• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Higher seat on NC750x

JJman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

UK based tall rider here (6ft9). I've got a NC750x '18, and I hate the seat (like most of us), plus the bike itself is quite low for me.

Do you have any suggestions on how do I make this bike more suitable for me? E.g. what type of seat, how do I increase the height, can I increase the height of the wheel etc.
All I know is that I can adjust the foot pegs.

You may want to consider a set of drop pegs for your feet to give you a bit more leg room. Be aware that if you lean hard in corners you may scrape your foot pegs on the asphalt if you use drop pegs.

Maybe a set of handlebar risers to raise the bars, you probably don't need the offset risers that bring them back closer to you but raising them up might help. They come in various sizes.

As far as the seat goes, contacting an aftermarket seat maker and having them build you one with an extra inch or two(?) of padding might work.

You may want to consider a set of drop pegs for your feet to give you a bit more leg room. Be aware that if you lean hard in corners you may scrape your foot pegs on the asphalt if you use drop pegs.

Maybe a set of handlebar risers to raise the bars, you probably don't need the offset risers that bring them back closer to you but raising them up might help. They come in various sizes.

As far as the seat goes, contacting an aftermarket seat maker and having them build you one with an extra inch or two(?) of padding might work.

Thanks. I've browsed the forum, but the custom seat manufacturers I've found are in the US... Any suggestions for the seat?

Watch the first 3.5 minutes of my video how to cheaply and easily raise the front seat of your NC.

Oh yeah, I've seen this in the past, but it's a whole construction that I don't think I can make, I'm not a DIYer so much :)
I'm mostly after a ready one, or someone else to help me with it.

Oh yeah, I've seen this in the past, but it's a whole construction that I don't think I can make, I'm not a DIYer so much :)
I don’t know of UK based seat makers but there are probably some? Any automotive upholstery shop should be able to reconstruct a seat with varying densities of foam to increase the height and contour it differently too. Of course they would build it on your existing seat pan so you’d be bikeless during the process. Might want to talk to a couple shops now and schedule something for January when the weather is cold?

The only fabrication was to bend that metal strap.
The piece of metal was bought from a home supply store, and it was predrilled.
It was a really simple task.
It may look daunting to you, but my suggestion is just to try making it.
You must have a Home Depot or Lowe's type of store near you.

Here's the link to what I used for the strap:

Here's the link for what I used for the rubber bumpers:

Put the pictures on your phone, go to the store, and ask them for something similar.
The two large predrilled holes are the ones that attach over top of the current seat bracket.
All you need to do is bend the ends of the strap so the holes of the strap align with the holes of the current bracket.
If you have a friend with a vise, a hammer, and a ruler or tape measure, Bob's your uncle!
I know you can do it!

Last edited:

This exactly. I'm not as tall as you, but I'm on the taller side. Drop pegs and risers, at 40-50 bucks each, are the cheapest and easiest way to change the ergos on your NC. It's also simple enough that an inebriated monkey can do it. The only thing is the risers get a bit fiddly rerouting the brake cable. If you google Finnmike he has somevids where he walks you through it.

In the short term you can just place the tab on the front of the seat ON TOP of the existing seat retaining strap instead of in it. The two bolts at the rear of the seat keep it in place. Ask in a hardware store for round rubber non-slip feet with adhesive backs. Maybe the 1/4" or 6mm thick ones. Two or three of these stacked on top of each other and placed where the existing rubbers on the underside of the seat bear against the frame will support your weight. This is exactly what I did until I could fabricate a longer lasting alternative.

Pics of the underside of a NC seat and assorted rubber spacers or feet. The tab of the seat is right in the middle above the square of exposed seat foam. One of the rubber feet is missing on the seat. You will see where the rubbers on the seat bear on the metal frame of the bike.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

Two or three of these stacked on top of each other and placed where the existing rubbers on the underside of the seat bear against the frame will support your weight. This is exactly what I did until I could fabricate a longer lasting alternative.
This is indeed a very short term solution.
The factory rubber stops for the seat are held in place by a mushroom type small rubber plug on the top of the rubber stops.
Removing the factory rubber stops (not easy because of the rubber mushroom mini tip) and replacing with a non-attached stop will result in the seat not being adequately secured to prevent lateral slippage.
Using a replacement rubber with only adhesive on it is not a great choice IMHO.

Hi,

UK based tall rider here (6ft9). I've got a NC750x '18, and I hate the seat (like most of us), plus the bike itself is quite low for me.

Do you have any suggestions on how do I make this bike more suitable for me? E.g. what type of seat, how do I increase the height, can I increase the height of the wheel etc.
All I know is that I can adjust the foot pegs.
The Seat Concepts standard seat install will give you about 1" added height and is wider too, and more comfortable than the terrible stocker. Also, I'd suggest maxing out the preload on your rear shock. If you don't know how to do that, just do some searching on youtube. It's kind of aggravating to do, just takes some time. Helps if you have a center stand too. But increasing preload will raise the height of the bike also.

This is indeed a very short term solution.
The factory rubber stops for the seat are held in place by a mushroom type small rubber plug on the top of the rubber stops.
Removing the factory rubber stops (not easy because of the rubber mushroom mini tip) and replacing with a non-attached stop will result in the seat not being adequately secured to prevent lateral slippage.
Using a replacement rubber with only adhesive on it is not a great choice IMHO.
You stack the adhesive rubber feet to the existing ones inserted into the seat. No need to remove the originals. After I did fabricate a new strap for the tab on top of the original one..... I never replaced the stick-ons and those feet lasted for close to 25,000 miles before I installed a Sargent seat.

As an added bonus, popping the seat up with spacers like dduelin says will help with the forward slope the NC is infamous for.
That's actually what a senior forum did way back when we first got the NC700X in the USA. It's called the Showkey Mod after him.

Post #146:

Back