• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help With First Bike Decision

From all the reports on the DCT you lose nothing going that route and you actually gain some advantages especially in an urban commuting scenario. Keep in mind that most high end sports cars (think Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) have moved to DCT with several models not even offered in a manual. Their DCT sales are way higher than manual. That is how good DCT technology has become.

You forgot to mention that Honda is the "Only" motorcycle manufacturer to offer DCT in a motorcycle.

I think that we all know this, but its nice to reiterate it from time to time as a reminder... :)

The DCT can be shifted "Manually", if that is desired or warranted. I have ran the bike in "MT-Model" under certain circumstances, like stuck in traffic on the freeway or riding around in a parking lot.

The "Selling Point" for me was there are a total of "3" modes this bike can be ridden in. I have also pretty much mapped out where to use each of these and change modes in a fraction of a moment.

Modes:

D - Drive "Econo" - Highways and Freeways
S - Sport "High Rev" - City Streets, Canyons, Mountain Roads, etc...
MT - Manual - Low Speed Maneuvering and Trail Riding

So the Costco dealer highballed me...

View attachment 15079

Trying to see if I can whittle him down. He is over what I was priced here with the discount thrown in.

Accessory quote seems high too. Crash bars, honda luggage, center stand, windshield and bark busters.

I am crossing my fingers and hope something pops up used. =]

It's a starting point, take this to your local dealer and see what they can do for you. Do not give out so easily. Some dealers still have 2013's in their inventory. Ask him if he still has any "In-Stock".

Use this to see if you can use this to get a little more "Leverage". Be advised that this pricing is for a 2013 Manual, not a DCT. The difference in the 2 price was $500 for the DCT.

CostcoQuote2013NC700X.JPG

I told the dealer that I would install all the accessories myself. That helped with my "Bottom-Line". Only have that statement, if you can install all these items on your own. If not, contact me and I'll talk you through it. Between the "Frunk" and the "Rear Box" there's plenty of storage.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get them to "Budge" on those prices. :D

I have given you everything that you need. Use your training well, Grasshopper!!! :cool:

I am crossing my fingers and hope something pops up used. =]

I found this one in Cederburg, WI, if you do not mind driving up there to get it, 2013 Honda NC700XD - Red. The price seems "Pretty Good" for "Brand New". It's also "Red", hopefully that will not be an issue for you. I checked the distance from Evansville to Cederburg, it's about 2 hours away. This is best I can do for you without knowing the actual area.

"Good Luck and God Speed" to you...

That one is on my list to check off. Red isn't my first choice, but I wouldn't let that rule it out if everything else lined up.

Costco dealer is a bust. His best offer on the 2014 is 8,250, plus fees with no Costco discount. He has a 2013 that he will go 8000 on, also no Costco discount. He doesn't want to budge on the accessories. Next stop is the local dealership to see what they can do.

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Costco dealer is a bust. His best offer on the 2014 is 8,250, plus fees with no Costco discount. He has a 2013 that he will go 8000 on, also no Costco discount. He doesn't want to budge on the accessories. Next stop is the local dealership to see what they can do.

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Wow, sounds like this guy might not be following the guidelines to be an "Approved Costco Dealer". Call Costco and see what they have on their books for that particular bike in your area. If their numbers are less then that Dealers, then immediately report them. Costco will take them immediately off of their "Approved Dealer List". It's worth a few minute phone call...

Honda accessories are easily bought for 20 to 25% off with free shipping and no tax. Procaliber.com is a good source. 15% off is not a good deal.

Freight and prep is just fluff and should never enter into the sales quote at all. If the dealer insists that it's mandatory, go elsewhere.

When I shop new, which is very rare, I contact at least a dozen dealers in a 200 mile radius for best pricing.

Last edited:
When I shop new, which is very rare, I contact at least a dozen dealers in a 200 mile radius for best pricing.

The whole "Purpose" of the Costco or AAA Programs is that you do not have to do this. I am really appalled that is guys who's "Supposed To Be" an "Approved Costco Dealer" do such a thing. Costco has "Very Strict Guidelines" to be one of their "Third Party Service Providers". They would like to hear back from their members when they come across things as such as this.

CostcoBuyProgram.jpg

Forward that e-mail that you received from that "Shady Dealer" to [email protected]. Then let them investigate this all. Either this guy will give the correct deal as called out in the Costco Contract or he will be removed from further participation in this program. Turn the screws down on this guy. Costco is on your side, let them do all the work for you.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice and give a little follow up.
I ended up going with the gently used manual from a private seller. I pick it up on Saturday!

ABS is only an expensive option the 99.9999% of the time it is just sitting there like a bump on a log not doing a damned thing.

The other times, you count it among the wiser purchases you've ever made.

I got a manual with ABS, simply because in Japan we can order them that way if we want and because I didn't feel like paying an extra $2000 for the DCT. But if I were in a market where I couldn't choose, I would get the bike with the ABS, even if it meant buying the DCT. From what I hear from forum members who commute on their DCT models, it makes life much easier.

I commute on a DCT a couple times a week, then I'm on my ST1300. I "LOVE" the DCT and it does not take away from the riding experience, it actually "Enhances It". You can focus on many other elements while riding. I like to “Downshift” when my when riding around. If I feel like I do not want to, I do not have too. I only paid $500 (USD) for the DCT/ABS Upgrade... :)

After a bit of a hiatus I'm back on the ball with getting into motorcycling. I haven't bought one yet but have decided to get the NC750X (or S if it's too tall - I'm 1.74m tall), nor have I got my learner's permit although I am only weeks away from getting it.

On a whim I did a google search on recommended beginner bikes and I was surprised for two reasons. Firstly, most recommended smaller bikes of 250cc or less, but a few had some mid-sized bikes recommended like the new HD 750 Street, or the 650 Monster. Only one site gave proper reasoning for why a certain bike style/size is better for beginners. Apparently low seat height and being able to flat-foot while stationary gives a new rider a certain degree of confidence, as does ease of handling, but most important (and understandably so) is a flat or predictable power delivery from the engine. These all make sense to me and I can see why the small or mid-sized cruisers are favoured, at least in the US, as good beginner bikes.

But this brings me to the second reason I was surprised. Neither the NC-X nor -S were in any of these recommended lists. Not once. The closest was the CTX700. The NC's match all the above criteria with the possible exception of seat height, so why is there no love for the NC's, I wonder? Is there anything about them that might not be good for beginners?

Back