• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hi all from SC! Need info!

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, so I picked up a brand new '16 NC700X DCT a few days ago kinda on a whim and so far, Im really liking it.

In the past, I've had:
KLR650
FJ-09
Both generations of Kawi concours
Super Tenere
Honda Fury
Several CB 750's
Honda PCX...

Theres a lot more but you get the idea. I like a bike that can go offroad some, but it'll mainly be for on road commutes and such. So I like the DCT so far, and love the frunk even tho my Scorpion wont fit in it. It "fits" the dual sport theme kinda, so theres that.

Here's what I need to know:

*On a few bikes, there's been things you "need" to do immediately after purchase. For example, the KLR you "needed" to replace the doohickey (idler tensioner spring) because it "could" grenade your motor. Any such nonsense with this bike?
*Common upgrades/farkles?
*Bike specific tips/tricks?

Anything I should know,please post links. I will be searching as much as I can but I figure yall might know off the top of your head and can help a new guy out faster.

Thanks, glad to be here.

David

I have a '12. I raised the front of my seat by 3/4 inch. I also put on a set of 2" adjustable risers. Those made a huge difference for me. I also installed the Honda centerstand. I feel that is a necessity now that I've had one. One farkle that I added was the Honda 12v power outlet with the subharness. If I was doing it over again, I would probably go with an aftermarket harness and outlet. Maybe one that mounted on the handlebars. The one amp fuse in the Honda setup doesn't seem big enough to handle a heavy load.

Another cool thing that I did was I had a local locksmith make a dedicated frunk key. He just didn't cut the last three notches on the key. He used an Ilco HD106 blank instead of the 109 that fits the ignition. It works on the frunk, but isn't long enough for the ignition.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking of right now. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

So you the one thing you NEED to do right after purchase is ride! Haha. These bikes pretty straight forward and great right out of the box.....one thing you dont want to do is ask about an exhaust while your new here, I made the mistake of doing that and really got flamed for it, but the exhaust is on there now, do what you want with it, just dont ask about it on here, lol. (glad no one on here heard my roastar warrior exhaust, hehe)

I cant speak for the 16, but raising the front of the seat like Agent said made a huge difference for me, it save me a bunch $$ that I was going to put towards an aftermarket seat, and I can ride a lot longer and more comfortable now. I ran a battery tender lead up to my bars, and have USB adapter on it, that, plus the quad lock cell phone mount on my bars give me great GPS with charging usb ability for under $20.

The rest is up to you, great bikes, they last forever, and if your like most of us, you got a great deal on it, so they dont break the bank.....and the service schedule wont break the bank either, so have fun on it!

If you want to ride off road, look into a cogent suspension. Springs and emulators for the forks run about $300. Had them on my dr650 and just bought them for my NC. Plan to install later this spring. Still haven't decided on a shock.

For the seat, I got a Seat Concepts cover. Works great. I did a bunch of other things, but the seat is #1.

Welcome to the forum, read as much as you can and you will find most things you will need to know. Everyone is very friendly and will answer all your questions.

Welcome, the thing I value the most is the Madstad windshield. High up on the list is some type of seat mod. I think the 16 has a better seat so your butt will tell you it is enough :)

The basic answer to your question is no, nothing is dangerous or liable to break.
I changed the oil earlier than recommended because we have lots of dust and pollen here, and I live on a dirt and gravel road.
Be cautious in the wet with the stock tires.

After riding my 16' for about a week, an hour a day, I had to replace that torture device that Honda calls a seat.
With my gloves on I found I could barely feel the handlebars, so I replaced the grips with bigger ones.
Riding on the highway at 80mph with trucks and severe wind shear forced me to buy a taller windshield.
Once I upgraded from a $50 helmet to a $200 helmet, I had to install a top case because the frunk was no longer big enough.
All of the above were for my comfort. The bike itself hasn't given me a moments trouble. I'm just waiting for the Chicago snow to end.

Forget the key advice. The 2016 had a different style of key. You can make a frunk lock , just use Honda blanks. Bring more $$ than you thought you'd need.

Things that need upgrading/adding ASAP are:

Centerstand - I couldn't find holes in the swingarm to mount sprockets to raise my bike for maintenance, like I did with my Ninja's. A centerstand is a must.

Windscreen - If you ride on the freeway over 60 mph you'll need something better. I went cheap and got the Puig screen in light smoke. When it didn't provide enough protection (helmet buffeting) I added one of the cheap eBay screens that attach to the top and can be raised/ lower as needed. Works great for the price. Unless you know what size works from riding someone else's NC700, get an adjustable screen.
Puig Touring Windscreen Honda NC700X / NC750X | 5% ($4.69) Off! - RevZilla

Seat - get an Airhawk or some kind of pad. I went with a Sargent and am pretty happy with it.
Sargent Seats - Honda NC 700 X 2012+ World Sport Seat

Tailbox - my bike came with a tailrack, so I added a Givi Monolock. Other than needing the key in it to open AND close it (I'd prefer only needing the key to lock it) it works well. It has a weight limit of only 3 kilos (6.6 pounds), so if you want to carry heavier things go with the Monokey, which needs its own rack.
Givi E370 Tech Monolock Top Case | 10% ($17.90) Off! - RevZilla

Radiator Guard - the radiator is very exposed so this should be added. Many styles out there. I went with the AltRider
AltRider Radiator Guard Honda NC700X / NC750X - RevZilla

+1 on the center stand. If you are planning to work on the motorcycle yourself you will not regret it. Really simplifies minor and major maintenance.

Back