• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Herky Jerky

MAJikMARCer

Reaction score
Visit site
I know that description is really helpful. ;)

When riding in the neighborhood, the speed limit is 25mph. I keep the bike in 2nd gear for this. But I notice the bike is a bit 'herky jerky' in terms of power/gas. It's not smooth. It may just that I'm lugging the engine, but riding 25mph in 1st seems a poor solution.

Is this just a common fuel issue at these speeds/rpm or do i need to have my computer checked out? I don't have problems like this at higher speeds/rpm. I can live with it, but it would be nice if my low speed throttle response was a bit smoother. For parking lots and side/residential streets and the like. At this point I'd be a bit unsure about taking the bike on the Advanced MSF course.

Thoughts? I'm just at 1000 miles.

I know that description is really helpful. ;)

When riding in the neighborhood, the speed limit is 25mph. I keep the bike in 2nd gear for this. But I notice the bike is a bit 'herky jerky' in terms of power/gas. It's not smooth. It may just that I'm lugging the engine, but riding 25mph in 1st seems a poor solution.

Is this just a common fuel issue at these speeds/rpm or do i need to have my computer checked out? I don't have problems like this at higher speeds/rpm. I can live with it, but it would be nice if my low speed throttle response was a bit smoother. For parking lots and side/residential streets and the like. At this point I'd be a bit unsure about taking the bike on the Advanced MSF course.

Thoughts? I'm just at 1000 miles.

Mine does the same thing in parking lots. I usually shift to 3rd and have no issues there. 2nd gear doesn't seem very tall. Your through it before you know it. Try shifting to 3rd and see how she reacts.

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing, I went to a 45T on the rear sprocket - She's a different animal around town now.:D

I would say this is normal behavior and given some more time "you get used to it", you shift to a higher gear, you soften the throttle with the clutch, etc. The question posed did not include the experience level but in general fuel injected bikes are more challenging at low speeds compared to carburerated bikes. FI is more "digital" than an old fashioned carb with a low speed circuit that picks up right off idle. If the NC is a first fuel injected bike it can be touchy but for a fuel injected bike the NC does have very good fueling. There are much worse.

I would say this is normal behavior and given some more time "you get used to it", you shift to a higher gear, you soften the throttle with the clutch, etc. The question posed did not include the experience level but in general fuel injected bikes are more challenging at low speeds compared to carburerated bikes. FI is more "digital" than an old fashioned carb with a low speed circuit that picks up right off idle. If the NC is a first fuel injected bike it can be touchy but for a fuel injected bike the NC does have very good fueling. There are much worse.

Ah that may be it. I'm still a relative noob and my first bike (still have her) is an 81 Suzuki with nice clean carbs.

At 25mph I'm always in 3rd and have no trouble. When it drops below 20mph I drop down into 2nd. Once I'm rolling I hardly ever use 1st.

25mph is 3rd for me. You can also try tightening up the throttle cable a little. Someone else had mentioned doing that and I tried it and it helped with light throttle response. I think that was kind of a mental/wrist control issue where eliminating some of the slack helped make the amount of rotation match up with the amount of throttle I was expecting.

...I'm still a relative noob....
Well, I'm pretty new, too, both to the NCX and riding in general so I may have it all wrong but I try to watch the tach and keep it at 2500-ish. Anything below 22 - 2500 rpm feels like the bike is "lugging" - telling me to downshift. If there is traffic, I tend to run the rpms more in the just under 3000 range as that seems to give the responsiveness to quickly and easily speed up or slow down as conditions dictate.

Of course the rpms run higher at the higher speeds (~3000 at 55 in 6th) but that's a different discussion.

Finally, to your comment about the "Advanced MSF course", somebody on this forum once said something about practice - I think it was in a front/rear brake thread - and I'd suggest that applies here as well. In the basic rider course I took, the instructor reminded us, with some regularity, about the friction zone on the clutch (throttle is gross control; clutch is fine control). As I ride around and try to put what I was taught in that course into practice I try to remember the friction zone when doing the real low speed stuff.

I try to watch the tach and keep it at 2500-ish. Anything below 22 - 2500 rpm feels like the bike is "lugging" - telling me to downshift. If there is traffic, I tend to run the rpms more in the just under 3000 range as that seems to give the responsiveness to quickly and easily speed up or slow down as conditions dictate.

Well, apologies, but my CRS seemed to be kicking up when I wrote the above last night. :( I was off 4-500 rpm. Should have written "...keep it at 2000-ish....", "...below 17/1800 - 2000 feels like it is "lugging"...." and "...just under the 2500 range...."

Back