster should be available.......but........it will mess with you odometer reading.
Oil pressure problems on the NC are rare......could.......just run without the oil light.

I ran through all the test procedures in the manual, everything checked out, all wiring and voltage tested fine, so assume the issue is in the gauge cluster or LED for the oil light. Tested the oil pressure sending unit with a test light, terminal is grounded with engine off/no oil pressure, once the engine is started and has pressure the ground goes away.

I'm not comfortable running the bike without a oil light

So looking for the new gauge cluster, see them for $ 111.00 on 2wheelspros site

You could save some money and try an external oil light. Wire it to the oil pressure sensor.

Did a quick search on Amazon. 12v oil pressure light:
9004b2a484358da78b3d389c0c645ef6.jpg

JT

You could find yourself an electronic oil pressure gauge and actually know the oil pressure instead of relying on the light (when I was growing up, they were called 'dummy' lights).
I wish the NC came with at least a temperature gauge instead of a dummy light

An oil pressure light or oil pressure gauge ( not watched ) ........if oil pressure goes low at highway speed, the engine is JUNK with either monitoring device. The joke was the oil light should say JUNK ENG. when lit.

Example Mercedes Benz diesel Sprinter has no oil pressure indicator of any kind ( none).........they like many manufacturers decided to go with an oil level warning system. Think the research found “regular people” rarely check the oil. Oil pressure was not lost from a mechanical issue but rather its lost from no or low in the crankcase. This low level issue became more common as the oil change interval went from 5000 to 7500 to 10,000 to 15,0000 and now some are at 20,000. Many customers believe they should have to check the oil in between changes.

Last edited:
Back