• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

He's baaaccck

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't been here much in the last week or so. Wife and I just returned from a 11 day, 4700 mile 10 states ,4 National Parks, and several significant roads out west tour. Unfortunately, this time we were not on our bike but in her SUV. Now in our 70's, we are no longer able to make these long tours by bike anymore. We hit Wind Cave Natl Park in SD, Yellowstone Natl Park in Montana/Wyo , Grand Teton Natl Park in Wyoming, and Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. We drove Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road, Beartooth Pass, and Chief Joseph Highway. We drove more states Scenic Byways than you can shake a stick at lol. These are all wonderful places to ride a motorcycle. My wife and I rode most of them on our ST 1300 over the years. This trip we saw more Harley's than you could count. American Iron is alive and well in the American west. Saw a fair amount of BMW GS's as well. Even a few KTMs. Seems it was either a cruiser or an ADV bike, but the vast majority were cruisers. The Big 4 Japanese brands were poorly represented from what we could see. A smattering of Gold Wings, a lot of those triked.

It seems hotel internet connectivity is sketchy in a lot of places, especially at Quality Inns it seemed.

I made sure to take a motorcycle ride the morning before we took off and tonight an hour after we got back, so I only missed 9 days of riding, but I can tell you tonight's ride although short, was euphoric for me.

It's good to be home.

Now to catch up on some reading.

Wow, you guys sure took in a lot over those 11 days. We did Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado this summer, but that was the extent of what we visited in our week there. I think I'd be exhausted by the time I got home if I tried your itinerary.

Lol yea I'm not into caves much, but my wife wanted to go in.

There was an amazing amount of wildlife there though and we have great pics and video of antelope and bison from there and the wildlife loop in Custer State Park.

Wow, you guys sure took in a lot over those 11 days. We did Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado this summer, but that was the extent of what we visited in our week there. I think I'd be exhausted by the time I got home if I tried your itinerary.

Rocky Mt National Park is amazing. They are on timed entry now from 9am to 3 pm. You have to call the govt for an appt, and from what we were told the permits are grabbed up in minutes. We got there at 11:30 and had to waste time until 3 before we were allowed in. From 1:30 until 3 we just sat in the car outside the gate watching the clock. 5 years ago when I and 2 buddies rode our motorcycles there, we just rode up and were allowed to enter.

At every park there were gazillions of people, taking some of the joy out of the visits

Rocky Mt National Park is amazing. They are on timed entry now from 9am to 3 pm. You have to call the govt for an appt, and from what we were told the permits are grabbed up in minutes. We got there at 11:30 and had to waste time until 3 before we were allowed in. From 1:30 until 3 we just sat in the car outside the gate watching the clock. 5 years ago when I and 2 buddies rode our motorcycles there, we just rode up and were allowed to enter.

At every park there were gazillions of people, taking some of the joy out of the visits
I’ve been to about 22 of the National Parks, and all the parks and roads you mentioned in post #1. I never once had to wait or reserve for entry. I looked forward at retirement to visiting more National Parks, but current overcrowding in the popular parks has me looking elsewhere to parks off the beaten path and to more remote national forest campgrounds.

I want to enjoy nature and get away from people, but the big parks are just too busy nowadays.

I’m glad you got to go, and I’m sure you had a good time.

Lol the kids are usually back in school in September ( which is why my wife and I always took our motorcycle trips in Sept) , but there were plenty of them at the parks we visited.

Back